Shockproof case?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone seen or found a decent shockproof case that would be similar to an otterbox or something? Trying to help a friend out who is a paramedic and is always dropping his ipad in its otterbox. He would like to get an n7 but wants to make sure there is a really rugged case out there for it.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any yet. I suppose you want to easily be able to use it in the case.
This looks like more for transporting.
Amazon.com: Pelican 1055CC HardBack eReader Case w/Liner - Black: Electronics

This is funny... maybe iBallz stretched over a TPU case and a good screen protector.
The Original Universal Tablet Stablizing and Shock Absorbing Harness | iBallz

This says its impact resistant. Maybe do a search for Silicone Gel or TPU cases. I don't know much about them but those keywords might help you find something. I guess the gel ones are usually thicker.
http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Googl...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2128289

Last edited:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
This is funny... maybe iBallz stretched over a TPU case and a good screen protector.
The Original Universal Tablet Stablizing and Shock Absorbing Harness | iBallz

LOL I can't believe that actually exists. That made my day--four mini tennis balls and some elastic = a case...

If I were you, I'd keep tabs on some notable shockproof case brands--I'm sure many are in the process of developing cases for the Nexus 7. None have cases yet, but here are their URLs:
Trident Case - Shop Products
Google Nexus 7 Sleeves > so far they have sleeves, I'm sure actual cases will come out soon.
Tablet Cases | Gumdrop Cases
Accessories for Tablet Devices | Griffin Technology

honestly, your friend will probably be fine with any decent quality TPU case.

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
There is a restaurant in central Florida that uses iPad 2 for customers to order and they use the Gumdrop case for protection, they hand each guest an iPad that they leave at the table, I asked the hostes how many have been damaged by dinners dropping them and he told me so far none.

Check out their web site http://www.carmelcafe.com

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

Meriarijim

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to actually try any of the sturdier shockproof cases? Are they really bulky? Are you able to then fit them into a case for portability that would protect the screen as well?

What is the best way (in addition to a warranty and uber parenting) to protect the N7?
And should I have a front screen shield? Or is that primarily necessary if I get a sleeve vs a case?

I'm looking to purchase a Nexus 7, however the primary user will be my 4 year old son. Ideally something to keep him entertained while waiting for older sister at dance \ swimming etc. Unfortunately though we are a tech saavy household, we can't afford to be a high tech household ;) Our current phones are still flip phones, and our laptops are carried in cases... so we have no experience with the Tablet \ Phone cases available. Any assistance, comments, thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to purchase a Nexus 7, however the primary user will be my 4 year old son. Ideally something to keep him entertained while waiting for older sister at dance \ swimming etc. Unfortunately though we are a tech saavy household, we can't afford to be a high tech household ;) Our current phones are still flip phones, and our laptops are carried in cases... so we have no experience with the Tablet \ Phone cases available. Any assistance, comments, thoughts are appreciated.
I'd say that Gumdrop case that member Toast95135 posted looks like it would be ideal for child-proofing. Add a screen protector and you should be set.

ajbrsb

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Gumdrop case in today and i have to say i like it alot, built in screen protector and the silicone cover is very solid feeling. Definetly wont be so scared to let my kids play on it now!!

Meriarijim

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Did it bulk up the size quite a bit? And does the built in screen protecter change the reaction with the screen? I'm concerned about it being a floppy screen on top and not feeling like part of the N7... I also feel like it also makes it much bulkier for little hands? yes\no... thoughts?

The Seidio case seems like it would be great with the added stand... anyone have this for the n7?

We've been using it without any protection for a month and so far so good... but I end up carrying it around wrapped in a towel in a little fuzzy kids backpack :) Hoping for something better for on the go \ in the car \ protect from drops and weather \ but still keeping he nice feel of the n7... I know - sorry - seems like a wishlist of big requests

ajbrsb

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I really dont think it bulked it up a whole lot, a little as would be expected but overall its nice. The built in screen protector is well designed in my opinion and fits nicely, no bubbles or any of that crap. My 3 and 5 year old still play on mine just fine and i dont have to worry so much about it.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 17
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 17
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG