1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What are you doing with your docking station? (pics)

When I first started seeing the Nexus 7 dock on the Internet last August, I thought it was kind of a waste. Then once android 4.2 came out with the dream feature, I started to come around. I don't use a case much, and I decided it would be good to have a place for my tablet to live.

So here it is :
    What are you doing with your docking station?  (pics)-uploadfromtaptalk1359768324670.jpg
    I have the display set for dream mode when docked. Under dream mode, I chose pictures. This took me to a screen that allowed me to select from a number of gallery folders. Basically, when I drop the Nexus 7 into the dock, it turns into a digital picture frame.

As you can see from the photo, I have it next to an iHome iPod playing alarm clock. One of the things I wanted to do is to be able to play Pandora and other sound apps over the better speakers on the alarm clock. Here it is with Google Music:
    What are you doing with your docking station?  (pics)-uploadfromtaptalk1359768947544.jpg
    I especially like not having to plug it in to charge it. I hope that's saves a lot of wear and tear on the USB port.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: What are you doing with your docking station? (pics)

I know some people have been asking if OTG works while the Nexus 7 is docked. The answer is yes. Here it is with a flash drive plugged in and Nexus Media Importer running.
    What are you doing with your docking station?  (pics)-uploadfromtaptalk1359769474143.jpg
    It was touch and go at first. I plugged the OTG cable into the tablet while it was docked and awake. It crashed while trying to open NMI. I tried it a second time, except this time I opened NMI before putting the Nexus 7 in the dock. It asked me if I wanted to use the dock to play media files. After I said OK, NMI opened successfully. It now opens automatically when docked and I plug in the OTG cable. Here is a movie streaming from a flash drive:

Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ahem...
    Here is a photo of a movie streaming from a flash drive to the tablet using an OTG cable:
    What are you doing with your docking station?  (pics)-uploadfromtaptalk1359770340229.jpg

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Question most have with using the OTG setup while the tablet is docked and charging.......will it keep charging at normal rates while you are using any OTG process. IE.....can you watch a movie and see that the unit is not loosing battery level and is gaining level of charge to its max capacity?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That's a good question. I'll give it a try once my battery has run down later today.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Is yours a stock N7 or has it been rooted? I would love to use the dock and OTG combo but don't want to root. Thanks
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by -BA- View Post
    Is yours a stock N7 or has it been rooted? I would love to use the dock and OTG combo but don't want to root. Thanks
    Stock. I don't have root access.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

OK, so here are some battery performance tests while the Nexus 7 was docked:

Streaming a movie, went from 56% to 45% in 53 minutes, -12%/hr
    This is really horrible. I don't think it could be worse if it wasn't docked, although I didn't do that kind of test.

Sleep mode, went from 45% to 68% in 51 minutes, 27%/hr
    Pretty good, wouldn't expect plugging in to the stock power supply would be much better.

Dream mode, with photo gallery playing, 68% to 82% in 91 minutes, 9%/hr
    Not awful, considering the screen is constantly on.

NOTE: all the usual caveats: not very scientific, non-linearity, YMMV, blah blah blah.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by AFM1204 View Post
    OK, so here are some battery performance tests while the Nexus 7 was docked:
    Streaming a movie, went from 56% to 45% in 53 minutes, -12%/hr
    Standard wall current microUSB charging setup, Asus supplied:
    Streaming a movie, went from 55% to 73% in 53 minutes

clearly having docking at same time as USB device affects the charging rate.....