Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jokeyhaha
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My daughter had her Nexus for all of 25 days (aka I need a good, rugged case)

and *I* dropped and cracked the screen. I feel like dog **** after how much I harped on her to take care of it. It shattered the bottom right and had a crack extending diagonally up to about mid point on the left, rendering the bottom half of the screen unresponsive.

No one local could fix it so I sent it back to Asus. My friend's husband (who lives across the country) said he could fix it for $175 plus shipping. I hope ASUS is less. I did have it in a cheapish cover and it offered no protection whatsoever. Can anyone recommend a GOOD case?
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Default Re: My daughter had her Nexus for all of 25 days (aka I need a good, rugged case)

lol. The pitfalls of parenting, right?

Default Re: My daughter had her Nexus for all of 25 days (aka I need a good, rugged case)

There's a whole thread on cases here.

I saw a lot of kids receive tablets over this past Christmas. I remember showing off my new nexus to a guy when his 4 year old daughter comes running up with her new kindle HD, slinging it around like a speak n spell. I thought to myself, this can't end well. But isn't it great that these things are cheap enough to where we give them to 4 year old's.

I think if I were you, I would look into a good insurance plan for it to go along with the case....
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    There's a whole thread on cases here.

I saw a lot of kids receive tablets over this past Christmas. I remember showing off my new nexus to a guy when his 4 year old daughter comes running up with her new kindle HD, slinging it around like a speak n spell. I thought to myself, this can't end well. But isn't it great that these things are cheap enough to where we give them to 4 year old's.

I think if I were you, I would look into a good insurance plan for it to go along with the case....
    We don't have disposable income in our family so no, it's not cheap enough just to fling around. That's what makes it so much harder for my daughter. She knew what a big sacrifice it was for her to get it and she was treating it like gold. Until old butterfingers mom comes along, that is. Dad having cancer makes us appreciate when we're able to splurge on something.
    TomsAndroid likes this.

I personally love my gumdrop nexus 7 case. It was $50, but it offers pretty nice protection with a hard front plate with built in screen guard and a thick silicon back that fits snuggly together.

I heard otterbox made one too, and they always make good rugged cases, but I haven't personally touched one. I think they're like $75?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

My sister got one for their family (2 year old, 5 year old, and 7 year old) and they have a rubber bumper case. I don't know how much it has been dropped, but I don't expect it to last long. I really wish they had gorilla glass on this tablet.

I have the Poetic HardBack Protective Case and I think it's more scratch and bump protection than drop protections. I can have it in a backpack with books, pens, etc., and not worry about the screen. But I wouldn't toss the bag across the room and expect the case to guarantee protection. I also wouldn't expect the case to protect much if I dropped it while using the tablet and the cover was open. Maybe I'm a pessimist.

Here, nothing should break this in this .
    Read the testimonials

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Trident Case has a protective solution that should protect from typical drops and bumps...it runs about $45 but they usually have monthly discounts (right now 25% off for Valentines Day)