OTG Cable question (not on the cable)

Josh Lindemann

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading that the OTG cable will allow me to utilize (let's say) a 16GB memory stick to add more space to my tablet. I insert the OTG cable and a memory stick and away I go.

But after reading a lot;

1) Do I have to root my device in order for this to utilize the cable?

2) Do only certain programs acknowledge the cable\memory? Does it have to be a program that has that code written into it?

I'm just looking at the extra storage; ie: reading materials, movies, music. But if I start storing pictures or documents do I run into problems?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading that the OTG cable will allow me to utilize (let's say) a 16GB memory stick to add more space to my tablet. I insert the OTG cable and a memory stick and away I go.

But after reading a lot;

1) Do I have to root my device in order for this to utilize the cable?

2) Do only certain programs acknowledge the cable\memory? Does it have to be a program that has that code written into it?

I'm just looking at the extra storage; ie: reading materials, movies, music. But if I start storing pictures or documents do I run into problems?

AFAIK, if you're looking to only read from the USB drive, you only need the OTG cable, the flash drive, and a Nexus Media Importer app. If you need to read/write, you'll need to root.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Do only certain programs acknowledge the cable\memory? Does it have to be a program that has that code written into it?

Unrooted = you use Nexus Media Importer app to do read-only access to certain permitted file types, generally media, that can be routed (piped) to another application from within NMI.
Say you want to play a movie file of .AVI format - click and play -> tell NMI to play that with MXplayer and off it goes...
Many file extensions are NOT included in NMI's allowable list but most media types are. Any other app on the Nexus 7 will NOT see the attached storage !

Rooted = you mount the memory with Stickmount and use it pretty much as the normal with a few exceptions, like certain apps will not run from stickmounted storage.
All file types, all apps, few restrictions and free.

follow ?

Sim S

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I was using Nexus Media Importer, and it does exactly what is described in it's write up. I wanted to be able to save to the external memory device so I decided to root my N7 and install stick mount.

I can now download and save files to the USB device, and it is much easier to copy files to the internal storage as you only need to use a file manager to move things around.

Another advantage of gaining root access is that you can install an ad blocker, which means no more annoying ads when you install some of the free apps.