Wireless Drives?

Mikesnexus

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone in the community here using a wireless drive such as the ones from Seagate or Kingston?
Pros/Cons? Likes/Dislikes? Tips and Tricks? Peanut butter/Jelly???
Thank You

Sent from my Nexus 7

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Not yet, but I am thinking of getting one as a portable media drive I can take with me. Hopefully someone will chime in on their experiences.

Mikesnexus

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Update:
Picked up a Seagate GoFlex 500 gig for 99.00 dollars at Best Buy.
Loving it so far and when I find the time I am going to replace the hard drive with an SSD and
Install better firmware.
Will be glad to answer any questions if someone interested.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Update:
Picked up a Seagate GoFlex 500 gig for 99.00 dollars at Best Buy.
Loving it so far and when I find the time I am going to replace the hard drive with an SSD and
Install better firmware.
Will be glad to answer any questions if someone interested.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Is that even wireless? And why would you replace the HD with a SSD? I mean there would be no speed increase over wifi, USB, etc....

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Is that even wireless? And why would you replace the HD with a SSD? I mean there would be no speed increase over wifi, USB, etc....

I'm guessing he means the Satellite (price & capacity match his description).

Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate

I can think of 4 reasons an SSD would be better:
1. No risk of a destroyed drive from a sudden jolt (dropped drive)
2. Lighter
3. Lower power usage = longer battery life
4. More responsive

That said, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a drive like that just to tear into it & swap parts. Maaaaaybe if I knew it'd been done by multiple other people with amazing results.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes that is pretty cool. I don't think the price on SSD's is quite there yet, but still would be interesting to know how much longer it's battery would go with one. Do these have any kind of security on their wifi?

YoshiB1

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Western Digital My Book Live 2TB. It's good. Comes with a good app called WD2go. It's got preview folders on it so you can download it and try it. The only issues with these types of drives is the movement of data from PC to the drive via wireless. Larger files can take a bit of time but not that much more. I think if you have a poor Internet connection then I wouldn't bother. I have 60mb fibre optic which works nicely with the drive. Streaming through the app and accessing the drive through the app works excellent. Movies play very well. Downloading from the drive onto a device works well too and doesn't take that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jyoungjr

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have AT&T MiFi that gives me wireless internet access anywhere that I go and it also takes a 32GB SD card that I can store files on and stream from. Seems to work well (only tried streaming one movie so far).

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have AT&T MiFi that gives me wireless internet access anywhere that I go and it also takes a 32GB SD card that I can store files on and stream from. Seems to work well (only tried streaming one movie so far).

That would be a good combo.

I tried getting my GSIII phone to do the same duty. Tethering the 4G connection is a piece of cake. However, getting the wifi direct and all-share uPnP server to work with the N7 was just too fidgity.

Ultimately, I just broke down and got one of those tiny usb flash drives to plug into my OTG cable.

-Suntan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781