Quality of keyboard cases?

ea7770

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm wanting to get a blue tooth keyboard case, and I've read a bunch of reviews on here, and on Amazon and it seems that a lot of people have issues with the quality of the keyboards (ie keys popping off etc). I don't mind spending a little bit more for a quality product, but so many of these cases look to be the exact same thing with just a different brand name that it makes it hard to pick what to buy. So, I thought I'd ask here for specific brands. Like I said, I'd rather pay more upfront that deal with getting a crappy one that has to be replaced a month down the road. I'm open to the idea of either the portfolio style cases or the "aluminum" type snap in cases. I just want something that will fit well, protect the tablet, and has a decent quality keyboard. Like I said, price is not so much an issue.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you want quality, avoid keyboard cases. They're all essentially the same. Just posted this in another thread, but I'd instead recommend getting a slim folding bluetooth keyboard:
61lOkSxPRhL.jpg

(full review here)
I got mine on amazon, but they have a generic version on ebay for ~$30 last time I checked. Believe it or not, that keyboard was $28 when I first saw it, but it jumped to $32 in my cart because I waited a day. And now it's $38 :p. Still worth it, but if you can get it cheaper you might as well.

With keyboard cases, the method of securing is either: a couple prongs on the top/bottom (unless you DIY like I did with mine, it's unsecure); a couple elastic tabs; or, a faux leather bezel (which I find aesthetically unappealing). If you get a separate keyboard altogether, you can use your favorite case and not have to worry about the keyboard when you don't want it--e.g. you don't have to switch out cases when you're reading on your bed.

With keyboard cases, they keys are going to be ultra-mini. Mine--the generic one with prongs--had a keyboard that was 8" by 3"--keys were miniscule and cramped. Fine for me because I already type fast and don't have large hands, but it still reduced my WPM to like ~30 as opposed to ~100 on a decent sized keyboard.

Though, I have that "crappy" $10 one, and I used it for a good few months before switching out. It still works great, it's just that my shoddy OTG cable crapped out and I decided to go bluetooth. I took it everywhere, and I never had issues with the keys popping out or anything like that; I'm sure quality control isn't too great, but chances are you won't have issues. Browse here until you see the modified case pic with instructions--in case you plan on getting the one I did, you really should modify it.

Indigoquilter

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I've just bought that cheapie keyboard case, and the top prong is now adjustable. Admittedly I also put it in a gel case when it's in the keyboard case, for added security, but even without it, I think it would clamp down and hang on for dear life. A friend of mine also bought this case the other week, and reports the same thing. Hers is the basic black model, mine is blue, but I think they're all the same. It's a nice blue, incidentally. I don't know how robust that adjustable prong is, that said, and I can't see it lasting forever.

If you do need to find some method to keep the tablet in the case, a lot of people have been using self-adhesive velcro, sometimes attached to a gel skin instead of the original tablet. If I ever start to worry that mine won't be secure enough, I'll spend a pound on some velcro.

Typing is harder than I expected, however, and I say this as a woman of 4'11" with accordingly small hands. It's partly the key spacing and partly the occasional oddities in the layout, such as the position of the apostrophe key. But then I gather that the bluetooth keyboards tend to have similar problems. I bought it for occasional use, and ironically I think I'll have to practice before that's really feasible. At least, if I want to use it for taking notes somewhere without making a mistake in every other word. But I'm fairly close to that stage already, so I don't think it'll be too hard. It just means that I won't be able to ask someone else to take notes for me.

The other thing which is slightly annoying is that the USB adaptor sticks out at the side. I did at least work out where to store it safely when the case is folded up: unplug it from the tablet and put it so that it's resting just above the top of the tablet. You'll have the thinner cable trailing over the screen, but I can't see that this would cause any problems. It does at least mean that the cable is safely tucked away and not likely to fall out or get damaged in transit.

flickstar

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Would be great to see a photo of your setup if possible - we're researching keyboard options for my mum (also a lady of dainty stature and hands) and trying to figure out what would work best for her. Thanks!

Indigoquilter

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Very late reply: I never ended up using it. The keyboard is just a nightmare, and I don't type on it that much when I'm out of the home. When I'm at home, mostly I use it without a keyboard, and when I do want to do some serious typing, I plug in an ordinary, cabled keyboard (albeit a laptop-sized one, as I prefer them due to the size of my hands).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88