Non-Magnetic Case??

msonya997

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I am still waiting for my Nexus 7 to arrive, so I am looking into cases before the tablet gets here. Many of them out there offer the "sleep/wake" feature, but I read that magnets can interfere with the tablet and over time cause issues. I found this case on Amazon which doesn't have magnets.
Amazon.com: champiOnline's Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet Android 4.1 Rotating Case, Cover & Stand, Non Magnetic in Pink or Black: Computers & Accessories
There are virtually no other case's that are magnet free. It's a little pricey, but I think it's worth it if the magnet story is true. This is my first tablet, so my knowledge is limited. Any thoughts/experience with this??

msonya997

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I read some articles a friend told me about. Here's one of them:
New iPad Smart Cover incompatibility issue caused by magnet polarity | The Verge
It's about an iPad, but I was concerned the nexus might have the same problem or similar problem. I'm new to the tablet world, obviously, so I wanted to get more experienced/knowledgeable opinions.

The issue described in that article is just that some covers weren't made properly to operate the wake/sleep function. There's no issue of the magnet harming the tablet or anything else. The Nexus 7 (as well as many other tablets) are built with magnetic covers in mind. They make it so you open the case, and the tablet turns on, saving you a step. It's a wonderful feature.

hbquikcomjamesl

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Given that I still occasionally use magnetic media, I'm extremely (but justifiably) paranoid about allowing magnets around any computer hardware (other than those embedded in the hardware itself, as in part of a motor or a CRT yoke).

I ended up getting a cheaply-made case for $5 at the local Big Lots (the chain formerly known as Pic-n-Save). I'm going to be reconfiguring some of the elastic straps, but it does the job, and it's magnet-free.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the dismantling of the N7 on ifixit.com, you can see the sensor is not very close to anything like storage media, that I can tell. It's pretty location specific. I would just ensure the cover you get has a magnet that isn't too strong. It should only sleep the tablet if it's right on the spot, if it sleeps it from being "near" the spot, I'd say it's too strong.

Based on the size of the magnet in a case (e.g. the rooCASE Ultraslim Vegan Leather case I bought) I don't think there's much chance of harm, or long-term effect.

mtr013

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the Nexus 7 WIFI + Mobile. There are apparently no cases for this device yet in the Google store. Support says it is because it "interferes with mobile connectivity". I suspect this is due to the magnet. Support says it's because the case "covers where the antenna is". If it's not the magnet is there metal supports in the case or what?

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I was concerned as well. But I kept reading reviews, prices. Many are pretty similar in style. But in reviews I could see people talking about the company making new versions to fix bad magnets and shipping free replacements, etc. So I felt better about it. I like my Supcase.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

akbrian

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I also share this concern. For me the issue is the magnets having an effect on the accuracy of the internal magnetic compass of the Nexus 7. The save-for-offline-use option in Google Maps works well, as does the GPS, making it a great way to find your way around a new city. The compass is especially handy when walking. i love to find a good cover without the magnets.

scoparli

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I rec this case > Amazon.com: Accessorise Frameless Dual-View 100 Percent Premium Genuine Leather Folio cover case -Black: Computers & Accessories < It's cheap and it really does hold it. And the quality of the case is fantastic, the stitching matches the case so no white on black (or whatever color you choose). I got a TPU Rubber case (new x line) and stuck it on my nexus before applying it and it still holds amazingly. I got the TPU first because i didn't want my nexus touching adhesive but I even tested that and it still held very strong, didn't leave anything on it. I also wanted to be able to take it out and have something still protecting it, it also provides great bumper protection and grip.

Anyways, you peel and apply wait about 10-15 minutes then its ready. I shook it like crazy and even when you take it out you gotta put a some pull with it. It will not move.You can read the reviews the lowest one was 3 stars and they simply complained the strap had red in it not pink so it "stuck out like a sore thumb". I don't feel that way, I like it and I never second guess if i forgot to put the strap on. The case is soft on the outside and looks great. It stands vertical and horizontal and the stands are sturdy. Also I have unstuck and restuck it several times still held the same no loss in that. Just wipe it with a damp cloth let dry then reapply! For 5 bucks total great value.

Last edited: