Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cube1701
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Default Nillkin Stylish Colour Nexus 7 Case

At first, I just got a cheap case. It was rather bulky and quite ugly. I had a look around and This case looked the best (I bought it from an eBay seller, took a few weeks to arrive from abroad).

While the descriptions say leather, it clearly isn't anything like leather (which is one of the reasons I picked it). It's made from what I think is PVC and polyester. The back of the case is pretty solid and the Nexus 7 clips in pretty tightly - it required a bit of force to get out, but nothing that could damage the tablet and case.

The front is similar to Apple's smart cover, with the three segments that can be used as a stand. The inside is a lovely-feeling brushed microfibre. It has a magnet for the sleep/wake function (considering how thin the case is, it's quite impressive that you can't tell that a magnet is in there). There's no magnet or anything to keep the front cover down, so it can fall open, but I can't think of any situations where the case will be at an angle where it would fall open.

With the front open, the way it can bend makes it very comfortable for using in portrait mode. In landscape mode, it's great one way, but the opposite way the flap gets in the way. Unfortunately, this way is the "default" Android layout that many landscape-only games use (but I already had an app which fixes that).

As a stand, it doesn't feel very secure and feels like you're using the tablet on top of a sponge. That said, even in the taller stand requires a push much greater than normal tapping before it will fall over. It's far from the best stand case, but it's usable. After using it as a stand, the edge of the front cover will bend slightly upwards - a quick bend the other way solves it.

As you would expect, this also has all the required holes for the buttons, microUSB, headphones, speaker and two microphones. The gap for the buttons gives plenty of space so pressing them is easy.

I also think it looks very stylish. I think leather cases look rather old-fashioned now. This has a textured surface which gives it detail and makes it look like a professional product.
    If you want a case to protect against serious drops, this probably isn't the right case. If you like the idea of a thin, light case for protection when out and about then this is a very good choice.

Gallery: Nillkin Nexus 7 case - Imgur
    Thanked by:
    dralezero likes this.

Default Re: Nillkin Stylish Colour Nexus 7 Case

Nice, how well does it work as a stand? Could you poke around with a stylus without it collapsing?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Nice, how well does it work as a stand? Could you poke around with a stylus without it collapsing?
    It wobbles quite a bit, but you need an aggressive jab to make it fall over.

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

It looks like a classier version of the Poetic case I'm using, for just a few dollars more. Nice find!

ROM
    ThundeRom v1.6.2 @ 806mhz

How well does the cover fold flat behind it?

i've ordered mine via another site... waiting for it to arrive... will give my 2cents worth soon!

Finally received the case today and here's some pics and initial impression of it..

Hardshell section is very snug for the nexus 7, good fit and as can be seen the cutouts for the power button and volume buttons are accurate. The hole on the opposite side is catered for as well. The bottom fits nicely too.

Outer skin has a nice feel about it, a little grainy and textured. When you close the cover it puts the nexus 7 to sleep and activates the screen when you flip open the cover.

One gripe I have is the cover doesn't 'stick'. There's no magnet or elastic to hold the cover in place.

Otherwise I think this is a good solid case which is right for its price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nillkin Stylish Colour Nexus 7 Case-img_20130104_214735.jpg   Nillkin Stylish Colour Nexus 7 Case-img_20130104_214655.jpg   Nillkin Stylish Colour Nexus 7 Case-img_20130104_214607.jpg   Nillkin Stylish Colour Nexus 7 Case-img_20130104_214445.jpg   Nillkin Stylish Colour Nexus 7 Case-img_20130104_214534.jpg  

Where do I find it in ORANGE colour?! O_o WOW!

Oh, this case is so alike as mine Simplism Series Google Nexus 7 Flip Leather Cases - Magenta | DSstyles, but I brought one in magenta which I more prefer to.

Quote Originally Posted by eugino View Post
    Oh, this case is so alike as mine Simplism Series Google Nexus 7 Flip Leather Cases - Magenta | DSstyles, but I brought one in magenta which I more prefer to.
    That case is quite different, and has one of the worst design features IMO - it covers the bezel.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    That case is quite different, and has one of the worst design features IMO - it covers the bezel.
    Anyway, it doesn't affect much when I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by pmpmstrb View Post
    How well does the cover fold flat behind it?
    Just got my Nillkin a couple of days ago, I LOVE this case! So much better than the cheap one I bought that covered the bezel.
    The cover folds completely flat!