[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue that prevented installing the unsigned driver in Windows 8. To fix that issue I did the following:

• From the Metro or Desktop
  • Bring up Charms by mouseing over to the right of the screen
  • Go to Settings
  • More PC Settings
  • General
  • Advanced Startup > Restart Now
  • Trouble shoot
  • Advanced options
  • Windows startup options
  • Restart
  • Click on 'Disable driver signature enforcement
  • Reboot

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If I want OTA uptdates I have to click non on which of the amove menus?:eek:

From the 1st post:
7606664948_3ebe866242_c.jpg

Pick your favorite No ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: Vegiecoli

biloo93

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi when i tried to root i got the same error message and one of the above posters. I tried rebooting Clockwork from command prompt, but it says device not found. Not sure what to do.

volumetric

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi,I'm trying to re-lock my N7 after unlocking and rooting it, I haven't done anything else to

it. I type in: fastboot-mac oem lock and get the unknown command in Terminal

also still seeing LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED on the bootloader screen, can you help?

biloo93

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Jumped the gun here, everything working fine now. Keyboard on the device seems unresponsive compared to before root. Anyone else with a similar problem? Also how would I unroot if I wanted to?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,I'm trying to re-lock my N7 after unlocking and rooting it, I haven't done anything else to

it. I type in: fastboot-mac oem lock and get the unknown command in Terminal

also still seeing LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED on the bootloader screen, can you help?

Make sure you're entering the command right.. Looks like it's missing "./"
for a mac command, unless you just omitted that here..

Why are you relocking out of curiosity?

Jumped the gun here, everything working fine now. Keyboard on the device seems unresponsive compared to before root. Anyone else with a similar problem? Also how would I unroot if I wanted to?

Try a reboot. Or clear data and cache from keyboard if that doesn't help, rooting shouldn't have any effect on it tho. To unroot.. Open the Superuser app I believe it has an option to remove root completely, which would remove the binary.
EDIT: just checked and it doesn't, sorry about that. Funny I've never had to unroot something, lol. Could always just restore the factory system.img over fastboot. If you really needed to get that done I could help. It's similar to following my factory images guide but you would just do a specific img.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

volumetric

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much, yes "./ " ,I missed it out,you were correct, i can relock the device fine now.
I'm relocking because I'm returning My N7,the screen for some reason is saturated,like it's been in the sun for too long,very low contrast. Just want to put everything back as I found it.
Cheers

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
it's a nexus. generally speaking, the worst you can do is softbrick it, which is pretty easily recovered from.

This plus..

Honestly, you probably couldn't brick it if you actively tried.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

This.

Quoted for truth :)

You can't brick it. Just read and prepare yourself. It's ridiculously easy to accomplish.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, just rooted my N7. I ran into the same issue as spiff72 where it couldn't find an sdcard. I let it boot to the start, then powered down and reboot into the bootloader and repeated the process in the video. Worked like a charm.

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Any idea when the problems with CWM (not able to boot into recovery from bootloader) might be fixed?

I know you can boot into recovery using ROM Manager but in general I don't use ROM Manager and prefer to do everything manually.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Any idea when the problems with CWM (not able to boot into recovery from bootloader) might be fixed?

I know you can boot into recovery using ROM Manager but in general I don't use ROM Manager and prefer to do everything manually.

Personally I recommend TWRP instead of CWM Recovery. I've been using it for months on my Gnex and now my Nex7 and have never had an issue with it. The interface is nicer and it's very fast.

You can download a fastboot-able img of it from their site (will try to include a link in a few) or just use the Goomanager app to flash it for you. Once you go TWRP you won't go back to CWM, imo. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mikec8785

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I'll check out TWRP. I've just used CWM for so long and I'm a little afraid to venture out of my comfort zone but since it's a Nexus I can't really go wrong, right? :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll check out TWRP. I've just used CWM for so long and I'm a little afraid to venture out of my comfort zone but since it's a Nexus I can't really go wrong, right? :)

Exactly.. It's easy to switch back if you want, and you'll likely not want to anyway. Go for it :)

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Personally I recommend TWRP instead of CWM Recovery. I've been using it for months on my Gnex and now my Nex7 and have never had an issue with it. The interface is nicer and it's very fast.

You can download a fastboot-able img of it from their site (will try to include a link in a few) or just use the Goomanager app to flash it for you. Once you go TWRP you won't go back to CWM, imo. :)

Does TWRP allow boot to recovery from bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome