Case Review: Blurex Slim Folio Tablet Case - magnet sleep/wake

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey there, folks.

A few of you may be familiar with some of my holster/case reviews over on the VZW Galaxy Nexus forum. I have been asked to pony up some pictures of my new Blurex ultra-slim folio case for my Nexus 7 tablet. Well, here they are...

DSC_3927 (1024x679).jpg

This is the front of the case, closed (obviously!), with the Nexus 7 in place. The case lid cover is very firmly closed using a tension style tab on the right side of the case. It does take a comforting degree of effort to open up the case lid.

As you can also see from this front angle, the case makes clear accommodations for the bottom USB and headphone audio jack. There is also a pen/stylus holder that is stitched onto the right side of the case, just under the locking tab.

DSC_3928 (1024x679).jpg

This angle is from the back of the case. From here, you can see a much more visual picture of the cutouts from the bottom of the case. You may also notice that there are also a line of circular knockouts that accommodates the bottom-back speakers of the unit.

DSC_3929 (1024x680).jpg

This angle above is from the back of the case, however, I wanted to show it from the top of the case. Near the corner cutout of the case, Blurex made sure that it did not obstruct the microphone hole. You can clearly see the cutout on the right side of the Nexus 7 where it makes for full access of the power and volume rocker buttons.

DSC_3925 (1024x630).jpg

Alrighty, above here is a picture of the Blurex case, opened, revealing its microfiber lined interior. It is soft and is not abrasive at all. Under the front lid of the case, Blurex has installed an elastic strip near the edge of the lid, along with an additional strip of microfiber. The strip of microfiber is stitched to the inside of the lid with a piece of black elastic on either side. I have not figured out what it's function is yet, but their existence there does not interfere with the function of the case in any way when opened or closed. On the same side where the extra microfiber attachment is, there is a magnet. It is possible (although, I have not conducted any tests to confirm this) that this attachment is a microfiber enclosed thin piece of magnetic material.

You will also notice that the tablet slides into and is held firmly in place by 6 different grab points. When installed properly, the tablet is VERY securely in place. The beauty (and my favorite part of these Blurex cases) is that the tablet is secured into the case without any obstruction to the front bezel of the tablet.

DSC_3926 (1024x669).jpg

Here is a closer look at the grab attachments. On the inside of each grab point is a lining of microfiber.

DSC_3930 (1024x742).jpg

Above in this picture, you see the tablet in one of the case's upright positions. There is about three different pitches that you can set the tablet (in its landscape mode, of course). On the inside of the front case lid, there are channels that have been made to allow the tablet to rest seated so that it will sit in the desired angles without fear that it will slip.

DSC_3931 (1024x680).jpg

Here is a different angle, from the side, that shows how the landscape resting works. No big innovation here as several folio cases uses the same method. Nonetheless, the method works well.

DSC_3932 (1024x650).jpg

The picture here shows my Nexus 7 tablet w/Blurex case sitting nicely next to my Kindle Fire with its own respective Blurex case. Both are made very similarly in quality and as you can see from my Kindle, the case is still holding up well. To me, that is impressive as my 3 sons have taken the Fire and its Blurex case to its paces. There are no busted stitches, the microfiber lining is still perfectly intact (but tinted more to that nice "used" color tone...lol). The Nexus 7 version of the case feels just a tad bit thinner than the Fire...but solid!

DSC_3933 (1024x429).jpg

Case open, the two rivalries side by side. On the Kindle Fire version of the case, there is just a bit more "meat" on the grab contacts than that of the Nexus 7 version. Nothing to worry about here as it feel very robust still. You notice there is no elastic or extra attachments on the Kindle version...nor a loop for a stylus. Nice additions for the Nexus model.

DSC_3934 (1024x680).jpg

You can see that with one unit on top of the other, there is very little difference in thickness between the two. The Kindle Fire is a thicker slab than the Nexus 7, but to the naked eye (especially in their respective cases)...it's hard to tell.

So there you have it. I hope that these images help for those who requested them. If you require images from a different angle or a part of the case that is not rendered well in the pictures above, PM or email me and I'll try to get one for you.

My opinion here...I love Blurex cases, particularly this style that doesn't cover up the bezel. My first time seeing one was for the Blackberry Playbook. I liked it so much I hounded Alex at Blurex until he gave me a date of when he was going to release one for the Fire. I have had nothing but awesome experiences with it so far and I don't see any reason why the Nexus 7 version of the case won't give me equally pleasant times.

The case uses a synthetic leatherette on the outside of the case that feels great. Hard to tell it's not a grain leather, aside from the total lack of smell. Despite what some reviewers have stated, there is no scent or stink from these cases. They look and feel very classy and tasteful.

I got mine from Amazon.

Blurex Ultra Slim Folio from Amazon

There are some criticisms about the way Blurex prices these things. Just like it was for my Kindle Fire case, when it became first available on Amazon, Blurex priced them at $4.99. Awesome price! A few days after it's release, the price jumps to $10. A week or so later now, it's starting to settle at $12-$14. I don't think it will move much from this price range as full production of the case has materialized. I think they kind of give a discount to early adopters, but the window is very small. I personally feel that at $15-$20, the price for the case is worth it. At $10 or less, it's a steal for the functionality and quality. It's in line with the average price of most cases in it's class. And since it's fulfilled by Amazon now, you can get free shipping...especially, if you're an Amazon Prime member.

If you have further questions that you need answered, you should consider going to Blurex: Tablet accessories Wireless Repeaters, iPad cases and emailing ALEX. He has been nothing but helpful at answering my questions and maintaining a solid line of communication.

And no...I do NOT work for Blurex. :D

Last edited:

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Case Review: Blurex Slim Folio Tablet Case - magnet sleep/wa

Looks almost identical to the leather one I got from Poetic. The microfiber piece on the inside attached with elastic does not hold the magnet, it is a hand strap so you can tuck your fingers inside and hold it with the cover folded back more securely. Did you try folding the cover all the way back flat against the back to make sure that the magnet doesn't put the Nexus to sleep? That was a flaw with the first batch of the Poetics, they are sending out new ones at no charge to the people that got that batch.

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice review. This case looks to very similar to the poetic and iblazon. Still waiting on the new poetic iPad style case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Looks almost identical to the leather one I got from Poetic. The microfiber piece on the inside attached with elastic does not hold the magnet, it is a hand strap so you can tuck your fingers inside and hold it with the cover folded back more securely. Did you try folding the cover all the way back flat against the back to make sure that the magnet doesn't put the Nexus to sleep? That was a flaw with the first batch of the Poetics, they are sending out new ones at no charge to the people that got that batch.

Yes, the magnet functions as it should. Apparently, the first few initial production units were problematic in this regard as well. The final production pieces work fine as the magnet only sets the tablet in sleep mode when the case lid is properly closed. When folded all the way in the open position (folded completely behind the back of the tablet), it does not engage the sleep function. The early production units was said to have utilized magnets that were too strong.

Ah, thanks for the enlightenment regarding the hand strap. Yes, the Blurex looks amazingly identical to the Poetic. I wouldn't be surprised if it is contracted for both distribution labels.

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Paul, you're killing me with your misspelling of "its" the possessive. An easy way to remember is to think of the words his and hers, also possessive and also no apostrophe.

Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: rmeigs

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Paul, you're killing me with your misspelling of "its" the possessive. An easy way to remember is to think of the words his and hers, also possessive and also no apostrophe.

Sorry for the rant.

Whoa...I didn't realize that there were so many grammar and spelling nazis lurking around these parts.

In an effort to soothe your rant, I too measures to abolish a few of those apostrophes that keeps you awake at night.

:p

MajesticFlame

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Poetic case that I was going to post images of. Since they are the same as was already mentioned I guess I don't need to. ;)

So far my only complaint is that I wish the spine was a little stiffer. If you use the hand strap the spine twists a little. It is fine if you don't use the hand strap though.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I just got my Poetic case that I was going to post images of. Since they are the same as was already mentioned I guess I don't need to. ;)

So far my only complaint is that I wish the spine was a little stiffer. If you use the hand strap the spine twists a little. It is fine if you don't use the hand strap though.

I agree about the spine, however you can use the elastic over the bezel and it helps a bit.

Reactions: jaycook777

rockyp9

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the review, Paul. I ordered the Blurex Ultra Slim last night from Amazon for $7.60 with Prime free shipping using code IGKGG5ZA ($5 off). :D

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the review, Paul. I ordered the Blurex Ultra Slim last night from Amazon for $7.60 with Prime free shipping using code IGKGG5ZA ($5 off). :D

Thank you so much for posting that promo code for the $5 off. I had just placed my order before I saw your post. Luckily I was able to cancel before the status changed to "shipping soon" and I was able to reorder using the code! ($7.60 with Prime free shipping, as well).

This will be my 3rd case for my Nexus 7. I started off with the $15 AmazonBasics generic 7" Tablet folio for the Kindle Fire/Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 . It was nice for what it was, but I had always intended to use it only until something better became available. Next I bought the other Blurex case (Blurex Magyc), which is great, except for the velcro.

This Blurex "Slim Folio" is really the case I wanted all along, but wasn't yet available when I ordered the others. Hopefully, I'll be happy. I really don't need to buy any more cases for my Nexus 7! LOL

Tonzilla

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the review, just ordered this case. And thank you so much for the $5 promotion code, much appreciated! Can't wait for it to arrive!

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Glad to hear you guys got in on a good deal. You will be very pleased with the case. I have been using mine pretty heavily for the last few days and it is a joy to use. By the way, the impact drop protection is really good too. Have dropped my Blurex protected Kindle Fire a few times on a hard surface already wit no negative effects. :)

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Sorry for the rant.

Serious...this is a forum not an English class, take the info not the delivery..talk about anal!

Then be passive aggressive and apologize for ranting?

Anal retentive:
A term used to refer to a person who feels a need to be in control of all aspects of his or her surroundings. Or, in other words, an anal retentive person "can't let go of s#@!"

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I've got my yoomee case

It looks amazing similar to the Blurex and Poetic counterparts. Actually, I prefer the darker microfiber lining of yours. In either case, I'm sure you like yours as much as I like my Blurex version.

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

I got my YooMee case last week as well, and it is pretty much identical to the Poetic one except for the black microfiber lining which I prefer. So the Poetic replacement (which fixed the magnet issue) went to my wife, and I am now using the YooMee.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney