Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter for Nexus devices (or any rooted Android device)

    I am working on a MicroSD to MicroUSB adapter, it would be small enough so that it really doesn't interfere with the device itself. However making it in small quantities is really expensive.

    I honestly hate the OTG cables, since I hate to have that "tail" on my Nexus 7, however they are so inexpensive that it is hard not to use them.

    I wonder, would it be any interest on a device like that? my goal is to gather enough people to build close to 500 units so that the price is reasonable.

    I already got the design done, and a prototype build, so I am going around asking anywhere i can to collect opinions to see if this is something that could spark any interest.
    Last edited by Maturola; 10-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
  2. #2  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    You could try kickstarter then post in the various forums.

    Honestly so many things are done OTA now (dropbox) I almost never have my phone plugged into the computer anymore. I only have it in for charging. I am trying to picture what you want to accomplish.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    You could try kickstarter then post in the various forums.

    Honestly so many things are done OTA now (dropbox) I almost never have my phone plugged into the computer anymore. I only have it in for charging. I am trying to picture what you want to accomplish.
    the project is on Indiegogo.com right now, we'll see how it develop.

    As far a OTA, I used it all the time, however I travel a lot and I am on the road a lot, not only the N7 doesn't have any Cell connectivity but when I am in a plane OTA is not always an options.
    Last edited by Maturola; 10-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Requiring $32 just to get one is a joke. I have participated in lots of Kickstarter programs but never had one so out of reality on values. This one will never see its goal. Good idea but it only cost me $12 to make one myself that I used for like a week before getting a wireless 500gb mobile harddrive for $50.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Requiring $32 just to get one is a joke. I have participated in lots of Kickstarter programs but never had one so out of reality on values. This one will never see its goal. Good idea but it only cost me $12 to make one myself that I used for like a week before getting a wireless 500gb mobile harddrive for $50.
    Thanks for the feedback, if you don't think that supporting the project to make it happen worth it I understand, That is the best compromise I could made in order to make 500 Units. If we could get 10K people to participate, yes the price per unit would be on the lower teens, however that would make the project goal too high to reach.

    The Injection molding alone cost near 6K (that alone is $14 per unit cost, at 500 units, Only $0.60 if you build 10K), FCC Filing and testing (Required for any electronic to be sold and distributed on the US) cost $3000 and so on.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
  6. #6  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    You could consider upping the target volume to bring down costs, but I'm not sure I would buy one as pictured. Something sticking out like that has too much risk of getting bumped and at best knocked loose, at worst damaging the microusb connector. I might look into a flexible extension to alleviate that issue, but at the price I just don't see it being worthwhile.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    You could consider upping the target volume to bring down costs, but I'm not sure I would buy one as pictured. Something sticking out like that has too much risk of getting bumped and at best knocked loose, at worst damaging the microusb connector. I might look into a flexible extension to alleviate that issue, but at the price I just don't see it being worthwhile.
    Thanks for the feedback, Bumped the production run to 1500, and adjusted the perks accordingly.

    Budget is a lot tighter so no room for error, but it worth the shot.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
  8. #8  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Maturola View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, Bumped the production run to 1500, and adjusted the perks accordingly.

    Budget is a lot tighter so no room for error, but it worth the shot.
    As long as you're not investing much until the Kickstarter (hopefully) goes through, it should be fairly low risk, so that's good. That's the beauty of Kickstarter.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Personally, I think you'd be better served by a right angle connector of some sort. Something to lower the profile of what sticks out of the device.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Tronmech View Post
    Personally, I think you'd be better served by a right angle connector of some sort. Something to lower the profile of what sticks out of the device.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Final Casing would be as small as it can be with the MicroSD socket and it will not be much area difference between the right angle and the straight out casing.

    Some of the drawing i did for the project:
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
  11. #11  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Are you still able to edit the formatting of your perks? Some of them seem a little hard to follow what exactly you'll get, and I think a bullet list would really help. For example,

    $16
    "Early Bird Special" (Only 50)
    Your Name on the Website as SILVER Sponsor, 1x MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter PLUS 1x MicroSD Card Holder that can hold up to 10 standard Micro SD memory cards and one standard “Micro SD to SD card adapter” Guaranteed to be the first shipment of Productions units. (Free shipping within the US, add $10 for International shipping)
    Could be rewritten:

    $16
    "Early Bird Special" (Only 50)
    You get:
    - 1x MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter
    - 1x MicroSD Card Holder that can hold up to 10 standard Micro SD memory cards
    - 1x standard “Micro SD to SD card adapter”
    - Your Name on the Website as SILVER Sponsor
    - Guaranteed to be the first shipment of Productions units.
    - Free shipping within the US (add $10 for International shipping)
    Just seems easier to follow, and to quickly tell the difference between levels of support.

    I also think the way your video comes across, it gives the impression that the devices shown are example devices, when they're actually SD to microUSB adapters that are much larger than you're proposing making. I understand you can't really fab up an example device easily, so you have to rely on sketches, etc, but if you could better portray the actual size/shape of the final device, it would probably help promote it a lot. You may also want to add some targeting for the new nexus devices that are lacking microsd slots, and try to spread the word in their forums, etc.

    I'm more tempted as I realize how small this device should actually be. It's too easy to picture it the size of an SD to micro USB adapter.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Are you still able to edit the formatting of your perks? Some of them seem a little hard to follow what exactly you'll get, and I think a bullet list would really help. For example,
    Could be rewritten:
    Just seems easier to follow, and to quickly tell the difference between levels of support.
    I also think the way your video comes across, it gives the impression that the devices shown are example devices, when they're actually SD to microUSB adapters that are much larger than you're proposing making. I understand you can't really fab up an example device easily, so you have to rely on sketches, etc, but if you could better portray the actual size/shape of the final device, it would probably help promote it a lot. You may also want to add some targeting for the new nexus devices that are lacking microsd slots, and try to spread the word in their forums, etc.

    I'm more tempted as I realize how small this device should actually be. It's too easy to picture it the size of an SD to micro USB adapter.
    Thank you very much for your feedback.

    About the perks, yes I want to do Bullet point so bad, but I don't think indiegogo allows it, on my "edit" it is display as bullet point, each on separate line, but once is published it just comes out as a single liner (I look around others projects and they seen to look the same way).

    I am going to op to actually display the perks on a better format on the description. Perks cannot be edited once they had been claimed.

    I will also add annotations to the video just to remark that the product shown is a prototype/sample casing and do not reflect the final design.

    I am trying hard to display that better, but I haven't been successful yet.

    I'll work on it and see what can i do, thanks again

    MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter for Nexus devices (or any rooted Android device)-img_20121101_130652.jpg
    Last edited by Maturola; 11-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
  13. #13  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    This is the kind of thing you will be competing with - all one would need to purchase is the micro usb to female adapter to plug this into.

    Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black): Electronics

    I wish you success.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    This is the kind of thing you will be competing with - all one would need to purchase is the micro usb to female adapter to plug this into.

    Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black): Electronics


    I wish you success.
    That's the whole point, no micro usb to female adapter needed, it is all in one, and way smaller, by the time you add the adapter, that thing is huge.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
  15. #15  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter for Nexus devices (or any rooted Android device)

    Could you overlap the plug with the micro sd slot to make it a bit more compact?

    Anyway, it is a bit expensive for me, I've already got a micro USB to USB adapter and one of those very small micro sd readers and while it is bigger than I'd like it's manageable and I don't use it much so I can't justify spending more than a few quid for something smaller.

    Still, it's a nice idea, so good luck with it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Maturola View Post
    That's the whole point...that thing is huge
    I agree, although "huge" is not the term I would use even if larger than it could be LOL.

    I will post a pic of my setup when the parts arrive which should be next week sometime to show the relative size. IMO, it is more important to ensure that your device is even more reliable than the elago setup and you will do fine even at a moderate price premium.

    I look forward to a post with a pic of your actual production device and a link to where one might purchase one. I could be a customer for a few.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    I agree, although "huge" is not the term I would use even if larger than it could be LOL.

    I will post a pic of my setup when the parts arrive which should be next week sometime to show the relative size. IMO, it is more important to ensure that your device is even more reliable than the elago setup and you will do fine even at a moderate price premium.

    I look forward to a post with a pic of your actual production device and a link to where one might purchase one. I could be a customer for a few.
    Sure i will keep all the threat update with info we get funded, we need as much support as we can get to make it happen, without the initial push it may no happen at all.

    As far as comparing the reliability compare to a OTG cable + MicroSD to USB adater or flash drive, we been running constant test on the device for 2 weeks now, no issue except for one (Nexus 7 running custom ROM freeze if you unplug the device or remove the SD card while it is on sleep) we are currently looking into that, it doesn't happen with stock rom.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
  18. #18  

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    I have no desire for a mSD reader with a mUSB port. Too much fiddling.

    That said, if I could get one of these, in 32GB size preferably, but with a native mUSB connector. I'd pay $30 for that.

    -Suntan
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I have no desire for a mSD reader with a mUSB port. Too much fiddling.

    That said, if I could get one of these, in 32GB size preferably, but with a native mUSB connector. I'd pay $30 for that.

    -Suntan
    We look into that, however we are too small of a company to accomplis such a thing, The way they do those ultra small flash drive is using silicon die directly wirebond to the PCB, companies are very protective of their silicon and only provide it to very selective client (Usually very large manufactures). The smallest we can access to is Sandisk iNAND that it is about the size of a US Penny.

    MicroSD to Micro USB Adapter for Nexus devices (or any rooted Android device)-inand-coins.jpg

    We are working with our local rep to get more information about this part and see if it is possible to build a MicroUSB flash drive, however at this point we know for sure that it will be larger than the MicroSD to Micro USB adapter.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS

Similar Threads

  1. iPod to Micro USB - does an adapter exist?
    By koalabear in forum Incredible Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
  2. USB to Micro SDHC adapter
    By harryzwd in forum EeePad Transformer Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
  3. mini to micro USB adapter
    By aznmode in forum HTC EVO 3D Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
  4. How can I change my video out from HDMI to Micro USb like the Droid Incredible.
    By mark1107 in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM
  5. Mini/Micro USB Adapters I bought make EVO act weird!
    By MultiMatt in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

B