[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

twrp worked! im in recovery :)

christ of course it would.

haha sorry man we shoulda just tried it first. old habits ..

thank 2defmouze when ya get the chance.

so after you flash the su zip in recovery, when you reboot you'll have supersu in your app drawer. or su. i forget which.

now you have root. you can flash roms, etc. etc,

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

awesome, thanks a TON for helping me with this! :) I can now finally start to re-setup my tablet!
I think im gonna wait a bit before i start messing with ROMs. I wanted to be able to back up my tablet and use a usb drive

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

awesome, thanks a TON for helping me with this! :) I can now finally start to re-setup my tablet!
I think im gonna wait a bit before i start messing with ROMs. I wanted to be able to back up my tablet and use a usb drive

no doubt but let me just say, aokp is where its at.

imo of course.

and nova launcher is pretty dope if ya havent given that a shot yet.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

christ of course it would.

haha sorry man we shoulda just tried it first. old habits ..

thank 2defmouze when ya get the chance.

so after you flash the su zip in recovery, when you reboot you'll have supersu in your app drawer. or su. i forget which.

now you have root. you can flash roms, etc. etc,

Lmao knew it.. CWM is crap. That 2def is a smart cookie :p

xSpiral

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

I've been playing with Nova Launcher for a while and I do like it.

Thanks again for helping :)

RaptorZX3

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock and Root the Nexus 7

so if i follow your steps, i shouldn't have any problem?

i have Windows 7 64-bit home premium. looking to unlock and root my Nexus 7 hopefully fixing my video playback problem (can't play most videos...) along with being able to use apps requiring rooted rom.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

so if i follow your steps, i shouldn't have any problem?

i have Windows 7 64-bit home premium. looking to unlock and root my Nexus 7 hopefully fixing my video playback problem (can't play most videos...) along with being able to use apps requiring rooted rom.

Yeah the tricky part on windows is getting the drivers. But the links should work I believe.

And for recovery, go with twrp over cwm. Cwm is wonky.

tranbo94

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site

i really need help, i done everything. the last step is go to recovery mode and install the zip file to get root. i dont know why every time i go to recovery mode, my nexus 7 keep boot back to android system as normal. I cant go to clockwork recovery menu. i am on 4.2 right now, please help. thanks

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

i really need help, i done everything. the last step is go to recovery mode and install the zip file to get root. i dont know why every time i go to recovery mode, my nexus 7 keep boot back to android system as normal. I cant go to clockwork recovery menu. i am on 4.2 right now, please help. thanks

tranbo, download TWRP recovery, place inside the superboot folder where fastboot and adb are at, and flash in fastboot mode. link: Techerrata Downloads - Downloading openrecovery-twrp-2.3.2.1-toro.img

also, download this and place on your sd card: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/su-JB.zip
(it's for 4.1 but i think it will work on 4.2)

so, flash TWRP in fastboot, when it's good scroll down to recovery - access TWRP, install the su zip, and then reboot.

clockwork is wonky. i'm going to take it out of the instructions. gl let me know if you have any issues.

tranbo94

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site

tranbo, download TWRP recovery, place inside the superboot folder where fastboot and adb are at, and flash in fastboot mode. link: Techerrata Downloads - Downloading openrecovery-twrp-2.3.2.1-toro.img

also, download this and place on your sd card: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/su-JB.zip
(it's for 4.1 but i think it will work on 4.2)

so, flash TWRP in fastboot, when it's good scroll down to recovery - access TWRP, install the su zip, and then reboot.

clockwork is wonky. i'm going to take it out of the instructions. gl let me know if you have any issues.

since you reply late, so i can't wait anymore. I decided to get back to 4.1.2. and i rooted it with nexus root toolkit 1.5.5. right now, on this version, it can only root up to 4.1.2, not 4.2. I want to update to 4.2. I know i will lose root. I already install OTA root keeper and have it protected the root. If I update 4.2 through the ota update now, is it guaranteed that ota root keeper will restore the root for me successfully? I don't want to lose root and root again.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

since you reply late, so i can't wait anymore. I decided to get back to 4.1.2. and i rooted it with nexus root toolkit 1.5.5. right now, on this version, it can only root up to 4.1.2, not 4.2. I want to update to 4.2. I know i will lose root. I already install OTA root keeper and have it protected the root. If I update 4.2 through the ota update now, is it guaranteed that ota root keeper will restore the root for me successfully? I don't want to lose root and root again.

I don't know I haven't been stock since the day I got my tablet. Maybe someone who has updated to 4.2 can chime in?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't know I haven't been stock since the day I got my tablet. Maybe someone who has updated to 4.2 can chime in?

OTA Rootkeeper should work just fine. Worst case scenario it literally takes just 2 minutes to root it using the "old fashioned" method :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

You mean the dope fresh method, I believe

You'll want to update the OP to link to TWRP 2.3.2.1 for Grouper Btw.. Earlier ones won't work right with 4.2 :)

EDIT: also the new SuperSU v.98.. Grab it from my Nexus 4 unlock thread. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

You'll want to update the OP to link to TWRP 2.3.2.1 for Grouper Btw.. Earlier ones won't work right with 4.2 :)

EDIT: also the new SuperSU v.98.. Grab it from my Nexus 4 unlock thread. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

will do

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Aha my bad, cpu is dead and I don't have my charger. I'll have to update tomorrow between turkey and football. I'll try to make it happen.

You can do it. I has faith ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

onyx550

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

i got a nexus 7 32gb wifi 4G unlocked i unlocked the boot loader i got jop40c android 4.2 and i know how to root with directions but it is not working i want to leave it stock on 4.2 but i need root can some one help me find a way to root jop40c 4.2 thanks hope some one can help me thanks