[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that if you flash a custom recovery you can't get OTA updates. Yet I also read people that have root with OTA updates. But you have to install clockwork "recovery" in order to get root? So I am confused.

OK I see there is the new option mentioned to allow OTA updates by not flashing. And I guess the other way was by flashing the stock recovery afterwards, you just had to do clockwork first for root.

Does flashing recovery stock and custom back and forth like the wipe the device?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that if you flash a custom recovery you can't get OTA updates. Yet I also read people that have root with OTA updates. But you have to install clockwork "recovery" in order to get root? So I am confused.

OK I see there is the new option mentioned to allow OTA updates by not flashing. And I guess the other way was by flashing the stock recovery afterwards, you just had to do clockwork first for root.

Does flashing recovery stock and custom back and forth like the wipe the device?

ClockworkMod Recovery does not "stick" after it is installed. After rebooting, you get stock recovery back. So you can flash Clockwork, root by flashing the SuperSU.zip, then reboot and you're ready for OTA updates. If you want to keep Clockwork and don't care about OTA updates, before your phone reboots Clockwork will prompt you and give you the chance to make Clockwork "stick" and be installed permanently; if you say yes to this, then you lose the ability to do OTA updates.

And only unlocking the bootloader using "oem fastboot unlock" will wipe the device.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
successful root with 4.2.1 OTA for now thanks. did have to setup wifi to get a home screen then reboot to have /sdcard/ available for supersu.zip to be put there. then repeat the clockwork steps.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
i just have a quick question, this is regarding the initial backup made before unlocking the bootloader

if i recieve the device fresh, and dont add any apps to it, would it be fine to skip this step?

i only want to make the nandroid backup so if i want to return to stock at some point, and i plan on using cmw to make a nandroid backup. so is it necessary to do that initial backup or can i just wait till the process is finished and make a nandroid in cmw?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
i just have a quick question, this is regarding the initial backup made before unlocking the bootloader

if i recieve the device fresh, and dont add any apps to it, would it be fine to skip this step?

i only want to make the nandroid backup so if i want to return to stock at some point, and i plan on using cmw to make a nandroid backup. so is it necessary to do that initial backup or can i just wait till the process is finished and make a nandroid in cmw?

The initial backup is optional. If you have nothing to backup, just skip that step.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The initial backup is optional. If you have nothing to backup, just skip that step.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Oh ok, thanks

Just to clarify :

So as long as I make sure to make a nandroid backup in cmw, i will be able to return to stock?

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2 , because just Paranoid Android wasn't enough :)

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok, thanks

Just to clarify :

So as long as I make sure to make a nandroid backup in cmw, i will be able to return to stock?

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2 , because just Paranoid Android wasn't enough :)

Pretty much. You can flash a ROM, and always go back to stock ROM by restoring the nandroid backup.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much. You can flash a ROM, and always go back to stock ROM by restoring the nandroid backup.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Oh ok, thanks

So I'm just going to skip the initial backup, unlock bootloader, root, then make a nandroid, then flash the new rom

Can't wait till I get my Nexus! Planning on flashing a 4.1.2 aokp rom

holyphantom

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to post a thanks, FINALLY rooted. Had a whole lot of problems trying to root (with the pushing supersu.zip stage). I tried the troubleshooting methods but they hadn't worked, was about to give up but I tried it again. Don't know what happened this time, but running the command line for it seemed to work and I was finally able to see the supersu file in the recovery mode screen.
The one thing that sticks out, is that I reinstalled the drivers again, don't know if that matters or not. Well, thanks again for this incredible guide.
Now that I think about it, I actually placed the supersu file in the "internal device storage" but it didn't show up, so I ran the command line "adb push..." and this was when i was able to see the file in the tablet. In other words, I did both and that did the trick for me.

Billo86

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
hey, i have entered "fastboot oem unlock" in cmd window. then ... appaeared, but nothing more happens, neither on the tablet or cmd window. any suggestions?

Billo86

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
^i am following your vid, and i typed "fastboot oem unlock" like you did in the vid. then my cmd window shows "..." just like your video but nothing more happens. The tablet is on android robot and cmd is "..." and i cant type anything in it.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
^i am following your vid, and i typed "fastboot oem unlock" like you did in the vid. then my cmd window shows "..." just like your video but nothing more happens. The tablet is on android robot and cmd is "..." and i cant type anything in it.

enter "fastboot oem devices" and tell me what it says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer