Nexus 7 rugged case smack down!

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
With the recent release of the Otterbox Defender case for the Nexus 7 and it's outlandish price of over $70 out the door, I decided to buy it along with its more affordable competitors - the Poetic Revolution and the Seidio Active to see if the Otterbox is really worth the price.

I received the Otterbox in the mail first. The fit and finish are impeccable. The case is so well designed that it becomes one with the tablet. It is as if there is no case at all, simply a beefed up Nexus 7. The tablet, while heavier with the case, is much easier to hold and type on. The bezel and outer silicone provide an excellent grip. The only negative I see is the screen protector. A rainbow effect developed under the screen within 24 hours of use. Lint also creeped in. If I keep the case, I will be removing the screen protector.

I next received the Seidio Active for $48.55 out the door from Amazon. It's hybrid design is very similar to the Otterbox's, and it also includes an external cover / stand. The first thing I noticed with the Seidio is that within minutes it was covered in lint (the Otterbox silicone attracts no lint at all). I next noticed that the Seidio rubberized material caused it to slip as I tried to hold it with one hand. Within a few minutes I decided this was not the case for me, and I put it back in the box for return.

The Poetic Revolution arrived next, a total of only $32.35 from amazon. It has integrated kickstands rather than the external cover stand. I first noticed during installation that the plastic internal cover does not quite close fully with the Nexus 7 inside. As a result the outer silicon also would not sit flush. It looked terrible. I don't know if this one was defective, but this case was not working at all. I checked a few times to make sure I had not installed something backwards or upside down. The case really doesn't fit the device well. Like the Seidio, the Poetic case has a slick silicone which causes the device to slip when held with one hand. The Poetic was also back in the box for return within a few minutes.

My opinion is that Otterbox Defender truly is the best rugged case on the market for the Nexus 7, but it comes at a very high price. For many, it is difficult to justify paying $75 for a case for a $200 tablet.
While perhaps the best case, the Otterbox certainly is not the best value. For bargain shoppers, a basic tpu case can be bought for less than $5 on ebay.

Sorry no pictures. I'm too lazy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Cyclops13

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Trident Case has a rugged solution called the Aegis....it's made of shock absorbing TPE (silicone like material) and polycarbonate. Its about $45 and it's Made in the USA!

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Trident Case has a rugged solution called the Aegis....it's made of shock absorbing TPE (silicone like material) and polycarbonate. Its about $45 and it's Made in the USA!

Yes, I hadn't considered the Trident because of its odd styling, but I've just ordered it.

I ended up removing the screen protector on the Otterbox because of the rainbow effect, and found that the case squeaked and creaked too much without it. Then I read that the rainbow effect could be remedied with an anti-glare screen protector. So in re-installed the Otterbox screen protector and an anti-glare protector below it.

The problem is that with an anti-glare protector, the display isn't as sharp. This would be fine if I had the offsetting benefit of the glare and fingerprint resistance, but the Otterbox protector casts a glare and attracts fingerprints. So I've got a dull screen with reflections and fingerprints. All the drawbacks and none of the benefits.

So I'm still looking for the right case. We'll see if the Trident is a good alternative. I've tried Trident phone cases and found them to be very well made.

jensinger83

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the Trident Aegis and I love it! The only down side might be that the TPE is kind of sticky feeling but great for grip! It does collect lint but to the point that it makes me hate the case, I still love it!

photovwb.jpg

photo21au.jpg

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
How about the Gumdrop Drop Tech series for the Nexus 7?

Drop Tech Series Google Nexus 7 Case | Tablets | Gumdrop Cases

I've looked into these. A reviewer on YouTube said that it attracts a lot of lint which really drives me crazy. A similar case for a fraction of the price is the Amzer silicone jelly case at http://www.amazon.com/Amzer-AMZ9438...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2593479. I bought this but it fits a bit loose and it never looks clean with all the lint on it.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the Trident Aegis and I love it! The only down side might be that the TPE is kind of sticky feeling but great for grip! It does collect lint but to the point that it makes me hate the case, I still love it!

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/1310/photovwb.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/4596/photo21au.jpg

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. The size and hybrid fit looks like it may be comparable to the Seidio Active but with different styling and without the cover stand. I'll report back on how they differ when I receive the Aegis. I'm hoping that the Aegis will be less slippery than the Active.

I also came across this which looks promising: http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=77470. I owned the same case for the S3 and found it to be very well made. Hybrid plastic and silicone with integrated kickstand for only $15. I've ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive.

Having dealt more with the Otterbox, my initial positive impressions aside, I was quite disappointed with it. As I used it a bit more, I found that the silicone didn't fit the inside plastic parts that well. It was a bit loose. And the plastic pieces creaked way too much. It didn't feel solid like my ipad mini Otterbox which fits like a glove.

As I wait for the Aegis and the $15 Daydeal hybrid case, I've been using the Seidio Active. I'm warming up to it a bit. It's the only case other than the Otterbox to have a kickstand cover. The Seidio stand can be used as a portrait or landscape stand while the Otterbox can only be used in landscape. But I'm still bugged by the Seidio's lint and the slippery grip. It's the best case I've received so far though, and I'll be keeping the Seidio if the Aegis and $15 Daydeal case aren't better. Although slick, the Seidio has a very nice feel to it, and it hugs the Nexus 7 much better than the Otterbox.

Of the these four I would rank them as:

1) Seidio Active
2) Amzer Silicone Jelly
3) Otterbox Defender
4) Poetic Revolution

With the Seidio out way in front of the other three. I'll report back on the Trident Aegis and Daydeal case after I receive them and have some time to try them out.

rraymun

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I got the Seidio Active case with the stand. Nice case and the stand works great.
The only thing is the the burnt odor on the rubbery material. Do you notice this? And does it go away over time?

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the same case and that smell does go away after a bit. In fact both my DNA and N7 had it pretty strong, I had to move it off my nightstand one night it was overwhelming.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed a smell with the Seidio, but my sense of smell is not very acute.

I have received the Trident and generic kickstand case, both of which are impressive. The Trident Aegis is extremely well made. It is by far the most difficult to install, so if you're looking for a case for frequent case changes that may be an issue. The silicon used by Trident is very grippy but does not attract a lot of lint like the Seidio. The biggest downside to the Trident for me is the goofy asymmetrical styling. This looks like something my cat threw up. Not great for a business environment. Although, a ten year old boy would probably think it looks really cool.

The generic kickstand case (see link in post above for reference) also doesn't look great to me. They make this exact same case for cell phones, but this is just a super sized version. When you see models like the Defender, the Aegis, and the Active adapted to tablets, typically there are design changes other than just the cut outs. Not here. But still, it gets the job done. It fits well, and the stand is sturdy. The silicon doesn't stay in place along the bezel quite as well as some of the other cases, but for value shoppers, at $15, it is hard to beat.

For me, I'm sticking with the Seidio for the time being. Primarily because of the kickstand cover. I ended up using it quite a bit more than expected, and now don't think I can do without it. Although it is slippery and attracts lint, the material used by Seidio also feels very nice in the hands.

fyrfyter

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am using the Seidio Active Case on my Nexus 7 as well. Unfortunately, after a few drops, my OG Transformer, which had a Gumdrop case, fell off the bed at work, landing directly on a corner and shattering the screen, so I ended up buying a new tablet before I expected to. I wouldn't fault the Gumdrop case, since it had protected it before that, I just think it landed just right this time, and shattered the screen.

I was an Otterbox fan before the Seidio, but with the Otterbox Lifetime Warranty gone, and their prices quickly skyrocketing, I decided it was no longer worth the investment. I use a Seidio Active Combo on my Droid Bionic, and I love it. Seemed like the right path to take for the Nexus as well. Wish it came with a screen protector, but I opted for Tech Armor Screen Protectors. So with those and the case I am happy again.

I picked up the new Logitech keyboard as well. I think it will be a good fit for those times when I actually have to type something of substance on the Nexus 7. I don't expect this to be a frequent event, but it can't hurt. The price is good too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante