Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Default Re: [VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

This would work faster if someone could add me on skype lol my screen name is Famous_king would really appreciate the help!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #227  

Quote Originally Posted by Famous_king87 View Post
    This would work faster if someone could add me on skype lol my screen name is Famous_king would really appreciate the help!
    Nobody else can see a conversation outside this thread, and I guarantee there are others that have the same problem as you that would benefit from the solution you find.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    AppleBonker likes this.

I ran into problems when I try and use the clockwork recovery mod. When I type.
    Code:
    fastboot boot clockwork.img
    . My computer gives me the found new hardware message. Then when I try
    Code:
    adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/.
    I get an error device not found.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Even if no one knows how to fix this, I would really appreciate it if you could answer me this.

Is there any problems with using the tablet as normal stopping at this point? I have unlocked the bootloader and really want to use and get used to the Nexus 7, so can I try these things later down the line without hurting my tablet?

I use a Windows XP SP3 32-bit computer.
    My tablet is the Nexus 7 32Gigabyte Wi-fi.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #229  

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarbob19 View Post
    I ran into problems when I try and use the clockwork recovery mod. When I type.
    Code:
    fastboot boot clockwork.img
    . My computer gives me the found new hardware message. Then when I try
    Code:
    adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/.
    I get an error device not found.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Even if no one knows how to fix this, I would really appreciate it if you could answer me this.

Is there any problems with using the tablet as normal stopping at this point? I have unlocked the bootloader and really want to use and get used to the Nexus 7, so can I try these things later down the line without hurting my tablet?

I use a Windows XP SP3 32-bit computer.
    My tablet is the Nexus 7 32Gigabyte Wi-fi.
    If you look at Troubleshooting at the beginning of the thread, this is covered. Boot your tablet all the way while connected to your computer via USB, manually drag and drop the zip using Windows, then boot back into the boot loader and continue from there.

Sent from my Nexus 7

If you look at Troubleshooting at the beginning of the thread, this is covered. Boot your tablet all the way while connected to your computer via USB, manually drag and drop the zip using Windows, then boot back into the boot loader and continue from there.
    I actually did try this once already. I had my tablet connected and copied the file supersu.zip into the internal storage next to the other folders. I will remove it and try again.

Do you know what I should do about it detecting new hardware again, should I reinstall that naked driver?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #231  

I actually did try this once already. I had my tablet connected and copied the file supersu.zip into the internal storage next to the other folders. I will remove it and try again.

Do you know what I should do about it detecting new hardware again, should I reinstall that naked driver?
    You said you unlocked the bootloader, so your computer must have seen your tablet. Have you flashed recovery yet? If so, did you try flashing the SuperSU.zip yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    You said you unlocked the bootloader, so your computer must have seen your tablet. Have you flashed recovery yet? If so, did you try flashing the SuperSU.zip yet?
    I appreciate you helping me, thanks. These are the steps I successfully completed.

1. Downloaded the two files, the naked driver and Nexus 7. Unzipped to desktop, then put both folders into the C drive.

2. Entered into the bootloader, installed the naked driver, restarted computer to finish installation, re-entered the bootloader.

3. Opened up windows command prompt, entered into the Nexus 7 folder and typed in [ Fastboot oem unlock]. Unlocked bootloader.

4. Flashed CRM by typing [ fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img ], then rebooted [ fastboot reboot-bootloader ].

5. I then entered the CMR typing [ fastboot boot clockwork.img ]. The first time I did this however I had about 5 error messages on the bottom of my tablet screen.

6. I read to restart the tablet and try again. So I clicked on the option to boot up, and then on the many No's page I clicked the back button. This had my tablet start as usual, and when it reached the screen asking me to choose a language I turned it off.

7. Turning it back on I re entered into CR [ fastboot boot clockwork.img ], it went in without a problem, except this time my computer tells me it found new hardware.

8. I tried to push the sd card with [ adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ ], I get an error : device not found.

9. I repeated booting normally like in step 6, then copy pasted the supersu.zip file into the internal storage of my tablet.

10. I repeated [ adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ ] in CR, and again same error.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #233  

I appreciate you helping me, thanks. These are the steps I successfully completed.

1. Downloaded the two files, the naked driver and Nexus 7. Unzipped to desktop, then put both folders into the C drive.

2. Entered into the bootloader, installed the naked driver, restarted computer to finish installation, re-entered the bootloader.

3. Opened up windows command prompt, entered into the Nexus 7 folder and typed in [ Fastboot oem unlock]. Unlocked bootloader.

4. Flashed CRM by typing [ fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img ], then rebooted [ fastboot reboot-bootloader ].

5. I then entered the CMR typing [ fastboot boot clockwork.img ]. The first time I did this however I had about 5 error messages on the bottom of my tablet screen.

6. I read to restart the tablet and try again. So I clicked on the option to boot up, and then on the many No's page I clicked the back button. This had my tablet start as usual, and when it reached the screen asking me to choose a language I turned it off.

7. Turning it back on I re entered into CR [ fastboot boot clockwork.img ], it went in without a problem, except this time my computer tells me it found new hardware.

8. I tried to push the sd card with [ adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ ], I get an error : device not found.

9. I repeated booting normally like in step 6, then copy pasted the supersu.zip file into the internal storage of my tablet.

10. I repeated [ adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ ] in CR, and again same error.
    The point of doing adb push is to get supersu.zip onto your tablet. If you dragged and dropped the zip onto your tablet using Windows, you're ready to proceed. Boot into the bootloader, use your volume keys to select Recovery and then press power to enter recovery. Follow the steps in the video to install supersu.zip in Clockwork, and you'll be rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Okay I entered into the recovery mod and selected [ Install sd from zip card ], then [ choose zip from sd card ].

Now I don't have the file supersu.zip to choose. I have 4 options.
    1. 0/
    2. legacy/
    3. obb/
    4. +++++Go Back+++++
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #235  

Okay I entered into the recovery mod and selected [ Install sd from zip card ], then [ choose zip from sd card ].

Now I don't have the file supersu.zip to choose. I have 4 options.
    1. 0/
    2. legacy/
    3. obb/
    4. +++++Go Back+++++
    Try the "0" directory. These folders got a little screwy after the update to Android 4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Right in one, the supersu.zip was in the "0" directory.

I believe I succeeded now, just one last thing. When I hit the SuperSu pound key, it tells me the SU binary needs to be updated, is this a problem?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #237  

No that's fine, just hit OK.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Okay so I have been searching for an answer after I messed up this process after doing this tutorial:How To Load a Custom ROM on an Android Device - TheUnlockrTheUnlockr

I went down too far and said install from sideloader or whatever the option was and now I am stuck on the developer screen and it says "Sideload started... Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>" ...

Now I want to know if there is any way to get back to the options screen and do it the way that the video shows, or if there is a way to flash a ROM somehow from the screen I am at. I have looked online and when I try to use the command prompt and type in "adb sideload filename" it says 'adb is not recognized....' I have the sdk platform tool kit installed so therefore the binaries should be installed right? I am just kind of new to this type of thing and am just trying to get my device usable again. Please help!
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #239  

Quote Originally Posted by gaddough View Post
    Okay so I have been searching for an answer after I messed up this process after doing this tutorial:How To Load a Custom ROM on an Android Device - TheUnlockrTheUnlockr

I went down too far and said install from sideloader or whatever the option was and now I am stuck on the developer screen and it says "Sideload started... Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>" ...

Now I want to know if there is any way to get back to the options screen and do it the way that the video shows, or if there is a way to flash a ROM somehow from the screen I am at. I have looked online and when I try to use the command prompt and type in "adb sideload filename" it says 'adb is not recognized....' I have the sdk platform tool kit installed so therefore the binaries should be installed right? I am just kind of new to this type of thing and am just trying to get my device usable again. Please help!
    This is just a poor implementation of a feature in Clockwork. Koush needs to add an option to return to the recovery menu. You'll need to reset your device by holding the power button down for a few seconds.

Awesome! I was so scared to just restart it because it said that I had erased all of the data in order to flash a ROM. But it all worked out! I just rebooted and recovered and I will give another crack at it later when I have more time. Thank you for the help and hopefully I will not run into any more stupid user errors again :P

I thought I read somewhere that if you flash a custom recovery you can't get OTA updates. Yet I also read people that have root with OTA updates. But you have to install clockwork "recovery" in order to get root? So I am confused.

OK I see there is the new option mentioned to allow OTA updates by not flashing. And I guess the other way was by flashing the stock recovery afterwards, you just had to do clockwork first for root.

Does flashing recovery stock and custom back and forth like the wipe the device?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #242  

Quote Originally Posted by dralezero View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that if you flash a custom recovery you can't get OTA updates. Yet I also read people that have root with OTA updates. But you have to install clockwork "recovery" in order to get root? So I am confused.

OK I see there is the new option mentioned to allow OTA updates by not flashing. And I guess the other way was by flashing the stock recovery afterwards, you just had to do clockwork first for root.

Does flashing recovery stock and custom back and forth like the wipe the device?
    ClockworkMod Recovery does not "stick" after it is installed. After rebooting, you get stock recovery back. So you can flash Clockwork, root by flashing the SuperSU.zip, then reboot and you're ready for OTA updates. If you want to keep Clockwork and don't care about OTA updates, before your phone reboots Clockwork will prompt you and give you the chance to make Clockwork "stick" and be installed permanently; if you say yes to this, then you lose the ability to do OTA updates.

And only unlocking the bootloader using "oem fastboot unlock" will wipe the device.
    Thanked by 2:

successful root with 4.2.1 OTA for now thanks. did have to setup wifi to get a home screen then reboot to have /sdcard/ available for supersu.zip to be put there. then repeat the clockwork steps.

i just have a quick question, this is regarding the initial backup made before unlocking the bootloader

if i recieve the device fresh, and dont add any apps to it, would it be fine to skip this step?

i only want to make the nandroid backup so if i want to return to stock at some point, and i plan on using cmw to make a nandroid backup. so is it necessary to do that initial backup or can i just wait till the process is finished and make a nandroid in cmw?
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #245  

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    i just have a quick question, this is regarding the initial backup made before unlocking the bootloader

if i recieve the device fresh, and dont add any apps to it, would it be fine to skip this step?

i only want to make the nandroid backup so if i want to return to stock at some point, and i plan on using cmw to make a nandroid backup. so is it necessary to do that initial backup or can i just wait till the process is finished and make a nandroid in cmw?
    The initial backup is optional. If you have nothing to backup, just skip that step.

Sent from my Nexus 4

The initial backup is optional. If you have nothing to backup, just skip that step.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Oh ok, thanks

Just to clarify :

So as long as I make sure to make a nandroid backup in cmw, i will be able to return to stock?

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2 , because just Paranoid Android wasn't enough
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #247  

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Oh ok, thanks

Just to clarify :

So as long as I make sure to make a nandroid backup in cmw, i will be able to return to stock?

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2 , because just Paranoid Android wasn't enough
    Pretty much. You can flash a ROM, and always go back to stock ROM by restoring the nandroid backup.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Pretty much. You can flash a ROM, and always go back to stock ROM by restoring the nandroid backup.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Oh ok, thanks

So I'm just going to skip the initial backup, unlock bootloader, root, then make a nandroid, then flash the new rom

Can't wait till I get my Nexus! Planning on flashing a 4.1.2 aokp rom

ragnarokx likes this.

I just wanted to post a thanks, FINALLY rooted. Had a whole lot of problems trying to root (with the pushing supersu.zip stage). I tried the troubleshooting methods but they hadn't worked, was about to give up but I tried it again. Don't know what happened this time, but running the command line for it seemed to work and I was finally able to see the supersu file in the recovery mode screen.
    The one thing that sticks out, is that I reinstalled the drivers again, don't know if that matters or not. Well, thanks again for this incredible guide.
    Now that I think about it, I actually placed the supersu file in the "internal device storage" but it didn't show up, so I ran the command line "adb push..." and this was when i was able to see the file in the tablet. In other words, I did both and that did the trick for me.
    ragnarokx likes this.

Mediafire has blocked the universal naked driver.zip. any chance og reuploading it?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast