Wait for Google Nexus 7 Dock or buy a 3rd party version?

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I just received my Nexus 7 yesterday and have been reading that Asus/Google seem to be hesitant to release a charging dock for it, so who knows when (or if) they ever will. Should I forget about getting the "official" dock and just purchase a grey market version, or can I hurt my connection ports by using a 3rd party charger? Do the currently available versions use those 4 pins to charge it or the mini-usb? Can someone recommend a good 3rd party one you are happy with? Thanks.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen anything that uses the 4-pin. Aftermarket docks use the usb port. Your choice on waiting/hoping or getting something else. I bought an iHome one early on, and I really don't use it for anything but propping the N7 up at night.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
All third party ones use the micro usb to charge as far as I'm aware, and if it doesn't fit perfectly it could put a strain on the micro usb socket and possibly damage it.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they call them Pogo pins (gold colored contact points on side of N7) - From what I have seen, Pin out is power, leftsounddata, rightsounddata, ground
The advantage in using Pogo pins is that there is no mechanical stress in using them to charge as there is to insert and remove microUSB

there is still some confusion about if using the PoGo pinouts allows use of microUSB at same time for something like flashmemory device....at least for myself !

new post of official dock unboxing on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4CjB37tdRE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital