[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(61672)

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
So I managed to unlock and install clockwork recovery. After that I couldn't get the supersu.zip to transfer. after a reboot I got it and got into Nexus startup sequence.

It asked me to install the update, and smartly I hit yes to reboot and install. It failed and now I can only get to the loading screen.

I tried flashing the stock recovery back but I'm still stuck on the loading screen every time it reboots.

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
ragnarokx:

Previously unlocked my GNex bootloader to get a backup. Have not rooted before. Thanks for the video....easy. I found I had to do some of the commands a couple times and reboot Clockwork a couple times, but wasn't a problem....About to reboot into stock recovery to get my 4.1.1 then back to clockwork. Thanks again!

Reactions: ragnarokx

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the new Clockwork version may have been causing problems with mounting the sdcard and pushing supersu.zip - I've reverted to the previous version. Anyone who is on Clockwork v6.0.0.4 try the version posted now, v5.8.0.2 if you're having problems.

So I managed to unlock and install clockwork recovery. After that I couldn't get the supersu.zip to transfer. after a reboot I got it and got into Nexus startup sequence.

It asked me to install the update, and smartly I hit yes to reboot and install. It failed and now I can only get to the loading screen.

I tried flashing the stock recovery back but I'm still stuck on the loading screen every time it reboots.

Are you referring to an OTA update? What loading screen?

Reactions: 2defmouze

anon(61672)

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the new Clockwork version may have been causing problems with mounting the sdcard and pushing supersu.zip - I've reverted to the previous version. Anyone who is on Clockwork v6.0.0.4 try the version posted now, v5.8.0.2

What is the loading screen?

The Nexus logo, pulsing.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I assume the OTA. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. Yeah it prompted me that an update was available and asked me to reboot to install. Instinctively I clicked yes, it rebooted and failed.

I'm not sure what you did... flashing a recovery has nothing to do with booting into Android. Try holding power to reset. If that doesn't work, do a factory reset from recovery. Last resort, use this to return to stock: http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/28544-[Guide]-Nexus-7-Bootloaders/Recoveries/Root/Back-to-Stock-(WIP)#entry764332

I'll make my own return to stock guide when I get home in a couple days, but the above should work fine if you absolutely need it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Edit: in house back to stock thread is live!
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1980885

Last edited:
Reactions: anon(61672)

anon(61672)

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what you did... flashing a recovery has nothing to do with booting into Android. Try holding power to reset. If that doesn't work, do a factory reset from recovery. Last resort, use this to return to stock: [Guide] Nexus 7 Bootloaders/Recoveries/Root/Back to Stock (WIP) - Nexus 7 Tablet - RootzWiki[Guide]-Nexus-7-Bootloaders/Recoveries/Root/Back-to-Stock-(WIP)#entry764332

I'll make my own return to stock guide when I get home in a couple days, but the above should work fine if you absolutely need it.

Yeah what I did was try and do too many things at one time. Cooking dinner, unlocking/rooting, talking on the phone with the wife & answering work emails.

Thanks a lot for Back-to-Stock link, it worked like a charm. Next time I won't be so foolhardy and I'll just focus on the important stuff.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah what I did was try and do too many things at one time. Cooking dinner, unlocking/rooting, talking on the phone with the wife & answering work emails.

Thanks a lot for Back-to-Stock link, it worked like a charm. Next time I won't be so foolhardy and I'll just focus on the important stuff.

Glad it worked out. Yeah, multitasking is not your friend when rooting for the first time :)

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting an error while trying to install the driver for the Nexus 7 saying "Access is denied". Any suggestion on how I can get past it? Pic shows the window...

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Login to Windows with a user that has proper admin rights.

I'm the only user on the computer and have full admin rights. I enabled USB debugging on my Nexus (thought it may have made a difference) and went into the bootloader again, windows installed drivers listing "Android ADB Interface" automatically, but I still can't install "Google Nexus 7 Bootloader Interface". Grrr

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm the only user on the computer and have full admin rights. I enabled USB debugging on my Nexus (thought it may have made a difference) and went into the bootloader again, windows installed drivers listing "Android ADB Interface" automatically, but I still can't install "Google Nexus 7 Bootloader Interface". Grrr

If you figure it out be sure to post the fix. I'll do some Googling about Windows drivers and see if I can find anything.

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If you figure it out be sure to post the fix. I'll do some Googling about Windows drivers and see if I can find anything.

Figured it out just now. The folder contents were encrypted and Windows needed them to be decrypted for the driver to install properly. To decrypt, right-click on the folder -> properties -> Advanced (under "General" tab) -> deselect "encrypt contents to secure data".

Installing the driver worked like a charm after this. :)

Thanks for your help!

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I struggled for a good 30 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't mount the sdcard in recovery. I was also getting several error messages at the bottom of the screen about being unable to mount or read some cache folders.

I actually gave up and just let the tablet boot up to the welcome screen, and then powered it back down and booted to the bootloader and then into recovery. Once I did this - the errors were gone, and it was able to mount the sdcard to flash the supersu file.

Just thought I would share this in case anyone else is having the same issues.

Thanks for the guide!

vile4ever

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So I flashed Clockwork, it alerted me to the OTA. I chose to download and install... couldn't from Clockwork.

So today I reflashed stock recovery. It's no longer alerting me to an OTA, says I'm up-to-date on 4.1, and I don't see an update.zip on my sdcard.

Any ideas? :\

dswartze

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
You need stock recovery to install an OTA update. To get stock recovery back, you repeat the same steps that you used to install Clockwork. do the following:

6) you should now see stock recovery, which is a little Android laying down with an exclamation point over him. if you see this, then you're ready to apply the OTA update. reboot and apply the 4.1.1 update as normal.

I now have the stock recovery installed, but the OTA update is no where insight. When I do a System check to see if there are any updates, all I get is "Your system is up to date."

Any ideas how to get the 4.1.1 update? Accord to my About tablet screen, I am still on 4.1.

vile4ever

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So I flashed Clockwork, it alerted me to the OTA. I chose to download and install... couldn't from Clockwork.

So today I reflashed stock recovery. It's no longer alerting me to an OTA, says I'm up-to-date on 4.1, and I don't see an update.zip on my sdcard.

Any ideas? :\

Nevermind, got it. Had to clear data/force stop on Google Services Framework. Now it's downloading OTA.

nexusboy

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
when i get the the cmd i type in fast boot oem unlock then it says fail, anyone know what the problem is I'm trying to root it through parallels since I'm using a mac, thank you

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
when i get the the cmd i type in fast boot oem unlock then it says fail, anyone know what the problem is I'm trying to root it through parallels since I'm using a mac, thank you

Try using a PC, or Windows through bootcamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol