[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

I am a bit confused. Ive been able to unlock it and restore back to factory using the other sticky. I have attempted the video walkthrough (wont go into clockwork but just reboots) and Ive tried this walkthrough on my mac (which also didnt work) I have tried it on all three different usb ports on this computer.

so from the bootloader what commands would i use to flash that file?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I am a bit confused. Ive been able to unlock it and restore back to factory using the other sticky. I have attempted the video walkthrough (wont go into clockwork but just reboots) and Ive tried this walkthrough on my mac (which also didnt work) I have tried it on all three different usb ports on this computer.

so from the bootloader what commands would i use to flash that file?

which file you mean?
on a mac, if you're already unlocked: reboot into bootloader mode, then cd to the r3superboot folder. (lets say its on your desktop - do this in terminal:
cd desktop (then press enter)
cd r3superboot (then press enter)

then do this in terminal:
chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh (press enter)
./install-superboot-mac.sh (press enter)

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

the nexus says booting image after i type those commands, but after that (it reboots) there is no change. Should that have installed something on the nexus?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

the nexus says booting image after i type those commands, but after that (it reboots) there is no change. Should that have installed something on the nexus?

look in your app drawer for superuser.

or try to download and use something that requires root, such as rom manager or titanium backup.

having root access doesnt really change anything except the permissions you can give to certain apps (basically).

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

no superuser, and apps that require root say there is no root :/

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

no superuser, and apps that require root say there is no root :/

np here's what ya do:

first, download this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/su-JB.zip
and place it in your tablet's download folder on the sd card via usb connection.

then, download this: http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.0-grouper.img
when that's done downloading, you'll have a recovery file in .img format: put that file still compressed as a .img in the r3superboot folder.

then, cd desktop > cd r3superboot

then, enter this command:

./fastboot-mac boot recovery nameoftherecoveryfile.img

and press enter.

that will temp boot recovery - so then use recovery on the device to install zip from sd card > choose zip from sd card > find that jb su .zip in your downloads folder or wherever you put it on the tablet, and select it to flash.

that will give you superuser/root access.

Last edited:

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ ./fastboot-mac reboot-bootloader
rebooting into bootloader... OKAY
Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ ./fastboot-mac devices
015xxxxxxxxxxc18 fastboot
Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ ./fastboot-mac boot recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.0-grouper.img
cannot load 'recovery'
Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ ./fastboot-mac reboot-bootloader
rebooting into bootloader... OKAY
Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ ./fastboot-mac devices
015xxxxxxxxxxc18 fastboot
Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ ./fastboot-mac boot recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.0-grouper.img
cannot load 'recovery'
Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$

1 - your mac didnt automatically decompress the file, right? it's still an .img file on your cpu, correct?
2- its placed right inside your r3superboot folder, right?
3 - no hidden extensions on the file? like, make sure the file isnt hiding the .img extension and thus getting repeated like: .img.img
4 - try it like this:

./fastboot-mac boot recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.0-grouper.img

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

leaving out the recovery just gives me the usage help menu. I also tried this on my windows pc and got the same cannot load recovery. I had switched to the mac thinking I might have messed up the driver installation. I didn't expect to have this much trouble :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

leaving out the recovery just gives me the usage help menu. I also tried this on my windows pc and got the same cannot load recovery. I had switched to the mac thinking I might have messed up the driver installation. I didn't expect to have this much trouble :)

yeah i dunno whats up. usb debugging is turned on on the tab right?

try this: rename the recovery file "recovery.img"

then do the command in terminal like this:

./fastboot-mac boot recovery recovery.img

another thing you can try is downloading the recovery file again to your cpu, maybe you got a bad dl?? that's possible i guess.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

you know you could also just go through the root portion again - maybe it just didnt stick, and if you try it again on the mac it might go thru ... i would try those couple of things and see if we can get one to work.

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

none of this seems to be working... i went back to factory and tried again on the mac and it didnt work again. I can do everything but root

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

none of this seems to be working... i went back to factory and tried again on the mac and it didnt work again. I can do everything but root

can you copy paste from terminal what happens when you enter the root commands ...
chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
./install-superboot-mac.sh

---
if we cant get this going i'll give ya instructions on how to do it the truly manual method - this is automated to cut out a few steps but this is usually pretty close to flawless anyhow.
i dont have time tonight bc i gotta write a thing for school on a deadline but i could probably find some time tomorrow if we can't get this way working tonight or in the morning.

thing is tho - you should be able to chmod that file over and install it. and barring that, you should be able to boot recovery anyhow temporarily to just install the su zip. there must be something slightly wrong somewhere. anyhow, we'll get it straightened out somehow.

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ ./install-superboot-mac.sh
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY

I didnt see anything happen when i did the chmod command, nothing appeared on the nexus. when I installed the superboot it said it was booting the image on the nexus. I appreciate your help and there isn't any rush with this.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
Mythos:r3-nexus7-superboot-1 mythos$ ./install-superboot-mac.sh
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY

I didnt see anything happen when i did the chmod command, nothing appeared on the nexus. when I installed the superboot it said it was booting the image on the nexus. I appreciate your help and there isn't any rush with this.

word so when you boot back up you dont have supersu in the app drawer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton