Pelican case mod using old Playbook gel case, plus useful screen shield

TanithT

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a Pelican 1055CC case to protect my Nexus 7, as I'd heard that they were much too easy to damage. When it arrived, the fit was just loose enough that I started thinking about lining it with foam for better protection, as otherwise it would slide around inside the case.

Then I realized that I had a Blackberry Playbook Rim case sitting around that I had ordered when Best Buy promised the playbooks for sale cheap, took my money and kept it for two weeks over the Black Friday sales event, then decided that it was all a mistake and they had never been for sale through that site and would not be carried in the future. Which makes them giant jerks, but that's beside the point.

This case fits over the screen of the Nexus 7 very nicely. There is too much wiggle room for it to be usable as an actual case for this device, and obviously you wouldn't be able to use the touch screen with this case over the front of it, but it does make for a perfect transportation fit and extra screen protection inside the Pelican case. No wiggle, no slide, you can shake the case and there is no motion. It's not so tight a fit that it could damage anything, but it is just tight enough to work as padding inside the hard case. It is also very easy to (loosely) snap on and off the device when storing it inside the case. The other cases I have for my Nexus don't fit in the Pelican, so this was handy.

I was considering Velcro mounting it to the Pelican case, but then I figured out that it would be very handy to place over the screen while my Nexus is on my desk charging. I have cats, and they have been known to amuse themselves on my desk. Cat claws and cat hair will not do my Nexus any good, so the extra protection is handy. It is also useful as a screen shield if something ever gets spilled on my desk, though there is one camera hole up top on this case (which doesn't line up with the Nexus camera, of course). I put some tape over all of the unnecessary holes to make it a better spill protector.

The Playbook case is just big enough to be an easy fit over the screen, with enough snugness to stay put, but very easy to take back off. It is totally nonfunctional for use as an actual case for the Nexus, but very nice as a screen cover for when you aren't using the device.

I don't know as I would recommend buying a too-large case just for portable screen padding. Definitely don't pay a lot for it, since any random piece of silicon gel sheeting will do pretty much the same thing. For that matter, a towel will do the same thing. But if you happen to have a nice silicon gel case that *almost* fits lying around like I did, hey, why not. They're under $5 right now on Amazon, so if you do happen to want a casual-fit but heavy duty extra screen protector for when the device is not in use, this one works very nicely.

I snipped a little square off one side to allow it to sit flush to the screen while the charger was in, since the original holes and notches for the Blackberry device obviously don't line up with the Nexus. That mod took about thirty seconds with a nail clipper and gave me an even better 'snap-to' fit.

Last edited:

TanithT

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll see what I can do about pics. Not promising them soon, though. It's been busy around here.

And, mega cool - since the old Playbook case I had lying around was a translucent one, the GPS works great and is completely visible while the protective case is on the front. The touch screen definitely will not work through the thick skin of the gel case, but the screen is visible and it's functional with an app that basically runs itself for an extended period of time and doesn't require input. Eg, the CoPilot app.

I'm gonna upgrade my recommendation to 'yes, DO buy one of these cases' as a front screen protector for transport, just make sure it's a transparent one for that extra bit of GPS functionality. I got my basic X Design back case today, and the slightly-too-large Playbook case is now a much better fit around the front of the device and affords very good screen protection during transport with excellent screen visibility. No ability to use the touch screen, but that's a bad idea while driving anyhow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20