Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Poetic Slimline Case - a few of my notes from a few months' use

I bought a pre-order Nexus 7, so I've had it for a while. Right away, I ordered a sleeve for it, which I used for a few weeks. I then ordered the Poetic Slimline case when it was available. It was replaced once as they changed the design and shipped out updated versions to early buyers. I just wanted to throw a few notes up here for folks considering the case.

First, I still love the case. Keeping the device + case thin was critical for me. If a case were to add much bulk, it would just kill the experience of having a tablet for me. I also get use out of being able to prop up the tablet. I use some task list widgets, and it's nice to be able to glance at the tablet on my desktop without touching it, and the case props it up at a nice angle.

The one semi-disappointment for me is that the edging on the case split and frayed. You can see pics of this posted by other people on the Amazon product page, though their fraying is worse than mine. The reason theirs is worse than mine is that I fixed the problem quick & early. See, the trouble is that the edging on the lid isn't really made to flex, but it runs across the flex points in the cover. So as you fold the cover, it bends the edging, and it splits, as well as breaks loose from the lid.

The fix? Simply cut away a very short chunk of the edging where the lid flexes, then superglue the edging down. I also had one corner that needed glued. I did this before Christmas, and have not had any repeat problems with the edging. It does look a little less nice at the flex points, but it's barely noticeable.

Aside from that, looking at the Amazon user-submitted photos, it looks like the 3G model has differently located microphones, so keep that in mind if you have a 3G model & are considering the slimline case. I haven't looked to see if they have a different case available for it.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:
    liljew 

Default Re: Poetic Slimline Case - a few of my notes from a few months' use

There are also a lot of comments about the cover wearing badly after four months. I like the design but want something that will last a year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    stock

Mine is falling apart. Bought it in October, already showing west and tear and I rarely even use it. Wouldn't buy again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I wish had seen this thread because I have a new one.

I took mine off once I received my Treegloo case. Now I only use it for the gym. The poetic is not very durable but it's a good beater case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It may depend on how you use the case. The only issue I've had with mine is the edging, and since I fixed it I don't think it looks bad at all. If it looked bad, I'd replace it. I think it's one design flaw among many good design decisions they made. I'd still recommend the case, but with the caveat of being ready to fix the edging.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

I've had my case since last October or November. I have to admit, my case is kind of stored up from everyday use, but it still gets the job done. The 'leather' is coming off, but everything else is fine. It's still a great case. Protection is good, front and back. I have another case Poetic sent me because I told them my case was getting worn out after a few weeks of usage. So for now, I'm going to use this case until it completely tears up, then I'll use the other case.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Why worry about it wearing? - the warranty is 3 YEARS - get it replaced - simple.

I have been using mine for about 2 months a black one, and it is used about 4-5 hrs a day. Looks just as good as when I got it in late December. Maybe they changed the manufacturing process. My sister ordered one about 3 weeks ago (the pink one, it actually is a nice pink, better colour than shown on Amazon) and she has not seen any wear yet either. My big complaint is I paid $19.99 and it is now $12.95 -$14.95 for colour.

Literally got my Nexus 7 yesterday and after looking around for a good case (that I'll only really use when I travel, to be honest [I like the Nexus 4 naked and feel the same way about my tablet]) and settled on this one. My boss at work has a simillar cover for his iPad mini and I really like the idea of folding the case back behind it. I've read a few complains about the materials falling apart after a few months, but Ziffos is absolutely spot on - they have a 3 year manufacturer warranty. I hear their exchange process is fairly painless, too.

Maybe next time I'll go for a fancy DoDo case or Treegloo, but for $12 (on Amazon) and a 3 year warranty, you can't really go wrong.