Headphones - Why don't any I try/buy seem to work!

paulsheff

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
1st post, so hopefully I won't get too much critique! I'm new to Android too.

I bought a Nexus 7 the other day, love it and I really do like the functionality that Android seems to offer, however, trying to get headphones to work with an inline remote seems to just be impossible!

I have iPhone headphones, and as I do not use the tablet for calls, the microphone isn't an issue (if it works or not, I have no idea). I do want an inline remote to work for play pause as a minimum, and volume controls would be ideal. It doesn't work with my Apple ones, but I tried some HTC ones also and neither did they. Maybe i'm missing something like an app? I tries a couple and go nowhere.

Can anyone help, do I have to buy branded earphones specifically for this tablet/android?

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a standard 3.5mm head/earphone socket, so any set would be fine. I've used both with mine. I think the issue is you're wanting the socket to be able to receive commands and pass them to the tablet for processing. I don't know, but maybe it can't. Do the 'phones you've tried actually play sounds, it's just the extra functionality which fails?

Lisa C 525

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem and I've tried both ear buds and a wireless headphone set, both of which worked on my son"s iPad. The strange thing is, the buds worked with a TV show I was watching from xfinity (I didn't try the wireless headphones) so i really dont know where the problem lies. Its quite frustrating.

ea7770

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I got my Dad a set of bluetooth wireless headphones from Creative for his Nexus 7 and they work great. They have volume and track controls built in and he's had no problems so far.

Gore Syrup

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I got SkullCandy SkullCrushers headphones from my girl for our anniversary last year, and they rock on my Note 1 and Nexus 7. They don't have inline remote, just battery powered bass boost. BOOM!

redback

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a set of SkullCandy Ink'd earphones with the most incredible bass I have ever heard from earphones. For $14. My other earphones, costing four times as much, can't get anywhere near the SkullCandy. Thos guys surely know about bass sounds.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Any 3.5mm headset should work as a headset, but as said, in-line remotes will not work. They require a 3.5mm jack that supports input (i.e. microphone), which the Nexus 7 does not have.

Orogeny

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 10 and have found that some headphones work and others don't. It seems to be a function of the length of the jack...the ones that work are slightly (maybe 1/32") longer than the ones that don't. Haven't run into this issue on any other device.

Last edited:

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My skullcandy headphones don't adjust the volume on my S4. Really annoying. How can I be sure the next headphones I get are compatible? I see no way to know. Seems a pretty unnecessary problem to encounter in the first place.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My skullcandy headphones don't adjust the volume on my S4. Really annoying. How can I be sure the next headphones I get are compatible? I see no way to know. Seems a pretty unnecessary problem to encounter in the first place.

You could read & understand why many don't work.

Any 3.5mm headset should work as a headset, but as said, in-line remotes will not work. They require a 3.5mm jack that supports input (i.e. microphone), which the Nexus 7 does not have.

So if you are wanting remote control, it has to be something that works via bluetooth or something, not the typical in-line controls that use the input built into the headphone jack that the N7 doesn't have.

N33k5

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
YAYtech is right you will need a Bluetooth set if you want remote functions as the jack or software on the N7 doesn't support inline controls but it does support the mics on those headsets. You can find some Bluetooth adapters that will function like a remote if you rather not buy a dedicated set over ears or in ears. Not trying to be harsh but just because an iDevice does something or works with something doesn't mean an Android anything will. Some people may be a bit offended if you use similar comparisons hardware wise. If you are looking for apps people don't get as bothered by it. :) Hope we helped you in some way and best of luck with your new friend.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You could read & understand why many don't work.

So if you are wanting remote control, it has to be something that works via bluetooth or something, not the typical in-line controls that use the input built into the headphone jack that the N7 doesn't have.

YAYtech is right you will need a Bluetooth set if you want remote functions as the jack or software on the N7 doesn't support inline controls but it does support the mics on those headsets. You can find some Bluetooth adapters that will function like a remote if you rather not buy a dedicated set over ears or in ears. Not trying to be harsh but just because an iDevice does something or works with something doesn't mean an Android anything will. Some people may be a bit offended if you use similar comparisons hardware wise. If you are looking for apps people don't get as bothered by it. :) Hope we helped you in some way and best of luck with your new friend.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

But what is the purpose of the company using hardware which doesn't support the inline remote? If its better, why not use it? It reminds me of Apple unnecessarily withholding features. That's why I got rid of my iphone in the first place.

Yaytech, my iphone and the S4 both have 3.5mm jacks so how am I supposed to know it wouldn't work the way it did on my iphone? Without the condescension maybe this time or please don't bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC