Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By NealJ777
  • 1 Post By Villordsutch
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I use Auto-Sleep cases?

Just a wonder, but is it safe to use the Auto-Sleep (non-official) cases? It's just something in my head that says magnets and electronics aren't really friends.

Or am I too much of a Dad worrying about nothing?

Default Re: Should I use Auto-Sleep cases?

Yes, it is safe to use a case with the "Wake/Sleep" function. The magnet isn't strong enough to "fry" anything, otherwise they wouldn't have added a feature such as this.

The device is built to use them, of course its safe. Magnets being bad around computers pretty well ended when floppy disks disappeared. With floppy disks, a magnet could corrupt the data, but with modern flash storage, a magnet strong enough to corrupt the data would also be strong enough to pull the iron from your blood. Everyday magnets (especially the relatively weak ones used in smart cases) have no risk of hurting your device.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by 2:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Guess I'm having a Dad moment

In my day Magnets and Electronial Household goods didn't go...unless it was a fridge magnet

Well, it was that way back in my day too.

Now that there's Solid State, etc... there's no need to worry.

Just don't use one of those magnets they use at the junk yard for moving the cars around.
    liljew and Lisa Ammann like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    Just don't use one of those magnets they use at the junk yard for moving the cars around.

Whatttt!? You should have stated that in your first post!

I kid
    Lisa Ammann likes this.

Have you ever played with the magnet out of a computer hard drive? They're veeery strong - I sometimes have to pry them free from the piece of metal that goes with them. I once had a thumb drive become corrupt and refuse to let me delete files from it. I figured I'd try to corrupt the data with one of those hard drive magnets, so I stuck it on, and left it overnight. No effect.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

But wouldn't ANY magnet affect the accuracy of compass/directional or navigational apps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Have you ever played with the magnet out of a computer hard drive? They're veeery strong - I sometimes have to pry them free from the piece of metal that goes with them. I once had a thumb drive become corrupt and refuse to let me delete files from it. I figured I'd try to corrupt the data with one of those hard drive magnets, so I stuck it on, and left it overnight. No effect.
    So me freaking when the girls put the PC speakers to close to the base unit is a bit over board now then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarli View Post
    But wouldn't ANY magnet affect the accuracy of compass/directional or navigational apps?

I've no idea what is inside the Nexus 7 to aid navigation and a compass to even answer this correctly

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarli View Post

No. The tablet uses GPS for that, not a magnetic compass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
    So me freaking when the girls put the PC speakers to close to the base unit is a bit over board now then?
    I've seen speakers or the computer tower mess with the old CRT (tube) monitors, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks all

WTF Not. I don't understand the dad stuff please enlighten me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
    Thanks all

Maybe the quality and the built of the case is something you would need to worry more about than the magnet for a non-official, cheapy case.
    If X were here, he would have tried to talk things out first. Unfortunately for you, X isn't here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Maybe the quality and the built of the case is something you would need to worry more about than the magnet for a non-official, cheapy case.
    I think so because if it's over a certain thickness it won't work with Wireless charging. I have the LG case for my G2 and love it. I can put it on any QI Compliant charger and don't have to remove the case. It's not a robust case but I have dropped my phone about three times on ceramic and it has no damage. Two out of three times it did slip out of the case, but thats ok for me. I don't want the phone any harder to get out of the case anyway. I have the Verizon model. I'm not even sure it the other ones have wireless charging.