Should I use Auto-Sleep cases?

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just a wonder, but is it safe to use the Auto-Sleep (non-official) cases? It's just something in my head that says magnets and electronics aren't really friends.

Or am I too much of a Dad worrying about nothing?

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is safe to use a case with the "Wake/Sleep" function. The magnet isn't strong enough to "fry" anything, otherwise they wouldn't have added a feature such as this.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The device is built to use them, of course its safe. Magnets being bad around computers pretty well ended when floppy disks disappeared. With floppy disks, a magnet could corrupt the data, but with modern flash storage, a magnet strong enough to corrupt the data would also be strong enough to pull the iron from your blood. Everyday magnets (especially the relatively weak ones used in smart cases) have no risk of hurting your device.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, it was that way back in my day too. :)

Now that there's Solid State, etc... there's no need to worry. :)

Just don't use one of those magnets they use at the junk yard for moving the cars around. :)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever played with the magnet out of a computer hard drive? They're veeery strong - I sometimes have to pry them free from the piece of metal that goes with them. I once had a thumb drive become corrupt and refuse to let me delete files from it. I figured I'd try to corrupt the data with one of those hard drive magnets, so I stuck it on, and left it overnight. No effect.

Tsarli

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
But wouldn't ANY magnet affect the accuracy of compass/directional or navigational apps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Villordsutch

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever played with the magnet out of a computer hard drive? They're veeery strong - I sometimes have to pry them free from the piece of metal that goes with them. I once had a thumb drive become corrupt and refuse to let me delete files from it. I figured I'd try to corrupt the data with one of those hard drive magnets, so I stuck it on, and left it overnight. No effect.

So me freaking when the girls put the PC speakers to close to the base unit is a bit over board now then?

- - - Updated - - -

But wouldn't ANY magnet affect the accuracy of compass/directional or navigational apps?

I've no idea what is inside the Nexus 7 to aid navigation and a compass to even answer this correctly :D

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

No. The tablet uses GPS for that, not a magnetic compass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Zero Hunter

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the quality and the built of the case is something you would need to worry more about than the magnet for a non-official, cheapy case. ;)

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the quality and the built of the case is something you would need to worry more about than the magnet for a non-official, cheapy case. ;)

I think so because if it's over a certain thickness it won't work with Wireless charging. I have the LG case for my G2 and love it. I can put it on any QI Compliant charger and don't have to remove the case. It's not a robust case but I have dropped my phone about three times on ceramic and it has no damage. Two out of three times it did slip out of the case, but thats ok for me. I don't want the phone any harder to get out of the case anyway. I have the Verizon model. I'm not even sure it the other ones have wireless charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech