[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
how do we update to the new ClockworkMod Recovery if we did followed the video already with the first one?

You can flash the new Clockwork the same way you flashed the old one :)

First download the new Nexus7 zip, pull out clockwork.img and place it in your existing nexus7 folder (overwrite or rename the old one). While in the bootloader, "fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img".

Reactions: 2defmouze

aparish21

May 12, 2012
Visit site
SHWELL

I had the same issue, I just started over skipping the unlock step and everything worked correctly.

I had the same issue, even had to push supersu multiple times and reboot recovery twice before supersu would show in the sdcard.

But once it showed it worked as expected from there

Southrncomfortjm

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the tutorial! I'm having an issue though.

Like some others I got stuck trying to push supersu.zip. When I went to go push it, it seems to go as the command prompt shows something similar to what it shows on your screen. Then when I go to install fom SD card, clockwork says "couldn't open directory, couldn't open directory, No files found."

I can't seem to reboot since it just gets stuck in bootloops.

I've booted to recovery and tried to do everything over again and it doesn't work. Help?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the tutorial! I'm having an issue though.

Like some others I got stuck trying to push supersu.zip. When I went to go push it, it seems to go as the command prompt shows something similar to what it shows on your screen. Then when I go to install fom SD card, clockwork says "couldn't open directory, couldn't open directory, No files found."

I can't seem to reboot since it just gets stuck in bootloops.

I've booted to recovery and tried to do everything over again and it doesn't work. Help?

While in Clockwork, type "adb reboot recovery" into Windows command prompt. Clockwork should read files correctly and see SuperSU.zip after that.

Southrncomfortjm

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
While in Clockwork, type "adb reboot recovery" into Windows command prompt. Clockwork should read files correctly and see SuperSU.zip after that.

Tried it several times, still can't get it to install from SD card, it doesn't seem to be able to find the SD card at all, says "Couldn't find directory, no files found."

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Nexus 7 and I'm getting stuck at installing the drivers. When I try to update the drivers and I select the folder with them, it tells me, "Google Nexus 7 BoatLoader Interface. Access is denied." I'm not sure why I'm getting this, and I could use some help. Thanks.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Tried it several times, still can't get it to install from SD card, it doesn't seem to be able to find the SD card at all, says "Couldn't find directory, no files found."

Try rebooting all the way to the setup screen/android lockscreen, then going to Clockwork.

I just got my Nexus 7 and I'm getting stuck at installing the drivers. When I try to update the drivers and I select the folder with them, it tells me, "Google Nexus 7 BoatLoader Interface. Access is denied." I'm not sure why I'm getting this, and I could use some help. Thanks.

me too
i am getting an error while trying to install the drivers

Perhaps you both need to login using a Windows user that has the proper admin rights?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: 2defmouze

Mesopotamian

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
It seams like the Clockwork recovery doesn't stick, I tried many times and it still gets me to the stock recovery every time, one thing I noticed though is that when I flash the clockwork recovery then try to restart the device from clockworkmod, it warns me that it might use the stock recovery at boot, I'm definitively sure I used "fastboot boot clockwork.img" but it still doesn't stick. Please help.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps you both need to login using a Windows user that has the proper admin rights?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Yeah something definitely got screwed up with my permissions even though I'm using an administrator account which shouldn't have a problem. I started over with a different computer and didn't have any problems other than supersu not pushing out. But I copied it manually and then flashed with no issue. Thanks for your awesome guide and video!

stevobail

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue as others with the sdcard not mounting. Could it be that we did the OTA update first and then started this process?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It seams like the Clockwork recovery doesn't stick, I tried many times and it still gets me to the stock recovery every time, one thing I noticed though is that when I flash the clockwork recovery then try to restart the device from clockworkmod, it warns me that it might use the stock recovery at boot, I'm definitively sure I used "fastboot boot clockwork.img" but it still doesn't stick. Please help.

Fastboot boot specifically doesn't write the recovery so it wouldn't stick.. Fastboot flash writes it but it won't stick until you get rid of the recovery-from-boot.p file from /system. If you can boot the recovery and flash su, so you are rooted, you can then use root explorer to get rid of that /system file, or just rename it to "recovery-from-boot.p.bak". Afterwards you might have to flash CWM recovery one more time but now it will stick.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ragnarokx

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Still no luck with my drivers.. did almost everything I can think of.. any other suggestions..?

Gonna try hopping onto another terminal next or rooting at home is the last option..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(61672)

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
So my N7 is just hanging on the loading screen. Every time I reboot it the same thing. Is there any way to get it back to stock fully bootloader locked and everything?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Still no luck with my drivers.. did almost everything I can think of.. any other suggestions..?

Gonna try hopping onto another terminal next or rooting at home is the last option..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Start again with the video, make sure you follow it slowly, step by step... if you are running into driver issues be specific about which part is causing issues... (sorry if you were earlier I missed it)...

Yup me too

You got passed the unlocking part and now are having trouble with just the flashing SU part, correct?

Try rebooting normally. Once booted up, plug into your computer, then just move the su.zip to your tablet over usb. Then reboot into bootloader and flash CWM Recovery again using the earlier instructions, boot into it, and try again to install the su.zip... let me know ....

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So my N7 is just hanging on the loading screen. Every time I reboot it the same thing. Is there any way to get it back to stock fully bootloader locked and everything?

How far along the process did you get.. try to be specific. If possible, you can go back into the bootloader (power down, then hold volume down and power til you get to bootloader)... plug in and do
Code:
fastboot oem lock
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot reboot

Basically it will wipe everything and should let you reboot into a running system, so you can start over. If this doesn't work I'm going to write up a "restoring factory images" tutorial anyways, but lets try this...

EDIT: Note, hit enter between all those lines above and wait for it to finish, if that's not clear... And after the oem unlock command you'll need to confirm it on the tablet, as earlier..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair