Nexus 7 3G wont fit official covers?

drblast33

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I noticed the Nexus 7 covers now say "wifi only". So, why didnt they come out with 3G compatible covers today? Has anyone who received a Nexus 7 3G for testing tried it with various covers/cases?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing the covers for the WiFi-only version will still fit. They probably indicate WiFi only for them because you won't be able to access the SIM card while the device is in the case.

drblast33

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I talked to someone at Google Play today. She was nice enough to talk to a few different people at Google. She claims the headphone jack was slightly moved to accommodate for the SIM card. So the new case will not allow the headphone jack to work properly. It will still fit, just holes don't match up... and it wont matter, if you don't use your headphones.

Cino

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
i have both, based on photos I saw, my hunch was right..... the headphone jack lines up... you can't access the sim and and the right mic doesn't line up.. everything else does.

admkrikt

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
i have both, based on photos I saw, my hunch was right..... the headphone jack lines up... you can't access the sim and and the right mic doesn't line up.. everything else does.

I've got both the WiFi and 3G versions and a standard issue case that I got with my WiFi N7 back in July. When I got my 3G, I decided to use the standard Google/Asus case with my WiFi N7. Here are the holes that line up from the WiFi case when using the 3G N7.

Speaker
Charging Port
Headphone Jack
Power button
Up/Down rocker

Things that don't line up (WiFi case, 3G N7)
Mic holes (WiFi mic holes are on the lower left side and top left side. The 3G mic holes are on the upper right side and lower left side but higher than the Wifi due to the SIM card placement)
Sim card holder

I just took a drill bit and drilled the upper right hand mic hole just above the power button and it works great. I've seen posts where you have to heat the drill bit up in order for the bit to melt the plastic, which isn't true. Put the case in grip or grip it to a table and start with a small drill bit and ream it out with larger bits. I had no problem with getting the hole the size I needed. The harder part was making sure it was in the right place. I only drilled one hole, but that's all I needed. Now I can use my WiFi standard issue case with my 3G N7.