Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock and Root the Nexus 7

New to the forum and figured this would be the best spot to ask for HELP!

Have a Nexus 7 32GB that was previously unlocked and rooted. After the OTA update 4.2.1 I lost ROOT but maintained an UNLOCK state. Today while I was trying to re-root the tablet using the instructions found in this thread, I learned that I am having a problem sending data from the computer (MAC) to the tablet. I keep receiving an error that says that it cannot access storage device and suggests I check the lock screen (which is always unlocked). I also received the same error when I was trying to put a file onto the tablet from the mac just the other day. I also verified numerous times that USB Debugging is checked in Developer Options. I can move files from the tablet to the mac but not from the mac to the tablet. I was hoping to not have to mess with my bootloader since it is already unlocked. Any suggestions on how to fix the connection via the tablet and mac would be great, as well as any direction for the best way to root.

TIA
    Intel1338 likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #252  
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by Proliferous View Post
    New to the forum and figured this would be the best spot to ask for HELP!

Have a Nexus 7 32GB that was previously unlocked and rooted. After the OTA update 4.2.1 I lost ROOT but maintained an UNLOCK state. Today while I was trying to re-root the tablet using the instructions found in this thread, I learned that I am having a problem sending data from the computer (MAC) to the tablet. I keep receiving an error that says that it cannot access storage device and suggests I check the lock screen (which is always unlocked). I also received the same error when I was trying to put a file onto the tablet from the mac just the other day. I also verified numerous times that USB Debugging is checked in Developer Options. I can move files from the tablet to the mac but not from the mac to the tablet. I was hoping to not have to mess with my bootloader since it is already unlocked. Any suggestions on how to fix the connection via the tablet and mac would be great, as well as any direction for the best way to root.

TIA
    If you've tried all the USB ports, I would go back to stock using 2defs thread to factory restore, then root using the directions here.
    Let me know if that works out, if not well try something else.

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *

I was able to get my USB fixed, so I went ahead and started the ROOT process. I'm at step 6: "Recovery will boot up on the tab, and you will now select "install," then navigate to where you placed the super su file on the sd card and select the file to install"

When I select the zip to install ... nothing happens. It just keeps opening up the files within the Super SU (META-INF and system) ... How to I initiate the install of that file?

THANKS

EDIT: I had unzipped the file before I put it on the SD Card .... Went back and put the .zip file in there, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help!
    zero neck likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #254  
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by Proliferous View Post
    I was able to get my USB fixed, so I went ahead and started the ROOT process. I'm at step 6: "Recovery will boot up on the tab, and you will now select "install," then navigate to where you placed the super su file on the sd card and select the file to install"

When I select the zip to install ... nothing happens. It just keeps opening up the files within the Super SU (META-INF and system) ... How to I initiate the install of that file?

THANKS

EDIT: I had unzipped the file before I put it on the SD Card .... Went back and put the .zip file in there, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help!
    awesome glad you got it working.

My sister used the "factory data reset" option in the menu and soft-bricked my rooted Optimus C (LG LW690). All I can access on the phone is Fast-boot (but when connected to my Mac, there's no response from the terminal that I can tell) and the "S/W Upgrade" menu which I've come to find is just about useless in Mac. Anyway, is there a way I can install a recovery (ROM) option via Fast-boot on Mac? I have the complete Android SDK installed and all other drivers, etc.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm sort of new to programming androids.

Thanks!

Default Re: [GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Intel1338 View Post
    My sister used the "factory data reset" option in the menu and soft-bricked my rooted Optimus C (LG LW690). All I can access on the phone is Fast-boot (but when connected to my Mac, there's no response from the terminal that I can tell) and the "S/W Upgrade" menu which I've come to find is just about useless in Mac. Anyway, is there a way I can install a recovery (ROM) option via Fast-boot on Mac? I have the complete Android SDK installed and all other drivers, etc.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm sort of new to programming androids.

Thanks!
    Use the instructions on this thread at the start to flash recovery then flash stock ROM then you're good to go. I also bricked my Nexus 7 just use TWRP recovery then stock ROM. Not sure about backup but if you had TWRP the backup feature is the most useful. Might as well format your drives while you're at it.

I use Mac no problems. Terminal won't show you if it is connected but fastboot command will give you adequate feedback.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

I looked and my phone isn't supported. I googled it and didn't see much either. I have a LG Optimus C (LW690).

ok im getting a response now. when i entered "oem install" it showed up on my phone. how do i know when the bootloader is done?

USER-macbook:~ USER$ cd desktop
    USER-macbook:desktop dredon$ cd r3superboot
    -bash: cd: r3superboot: No such file or directory
    USER-macbook:desktop USER$ cd r3-nexus7-superboot
    USER-macbook:r3-nexus7-superboot dredon$ ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

For every fastboot command once it is done you will see the usual command prompt ie there is no notification. So if there are no errors reported assume everything is okay.

So once you unlock bootloader restart in fastboot mode then load recovery then reboot then go into recovery.

The tricky part is in recovery you have to use adb push to push the ROM to the phone since you cannot boot into the regular OS yet(?).

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #260  
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by Intel1338 View Post

Thanks!
    Hang on. If youre optimus c has an unlocked bootloader, you can find recovery built for your phone and flash it in fastboot cmands. Do not flash recovery that is built for any other device.

Once in recovery, you can push a rom from CPU to the optimis with the command adb push

Thanked by:
    sr2012 
    sr2012 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zero neck View Post
    Hang on. If youre optimus c has an unlocked bootloader, you can find recovery built for your phone and flash it in fastboot cmands. Do not flash recovery that is built for any other device.

Once in recovery, you can push a rom from CPU to the optimis with the command adb push
    Ah I was jumping the gun a bit assuming he could follow Nexus 7 instructions.

But yes only use recovery for specific device. Thanks Chatter and helping us learn more.

zero neck likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #262  
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post
    Ah I was jumping the gun a bit assuming he could follow Nexus 7 instructions.

But yes only use recovery for specific device. Thanks Chatter and helping us learn more.

yeah pretty much all nexus devices operate the same, but recoveries and all that are different for each device.
    When it comes to other phones, there are often different methods for unlocking/rooting/flashing recovery, to varying degrees.

Best to look up the device and see what it needs specifically, so you dont end up with a brick.

Thanked by:
    sr2012 
    sr2012 likes this.

Zero Neck, thanks for setting this up! Got my N7 for Xmas and am now unlocked, rooted, and TWRP'ed! I read through the thread first and thought your directions were a bit odd (eg. "fastboot-mac")...once I unzipped the superboot folder, it appears it's simply a mini-sdk of sorts? If so, thanks for putting that together! It also raises another question - if we already have the Android SDK downloaded, we could have avoided that step, yes? I'm still learning how/when to use ADB, so I stuck to your instructions, but I'm thinking I could've done all this using my own SDK files and and tweaked the commands.
    zero neck likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #264  
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by Gkinsella2 View Post
    Zero Neck, thanks for setting this up! Got my N7 for Xmas and am now unlocked, rooted, and TWRP'ed! I read through the thread first and thought your directions were a bit odd (eg. "fastboot-mac")...once I unzipped the superboot folder, it appears it's simply a mini-sdk of sorts? If so, thanks for putting that together! It also raises another question - if we already have the Android SDK downloaded, we could have avoided that step, yes? I'm still learning how/when to use ADB, so I stuck to your instructions, but I'm thinking I could've done all this using my own SDK files and and tweaked the commands.
    yeah for sure. if you already have adb/sdk you don't really need any of the files in the superboot folder (that's a paul o'brien creation - very simple package, easy to use). If you already have adb, you just unlock, dl and flash recovery, and install superuser/super su/or any rom that has root.

so if you already have adb/sdk, you just stick those files in the adb/sdk folder that contains fastboot (exe). so, for instance, you have a folder in your home directory called "adb", and "adb" contains a folder called "sdk tools" that has your fastboot exe in it. You stick the files you need in there (the recovery image, basically) and you put the su file in the virtual sd card on the tablet after you've unlocked the bootloader (bc the bootloader will erase the virtual sd when its unlocked).
    so using that pretend set up, you would open up terminal on the mac and 'cd' to the folder that has fastboot, wherever it is.
    ie:
    cd home
    cd adb
    cd sdk tools

then you can do the commands as usual (usually, if you have a complete adb/sdk setup, "fastboot-mac.exe" is just "fastboot.exe").
    so you would just:
    ./fastboot flash recovery xxxxxx.img
    or what have you.

hope that helps. glad you got it done without any trouble.

Hi guys again i am here having a confusion.
    Last time i unlocked and rooted my nexus 7 wifi and lost gui, restored back to stock image. and DIDN'T lock the bootloader afterwards. Now i want to root it again. Guide is simple, but i just want rooting not *custom recovery* etc. Custom Recovery (as i have searched and read) won't allow google updates to install. Please guide me in this regard.

Follow all instructions including flash custom recovery. Then flash stock recovery to get stock recovery back without losing root. There might be an easier way but I'm not sure.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Shakir Aziz View Post
    Last time i unlocked and rooted my nexus 7 wifi and lost gui, restored back to stock image. and DIDN'T lock the bootloader afterwards. Now i want to root it again. Guide is simple, but i just want rooting not *custom recovery* etc. Custom Recovery (as i have searched and read) won't allow google updates to install. Please guide me in this regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post
    Follow all instructions including flash custom recovery. Then flash stock recovery to get stock recovery back without losing root. There might be an easier way but I'm not sure.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    You can boot the recovery without flashing it, just use the command:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

(assuming you rename the recovery you want to use to recovery.img)

After flashing the SuperSU zip you can reboot and it won't have touched your stock recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #268  
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Shakir Aziz View Post
    yup the easiest way, like 2def said, would be to load the supersu file on your tablet, and replace the fastboot flash recovery command with fastboot boot recovery command. once booted into the custom recovery, install the supersu file and when you reboot you will be rooted with stock.

Thanked by:

Thanks a lot for help. The command worked fine except the 'recovery' part.
    I connected and turned on in fast boot mood. Then used this command "fastboot-windows boot openrecovery-twrp-2.3.2.1-grouper.img" and the recovery was booted. I installed SU and then rebooted system. Just normal except now i have root access.
    Thanks a lot.
    Thanked by:
    sr2012 
    zero neck and sr2012 like this.

thanks a ton.... CWM has an option to tun off recovery flash when you select "reboot system now" from cwm... it seems to make it perm.
    zero neck likes this.

Hi,

New to Android here. I hooked up my Nexus 7 32gb to my Macbook Pro to unlock and root but I stuck at the part where I'm supposed to load the SuperSU off an SD card. The nexus 7 doesn't have an SD card so I was wondering what people do here. My nexus is just sitting in the TWRP screen.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Dan

I followed everything in the guide but now I'm having issues getting back to stock recovery. Or if I even need to. After flashing the custom recovery img file I rebooted my Nexus 7 and now it says I'm running Android 4.2.1 build number JOP40D so am I already at stock recovery or do I still need to do anything to make sure I get Android updates in the future?

- - - Updated - - -

I followed everything in the guide but now I'm having issues getting back to stock recovery. Or if I even need to. After flashing the custom recovery img file I rebooted my Nexus 7 and now it says I'm running Android 4.2.1 build number JOP40D so am I already at stock recovery or do I still need to do anything to make sure I get Android updates in the future?

Thank you so much!!!!! I was able to wipe my Nexus 7 after the screen randomly cracked and the touch was no longer functional.... I can now sell it for parts.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by dlpong View Post
    Hi,

New to Android here. I hooked up my Nexus 7 32gb to my Macbook Pro to unlock and root but I stuck at the part where I'm supposed to load the SuperSU off an SD card. The nexus 7 doesn't have an SD card so I was wondering what people do here. My nexus is just sitting in the TWRP screen.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Dan
    You have an sd partition aka internal storage partition. When you plug into your computer and browse around files that's the area you are looking at. Just copy the SuperSU file over to there, reboot to recovery and flash it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCamp91 View Post
    Are you rooted? I.e.. does Superuser or SuperSU show in your app drawer, and can you open and confirm they work? (or just download Root Checker and have that check for you). If you have the stock recovery you will get updates in the future so long as you don't alter anything in the system with your root access. Updates will break root and you'll need to re-root it just like you did here, or you can install OTA Rootkeeper before updating and have it backup your root access and restore it after the update.

If you flashed a custom recovery you can still get OTA updates, you'll just need to flash the stock recovery first. I believe instructions are in the guide.. but in short you'll just download the factory images from Google (check the Factory Restore Guide for a link), extract them and find the file "recovery.img", then fastboot flash it from the bootloader using:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

You sound unsure of whether you have stock or a custom recovery right now.. you can check by powering down, then hold volume down and power until you're at the bootloader screen. Use Volume down to scroll to recovery move, then hit power (you may need to be plugged into a computer for this to proceed). If you see an android with a red triangle above him you have stock recovery.. just hold power for a bit now until it reboots for you. If you see CWM or TWRP then you flashed the custom one
    Thanked by:
    zero neck likes this.

I get a this
    brian@brian-Inspiron-530:~$ cd Desktop
    brian@brian-Inspiron-530:~/Desktop$ cd r3-nexus7-superboot
    brian@brian-Inspiron-530:~/Desktop/r3-nexus7-superboot$ fastboot-linux oem unlock
    fastboot-linux: command not found
    any pointers
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast