What are you doing with your docking station? (pics)

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
When I first started seeing the Nexus 7 dock on the Internet last August, I thought it was kind of a waste. Then once android 4.2 came out with the dream feature, I started to come around. I don't use a case much, and I decided it would be good to have a place for my tablet to live.

So here it is :
uploadfromtaptalk1359768324670.jpg
I have the display set for dream mode when docked. Under dream mode, I chose pictures. This took me to a screen that allowed me to select from a number of gallery folders. Basically, when I drop the Nexus 7 into the dock, it turns into a digital picture frame.

As you can see from the photo, I have it next to an iHome iPod playing alarm clock. One of the things I wanted to do is to be able to play Pandora and other sound apps over the better speakers on the alarm clock. Here it is with Google Music:
uploadfromtaptalk1359768947544.jpg
I especially like not having to plug it in to charge it. I hope that's saves a lot of wear and tear on the USB port.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I know some people have been asking if OTG works while the Nexus 7 is docked. The answer is yes. Here it is with a flash drive plugged in and Nexus Media Importer running.
uploadfromtaptalk1359769474143.jpg
It was touch and go at first. I plugged the OTG cable into the tablet while it was docked and awake. It crashed while trying to open NMI. I tried it a second time, except this time I opened NMI before putting the Nexus 7 in the dock. It asked me if I wanted to use the dock to play media files. After I said OK, NMI opened successfully. It now opens automatically when docked and I plug in the OTG cable. Here is a movie streaming from a flash drive:

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ahem...
Here is a photo of a movie streaming from a flash drive to the tablet using an OTG cable:
uploadfromtaptalk1359770340229.jpg

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Question most have with using the OTG setup while the tablet is docked and charging.......will it keep charging at normal rates while you are using any OTG process. IE.....can you watch a movie and see that the unit is not loosing battery level and is gaining level of charge to its max capacity?

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
That's a good question. I'll give it a try once my battery has run down later today.

-BA-

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Is yours a stock N7 or has it been rooted? I would love to use the dock and OTG combo but don't want to root. Thanks :)

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
OK, so here are some battery performance tests while the Nexus 7 was docked:

Streaming a movie, went from 56% to 45% in 53 minutes, -12%/hr
This is really horrible. I don't think it could be worse if it wasn't docked, although I didn't do that kind of test.

Sleep mode, went from 45% to 68% in 51 minutes, 27%/hr
Pretty good, wouldn't expect plugging in to the stock power supply would be much better.

Dream mode, with photo gallery playing, 68% to 82% in 91 minutes, 9%/hr
Not awful, considering the screen is constantly on.

NOTE: all the usual caveats: not very scientific, non-linearity, YMMV, blah blah blah.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
OK, so here are some battery performance tests while the Nexus 7 was docked:
Streaming a movie, went from 56% to 45% in 53 minutes, -12%/hr

Standard wall current microUSB charging setup, Asus supplied:
Streaming a movie, went from 55% to 73% in 53 minutes

clearly having docking at same time as USB device affects the charging rate.....

naroom

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
So, you *CAN* charge via POGO connection (e.g. dock) and use an OTG device at the same time.

To it happen, you need:
- A POGO connector
- An OTG Y-cable with power (This is important! A regular OTG cable will not work. It has to be a Y-cable.)
- Two USB power sources (e.g. two power adapters).

Plug all of that in. The OTG Y-cable will power your USB device. The POGO pins will power your Nexus. Your battery charge will gradually increase as you use it.

Tested with a Nexus 10 at full brightness.

scythefwd

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure this is 100% a direct comparison, but I think it is useful.

Plugged in my N10 via pogo cable (ok, I want a dock now.. but man.. $$), shows charging. Plugged in the usb cable from my monitor.. that has a usb mouse and KB plugged in.. still working and claims its charging.

Next I'm gonna try to use the media importer and have a usb stick plugged in. Pogo charger on, usb hub (monitor) with KB, Mouse and usb stick in it. if it works.. I'll update. Running Lollipop 5.0.2, no root.

Well, its 4 bux for the app.. and I already have paid for stickmount.. so I'm not gonna try it after all. Maybe its time to root and put my stickmount back on. I just hate unrooting to update.. grrrrr

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance