(UPDATED w/pictures) "Vostrostone" or similar Bluetooth keyboard cover?

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Last night, I stumbled on this Bluetooth "cover" for the Nexus 7 at Amazon.com (Amazon link)
41hJq5kzDAL.jpg 41KJEHlbFFL.jpg

There's also a similar model on Ebay (Ebay link)
$(KGrHqV,!lcFBLq6M06kBQi!Vf7IlQ~~60_1.JPG $(KGrHqZ,!oQFB,BwnRyyBQi!VfR!Jg~~60_1.JPG

It looks like an interesting concept. Anyone purchase and receive one of these?

I ordered one from Ebay, and its ETA is in a few weeks (shipping from HK) so I'll write a review after I receive it.

Last edited:

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Vostrostone" or similar Bluetooth keyboard cover?

Also bought this couple days back my only concern is the size of the keys and maybe they might be a touch too small and make it uncomfortable. However the measurement of the keyboard is similar to most regular 7 inch tablet keyboards so it should be ok

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Also bought this couple days back my only concern is the size of the keys and maybe they might be a touch too small and make it uncomfortable. However the measurement of the keyboard is similar to most regular 7 inch tablet keyboards so it should be ok

An identical one on its way to me from MiniSuit. For 25 bucks I figure I might as well give it a try.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site

These people keep posting about this keyboard. I like the look of it but I want to know what its like as a case 1st there Dont seem to be many pics of it as a case.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

These people keep posting about this keyboard. I like the look of it but I want to know what its like as a case 1st there Dont seem to be many pics of it as a case.

Look up youtube videos for the Logitech Galaxy case. If it's essentially the same design, it should work great. The only thing I'm suspicious about is the fact that they couldn't even find a real N7 for the stock images lol.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Look up youtube videos for the Logitech Galaxy case. If it's essentially the same design, it should work great. The only thing I'm suspicious about is the fact that they couldn't even find a real N7 for the stock images lol.
Looks very similar indeed to the Logitech Galaxy Case. If Logitech made one for N7 that's probably what I would have bought. I have had good luck with Logitech over the years. We'll see how MiniSuit fares. I only hope it comes in time for me to try and to post pics before I leave for Vancouver for the holidays. I would like to take it along with me on on the trip.

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

As I said above, the case is shipping from Hong Kong to the US, so I won't even get it for a couple more weeks. But I will review it when I get is.

That said, it's not so much a "case" as a "cover". Based on the photos on Amazon and Ebay, it appears to attach on the display side of the N7 leaving the back mostly exposed, but protecting the screen and the keyboard.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

As I said above, the case is shipping from Hong Kong to the US, so I won't even get it for a couple more weeks. But I will review it when I get is.

That said, it's not so much a "case" as a "cover". Based on the photos on Amazon and Ebay, it appears to attach on the display side of the N7 leaving the back mostly exposed, but protecting the screen and the keyboard.
Exactly this. Looks almost like two N7s screen to screen.

Well, Jim, I got mine in three days from MiniSuit. It'll do, I guess. The N7 is held in the keyboard / cover by three small plastic nibs that just barely grip the back of the bezel on the N7. Mine was slightly warped and one of the nibs doesn't hold well. Maybe a little heat and pressure can bring it back. Not a very secure hold and if you have it in a little attache type bag with some other gear like chargers / cables it will probably need a strap or similar to be secure. Great concept. If it had been aluminum it could be adjusted but plastic, not so much. I would put this into a slipcase or something at minimum to carry just to hold it together. YMMV if you happen to get one that fits a little better than the one I got. For $25 bucks, I sure am not sending it back unless the keyboard proves non-functional.
Propped up in the groove in landscape the N7 / keyboard combo is pretty stable. In portrait mode, however it is not so much. It either tries to flip over backwards or pry the keyboard bezel loose from the keyboard. Charging it up now and we will see how it works for typing. Seems a little cramped for size but I expected that.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Decided against buying it, I think I'm fine with my keyboard case.

What they need to do is bring back the foldable keyboards that people used to use on their PDAs, like this: HP G750 Portable Foldable Keyboard for iPAQ 249711 002 | eBay. The design is absolutely perfect--keyboard folds in on itself, popout device stand acts as a cover for the keyboard when closed, etc. But the closest Bluetooth alternative is the iGo Stowaway, which will set you back at least $100 new and probably isn't manufactured anymore.

Such a beautiful design, too bad it never translated to Bluetooth. The highly anticipated Jorno keyboard looks much bulkier, and seems perpetually 'in production'.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't understand, why would you need to type on a picture of an airplane?

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site

I received the keyboard today, and was surprised by its small size. It's small--the size of the Nexus 7, actually. Of course, this makes sense, because it's designed to act as a screen cover as well. For the $25 I paid for it, it certainly seems to measure up against similar keyboard.

Design
The design is really slick. It looks like it was definitely made for the N7, not as an afterthought. It could easily be marketed by Google and no one would know any different. It is important to note that this keyboard/case does NOT have a magnet in it to turn the N7 on and off. But then again, it's not really designed for that kind of use. What I mean is that if you just want a quick open-use-close device, then this is not for you. In that scenario, I highly recommend a case such as the MoKo or similar. This keyboard/case is designed to be taken off, set down, connected, and used for typing. It's very simple to start using, but it also is designed for longer-term keyboard interaction, not classic "tablet" use.

Construction
This keyboard is pretty solid. If does flex somewhat, but it's expected since the overall construction is plastic. And on a flat surface, you don't notice at all. The keys are nicely spaced, and while they are small, they appear to have decent travel for their size.

While it would be fantastic if this keyboard/case was aluminum instead of plastic, I would be afraid that the extra weight of the aluminum would cause it to weigh even more--something I really don't want. Which leads me to....

Weight
This is a hefty keyboard weighing in at about 7.6 oz. on a postal scale. (On the same scale, my N7 weighed in at 11.9 oz.) So overall, expect this case to bring your N7 to well over a pound. That said, the combination is still pretty slick, and it feels solid, substantial, and sturdy.

Impressions as a keyboard
Let's not pull any punches here. This is a small keyboard, and I seriously doubt I could touch-type like I can on a full-sized keyboard. But this keyboard could be better than the myriad of on-screen keyboards. (Though the new swype features of Android 4.2 and other 3rd party onscreen keyboards have SIGNIFICANTLY improved my entry speeds.)

OK, enough rambling (I'm always at "Maximum verbosity" for you Zork fans) so here are some pictures for you....

Fits nicely in the hand.
View attachment 46536

In the "slot" horizontally.
(Yes, this probably looks distorted, but the Nexus IS the same size as the keyboard.)
View attachment 46537

In the slot vertically. Note that when vertical, it is somewhat top-heavy, but it is somewhat stable.
View attachment 46538

The keyboard clips to the N7 with 3 clips and mine fits snugly.
The gray color of the keyboard is slightly off from the Nexus 7, but honestly, it's not very noticeable.
View attachment 46539 View attachment 46540

Here's the USB connector. It lets you charge the keyboard.
View attachment 46541

The face (actually the bottom) of the keyboard is made of silicone, and is dimpled similarly to the
N7, however the dimples are spaced slightly farther apart than on the N7. Not sure if this was due
to copyright compliance, cheaper to manufacture, or what. It's only noticeable if you look for it.
View attachment 46542

A couple more general shots of the keyboard and its layout.
View attachment 46543
View attachment 46544

Here's a closeup of the controls. From left to right we see the Bluetooth Connect button, Power
on/off (has a 15 minute non-activity auto-off) Bluetooth Status light, Power level/charging light.
View attachment 46545

Here is a closeup of the Android-specific keys:
View attachment 46546

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry the images didn't post inline. Bummer.

I Carn't get any of your pics to load I would really like to see this keyboard

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I received the keyboard today, and was surprised by its small size. It's small--the size of the Nexus 7, actually. Of course, this makes sense, because it's designed to act as a screen cover as well. For the $25 I paid for it, it certainly seems to measure up against similar keyboard.

Design
The design is really slick. It looks like it was definitely made for the N7, not as an afterthought. It could easily be marketed by Google and no one would know any different. It is important to note that this keyboard/case does NOT have a magnet in it to turn the N7 on and off. But then again, it's not really designed for that kind of use. What I mean is that if you just want a quick open-use-close device, then this is not for you. In that scenario, I highly recommend a case such as the MoKo or similar. This keyboard/case is designed to be taken off, set down, connected, and used for typing. It's very simple to start using, but it also is designed for longer-term keyboard interaction, not classic "tablet" use.

Construction
This keyboard is pretty solid. If does flex somewhat, but it's expected since the overall construction is plastic. And on a flat surface, you don't notice at all. The keys are nicely spaced, and while they are small, they appear to have decent travel for their size.

While it would be fantastic if this keyboard/case was aluminum instead of plastic, I would be afraid that the extra weight of the aluminum would cause it to weigh even more--something I really don't want. Which leads me to....

Weight
This is a hefty keyboard weighing in at about 7.6 oz. on a postal scale. (On the same scale, my N7 weighed in at 11.9 oz.) So overall, expect this case to bring your N7 to well over a pound. That said, the combination is still pretty slick, and it feels solid, substantial, and sturdy.

Impressions as a keyboard
Let's not pull any punches here. This is a small keyboard, and I seriously doubt I could touch-type like I can on a full-sized keyboard. But this keyboard could be better than the myriad of on-screen keyboards. (Though the new swype features of Android 4.2 and other 3rd party onscreen keyboards have SIGNIFICANTLY improved my entry speeds.)

OK, enough rambling (I'm always at "Maximum verbosity" for you Zork fans) so here are some pictures for you....

Attachments

• 2012-11-15_13-23-19_978.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-23-19_978.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2012-11-15_13-23-42_674.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-23-42_674.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2012-11-15_13-24-27_295.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-24-27_295.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 2012-11-15_13-24-58_63.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-24-58_63.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 2012-11-15_13-25-11_740.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-25-11_740.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 2012-11-15_13-25-22_178.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-25-22_178.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 59
  • 2012-11-15_13-25-33_599.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-25-33_599.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 364
  • 2012-11-15_13-25-49_568.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-25-49_568.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 2012-11-15_13-25-57_751.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-25-57_751.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 2012-11-15_13-26-12_584.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-26-12_584.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2012-11-15_13-26-27_958.jpg
    2012-11-15_13-26-27_958.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 58

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I got it as a small portable keyboard/stand that will fit on the tiny flip out desk attachments in our uni lecture theatres. However I don't think the extra weight and the added cumbersomeness makes it suitable as a daily case/cover as you have to attach and take off continually. Plus you need to remember that it doesn't cover the back. Otherwise Great keyboard/stand option, awesome idea and I think much worth the 25 dollars.

christelr

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just received the vostrostone cover. I like that it has a rubberized backing like the Nexus, although if you look closely you'll see the dots are a different pattern (not as close together). I'm ok with the smaller keys as I have relatively small fingers, but the irksome thing with this keyboard is that the hinge/attachment point sticks up at the space bar, making my usual style of typing uncomfortable. Still faster for me than on screen typing. Paired up with no problem (previously had an igo stowaway keyboard and had to install an app to use the older version of Bluetooth). Pretty sturdy as a stand.

I like the compactness of the whole thing and ease of use in setting it up. The only thing I don't like is the placement of the hinge, wish it would fold down somehow.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Exactly this. Looks almost like two N7s screen to screen.

Well, Jim, I got mine in three days from MiniSuit. It'll do, I guess. The N7 is held in the keyboard / cover by three small plastic nibs that just barely grip the back of the bezel on the N7. Mine was slightly warped and one of the nibs doesn't hold well. Maybe a little heat and pressure can bring it back. Not a very secure hold and if you have it in a little attache type bag with some other gear like chargers / cables it will probably need a strap or similar to be secure. Great concept. If it had been aluminum it could be adjusted but plastic, not so much. I would put this into a slipcase or something at minimum to carry just to hold it together. YMMV if you happen to get one that fits a little better than the one I got. For $25 bucks, I sure am not sending it back unless the keyboard proves non-functional.
Propped up in the groove in landscape the N7 / keyboard combo is pretty stable. In portrait mode, however it is not so much. It either tries to flip over backwards or pry the keyboard bezel loose from the keyboard. Charging it up now and we will see how it works for typing. Seems a little cramped for size but I expected that.

Well, after using it this morning I have to say it is the best $25 gadget / accessory for a tablet I have ever used. Don't expect touch typing on it, it's just too small for that. But it beats any of the onsceen keyboards I have used. Lacks delete key but the cursor positioning arrow keys make it easy to work around this. No touch pad of course. I'm thinking a little bluetooth mouse and I have a great micro netbook. Quality on my unit is very good. No loose or unresponsive keys at all.
As a case I would not trust it to say clipped on to the tablet very well unless you slip the assembly into a sleeve or pouch.Or perhaps an elastic strap like tat used on some of the folio cases. For useability, and portability I highly recommend it. The leather keyboard folio case might offer better protection during transport but they all seem to be a little more expensive. If their keyboards perform as well as this one they might just be the way to go.

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung tablet you have has its own version of this for roughly the same price, saw it on ebay and scoopon a couple of weeks ago

t35rk

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
After 24 hours in with the new Nexus (Christmas present) the keyboard may be going back. The period key doesn't always work and a couple of times a random keystroke has erased a couple of paragraphs of text. It might be a slick accessory for some, but I'm finding it may be more trouble than its worth for me. Not much better than SwiftKey .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan