[VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

J T M

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Is your tablet connected to your PC via USB when you try to get to recovery? If so, you might want to try redownloading stock recovery and reflashing it (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasi).

I've tried to get into the stock recovery both with the N7 connected to my pc, and unconnected, and the result is always the same. I'll try and reflash as you suggested, and report back.

EDIT: Thanks so much. That appears to have taken care of it.

Last edited:

Famous_king87

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: [VIDEO] Unlock, Root, & Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

can anyone help me im at the CMD trying to ''fastbook oem unlock'' but keep getting ''FAILED <command write failed <unknown error>>

any help would appreciate it

- - - Updated - - -

can anyone help me im at the CMD trying to ''fastbook oem unlock'' but keep getting ''FAILED <command write failed <unknown error>>

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: [VIDEO] Unlock, Root, &amp; Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

- - - Updated - - -

what happens when you do "fastboot devices"?

Cullima

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [VIDEO] Unlock, Root, &amp; Clockwork for the Nexus 7 Tablet

Hello , Im seeing the many questions on here much further than I have gotton . I went through the vid and followed step by step, I got my bootloader unlocked but when i go to type fastboot flash recovery clockworkmod.img it simply says error cannot load please help ive tried this with twrp and the same still happens

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hello , Im seeing the many questions on here much further than I have gotton . I went through the vid and followed step by step, I got my bootloader unlocked but when i go to type fastboot flash recovery clockworkmod.img it simply says error cannot load please help ive tried this with twrp and the same still happens

Three things you need to check: 1) the name of the recovery file is correct 2) the recovery file is in the correct folder 3) your device is correctly connect to the computer, which you can check by typing the command "fastboot devices" and seeing your device's serial number.

Sent from my Nexus 7

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This would work faster if someone could add me on skype lol my screen name is Famous_king would really appreciate the help!

Nobody else can see a conversation outside this thread, and I guarantee there are others that have the same problem as you that would benefit from the solution you find.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Lunarbob19

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I ran into problems when I try and use the clockwork recovery mod. When I type.
Code:
fastboot boot clockwork.img
. My computer gives me the found new hardware message. Then when I try
Code:
adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/.
I get an error device not found.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Even if no one knows how to fix this, I would really appreciate it if you could answer me this.

Is there any problems with using the tablet as normal stopping at this point? I have unlocked the bootloader and really want to use and get used to the Nexus 7, so can I try these things later down the line without hurting my tablet?

I use a Windows XP SP3 32-bit computer.
My tablet is the Nexus 7 32Gigabyte Wi-fi.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I ran into problems when I try and use the clockwork recovery mod. When I type.
Code:
fastboot boot clockwork.img
. My computer gives me the found new hardware message. Then when I try
Code:
adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/.
I get an error device not found.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Even if no one knows how to fix this, I would really appreciate it if you could answer me this.

Is there any problems with using the tablet as normal stopping at this point? I have unlocked the bootloader and really want to use and get used to the Nexus 7, so can I try these things later down the line without hurting my tablet?

I use a Windows XP SP3 32-bit computer.
My tablet is the Nexus 7 32Gigabyte Wi-fi.

If you look at Troubleshooting at the beginning of the thread, this is covered. Boot your tablet all the way while connected to your computer via USB, manually drag and drop the zip using Windows, then boot back into the boot loader and continue from there.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Lunarbob19

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If you look at Troubleshooting at the beginning of the thread, this is covered. Boot your tablet all the way while connected to your computer via USB, manually drag and drop the zip using Windows, then boot back into the boot loader and continue from there.

I actually did try this once already. I had my tablet connected and copied the file supersu.zip into the internal storage next to the other folders. I will remove it and try again.

Do you know what I should do about it detecting new hardware again, should I reinstall that naked driver?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I actually did try this once already. I had my tablet connected and copied the file supersu.zip into the internal storage next to the other folders. I will remove it and try again.

Do you know what I should do about it detecting new hardware again, should I reinstall that naked driver?

You said you unlocked the bootloader, so your computer must have seen your tablet. Have you flashed recovery yet? If so, did you try flashing the SuperSU.zip yet?

Lunarbob19

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
You said you unlocked the bootloader, so your computer must have seen your tablet. Have you flashed recovery yet? If so, did you try flashing the SuperSU.zip yet?

I appreciate you helping me, thanks. These are the steps I successfully completed.

1. Downloaded the two files, the naked driver and Nexus 7. Unzipped to desktop, then put both folders into the C drive.

2. Entered into the bootloader, installed the naked driver, restarted computer to finish installation, re-entered the bootloader.

3. Opened up windows command prompt, entered into the Nexus 7 folder and typed in [ Fastboot oem unlock]. Unlocked bootloader.

4. Flashed CRM by typing [ fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img ], then rebooted [ fastboot reboot-bootloader ].

5. I then entered the CMR typing [ fastboot boot clockwork.img ]. The first time I did this however I had about 5 error messages on the bottom of my tablet screen.

6. I read to restart the tablet and try again. So I clicked on the option to boot up, and then on the many No's page I clicked the back button. This had my tablet start as usual, and when it reached the screen asking me to choose a language I turned it off.

7. Turning it back on I re entered into CR [ fastboot boot clockwork.img ], it went in without a problem, except this time my computer tells me it found new hardware.

8. I tried to push the sd card with [ adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ ], I get an error : device not found.

9. I repeated booting normally like in step 6, then copy pasted the supersu.zip file into the internal storage of my tablet.

10. I repeated [ adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ ] in CR, and again same error.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate you helping me, thanks. These are the steps I successfully completed.

1. Downloaded the two files, the naked driver and Nexus 7. Unzipped to desktop, then put both folders into the C drive.

2. Entered into the bootloader, installed the naked driver, restarted computer to finish installation, re-entered the bootloader.

3. Opened up windows command prompt, entered into the Nexus 7 folder and typed in [ Fastboot oem unlock]. Unlocked bootloader.

4. Flashed CRM by typing [ fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img ], then rebooted [ fastboot reboot-bootloader ].

5. I then entered the CMR typing [ fastboot boot clockwork.img ]. The first time I did this however I had about 5 error messages on the bottom of my tablet screen.

6. I read to restart the tablet and try again. So I clicked on the option to boot up, and then on the many No's page I clicked the back button. This had my tablet start as usual, and when it reached the screen asking me to choose a language I turned it off.

7. Turning it back on I re entered into CR [ fastboot boot clockwork.img ], it went in without a problem, except this time my computer tells me it found new hardware.

8. I tried to push the sd card with [ adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ ], I get an error : device not found.

9. I repeated booting normally like in step 6, then copy pasted the supersu.zip file into the internal storage of my tablet.

10. I repeated [ adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/ ] in CR, and again same error.

The point of doing adb push is to get supersu.zip onto your tablet. If you dragged and dropped the zip onto your tablet using Windows, you're ready to proceed. Boot into the bootloader, use your volume keys to select Recovery and then press power to enter recovery. Follow the steps in the video to install supersu.zip in Clockwork, and you'll be rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Lunarbob19

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Okay I entered into the recovery mod and selected [ Install sd from zip card ], then [ choose zip from sd card ].

Now I don't have the file supersu.zip to choose. I have 4 options.
1. 0/
2. legacy/
3. obb/
4. +++++Go Back+++++

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay I entered into the recovery mod and selected [ Install sd from zip card ], then [ choose zip from sd card ].

Now I don't have the file supersu.zip to choose. I have 4 options.
1. 0/
2. legacy/
3. obb/
4. +++++Go Back+++++

Try the "0" directory. These folders got a little screwy after the update to Android 4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Lunarbob19

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Right in one, the supersu.zip was in the "0" directory.

I believe I succeeded now, just one last thing. When I hit the SuperSu pound key, it tells me the SU binary needs to be updated, is this a problem?

gaddough

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I have been searching for an answer after I messed up this process after doing this tutorial:How To Load a Custom ROM on an Android Device - TheUnlockrTheUnlockr

I went down too far and said install from sideloader or whatever the option was and now I am stuck on the developer screen and it says "Sideload started... Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>" ...

Now I want to know if there is any way to get back to the options screen and do it the way that the video shows, or if there is a way to flash a ROM somehow from the screen I am at. I have looked online and when I try to use the command prompt and type in "adb sideload filename" it says 'adb is not recognized....' I have the sdk platform tool kit installed so therefore the binaries should be installed right? I am just kind of new to this type of thing and am just trying to get my device usable again. Please help!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I have been searching for an answer after I messed up this process after doing this tutorial:How To Load a Custom ROM on an Android Device - TheUnlockrTheUnlockr

I went down too far and said install from sideloader or whatever the option was and now I am stuck on the developer screen and it says "Sideload started... Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>" ...

Now I want to know if there is any way to get back to the options screen and do it the way that the video shows, or if there is a way to flash a ROM somehow from the screen I am at. I have looked online and when I try to use the command prompt and type in "adb sideload filename" it says 'adb is not recognized....' I have the sdk platform tool kit installed so therefore the binaries should be installed right? I am just kind of new to this type of thing and am just trying to get my device usable again. Please help!

This is just a poor implementation of a feature in Clockwork. Koush needs to add an option to return to the recovery menu. You'll need to reset your device by holding the power button down for a few seconds.

gaddough

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! I was so scared to just restart it because it said that I had erased all of the data in order to flash a ROM. But it all worked out! I just rebooted and recovered and I will give another crack at it later when I have more time. Thank you for the help and hopefully I will not run into any more stupid user errors again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci