Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jangofei
  • 1 Post By sp619180
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 USB

i bought the USB Cable for my Nexus 7 i was wondering how do i axxess and watch the movies on my usb?

Default Re: Nexus 7 USB

I'm assuming you have movies on a USB flash drive that you want to watch on your tablet.
    You will need a file explorer app (ES File Explorer seems pretty good to me, but there are others), StickMount app, and a rooted tablet.

As far as I understand, once you have all that together, plug the USB flash drive in and open your file explorer app. There should be an option to "mount" your external storage (the USB drive). From there, navigate to your movies and tap on them. Your video player app should open it from there. I have yet to do this but it seems fairly straightforward. Search the forums to find out more details
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

Also, you don't have to root and can use the Nexus Media Importer, but it only reads and you can't write or delete to the flash drive.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Also, you don't have to root and can use the Nexus Media Importer, but it only reads and you can't write or delete to the flash drive.
    I didn't realize there was a way to do this without root. I'm rooted anyway, but this is good to know. Thanks for the info!
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile

Or try this. More bang for the buck.
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

I can confirm this. I have two N7 tablets, one stock and one rooted. With the stock tablet I can read anything on my external USB or hard drive, but cannot copy, edit, move or delete any files on the external drives. With the rooted device those restrictions are gone.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted

Yeah but we can do that for free using total commander file manager and a free USB otg plug-in and it can also write stuff on the USB device that to with no root access needed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    drkknyt98 likes this.