Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

I'm sorry but am I in the wrong forum or did I ask the wrong question? I have tried multiple times to download the factory images with no luck. When I try from PC its a .tar tried from nex7 its a .tar. This is not critical, I am perfectly happy running aokp but I'd like to be able to go back to stock if I felt so inclined. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Hi all,

First post on here, and I would like some advice. I received the 4.2.2 OTA update last week. 2 things are very annoying with it, battery life on my Nexus 7 wifi is now awful, can be at 100% first thing and by 3pm it is down to 33% just by having it on and checking email and web browsing occasionally. Also, and this is my major gripe, is that Sky Go is no longer compatible, and Sky have told me they don't know when they will start work on it! (I know this isn't Google/Androids fault, but I used Sky Go all the time.

My question is this, I can't find the factory image for 4.2.1, only the image for 4.1.2. Is there a 4.2.1 image or will 4.1.2 be ok to use for this tutorial?

I'm off work today, and hoping to get this done!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Simon

ok I made a mistake I got into bootloader but its recovery mode that was problematic

- - - Updated - - -

ok I made a mistake I got into bootloader but its recovery mode that was problematic
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #229  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSiOram77 View Post
    Hi all,

First post on here, and I would like some advice. I received the 4.2.2 OTA update last week. 2 things are very annoying with it, battery life on my Nexus 7 wifi is now awful, can be at 100% first thing and by 3pm it is down to 33% just by having it on and checking email and web browsing occasionally. Also, and this is my major gripe, is that Sky Go is no longer compatible, and Sky have told me they don't know when they will start work on it! (I know this isn't Google/Androids fault, but I used Sky Go all the time.

My question is this, I can't find the factory image for 4.2.1, only the image for 4.1.2. Is there a 4.2.1 image or will 4.1.2 be ok to use for this tutorial?

I'm off work today, and hoping to get this done!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Simon
    It would work fine.

Sorry guys I see there are some other questions and posts I never got notified of here. Any lingering issues just explain clearly and I'll address sometime today.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

It worked great, was very wary of doing it to begin with, but think I learnt a lot by doing so!

Is there anyway to stop the notification for the update? It pops up every hour or so now, and until the Sky Go app is compatible I don't want to upgrade.

Thanks

Simon
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #231  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by simonoram View Post
    It worked great, was very wary of doing it to begin with, but think I learnt a lot by doing so!

Is there anyway to stop the notification for the update? It pops up every hour or so now, and until the Sky Go app is compatible I don't want to upgrade.

Thanks

Simon
    I believe there is a way but I don't know it.. If you are able to find it out please come back and share

Thanks, really appreciate the help. I'll keep digging and when/if I find out I'll post.

I can't get my device to do literally ANYTHING, it won't show the Google logo and won't let me get into recovery. Any help?

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

Just used this and it worked awesome

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    beamed from the mothership...
    but its only a proxy for my
    lubuntu 12.04
    2defmouze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyexperia View Post
    error: cannot load 'radio-tilapia-1231_0.17.0_1025.img': No error
    same here! u found a fix yet ?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #236  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by fatal3xcepti0n View Post
    I can't get my device to do literally ANYTHING, it won't show the Google logo and won't let me get into recovery. Any help?
    You'll need to elaborate.. Are you using the correct button combinations? Power off completely then boot into the bootloader and go from there.

What caused the original problem that required you to do a factory image restore?

Quote Originally Posted by oads View Post
    same here! u found a fix yet ?
    As I only own a wifi N7 I can only speculate... I would keep trying, maybe reinstall the drivers and switch USB ports and cords...

Thanks god I found this thread! After a custom ROM install went wrong, I tried to get it back to stock by following this thread. However it kept stalling at copying system.img on my Mac, even when copying the files one by one.

Tried it on an old Win XP machine and same problem, also when using the Wug tool. Finally after 3 hours of sweating I got it working copying over the 4 .img files individually on the XP machine.

Thanks for a great thread and forum. And I may even try installing the custom ROM again in the future once I do more research (I did actually have it working, just somehow it couldn't access the SD card).
    2defmouze likes this.

Spent an evening trying to resurrect my 3g tablet using this guide and went to bed (late) with it still bricked. This morning I remembered the tip on this thread, to try a different USB socket, and decided to go one further and borrowed my girlfriends laptop - worked perfectly first time!! Just thought I would throw this in as It might help a fellow sufferer!
    BIG, BIG THANKS.
    2defmouze likes this.

Ok, so I go to the google website to download the factory image. I click on the link and when I do so it saves the file as nakasi-jzo54k-factory-973f190e.tar, not nakasi-jzo54k-factory-973f190e.tgz. I've tried it on my pc, my nexus 7, and my HTC. Everyone of them saves it the same way. My computer doesn't even know what to do with a .tar file. If you need more info just let me know and I'll answer if I can. Thanks

I don't understnad how to get the fastboot drivers. I have looked around the internet for a while :/
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #241  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by jplinebaugh View Post
    Ok, so I go to the google website to download the factory image. I click on the link and when I do so it saves the file as nakasi-jzo54k-factory-973f190e.tar, not nakasi-jzo54k-factory-973f190e.tgz. I've tried it on my pc, my nexus 7, and my HTC. Everyone of them saves it the same way. My computer doesn't even know what to do with a .tar file. If you need more info just let me know and I'll answer if I can. Thanks
    Can you use 7zip to extract..?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McGrath View Post
    I don't understnad how to get the fastboot drivers. I have looked around the internet for a while :/
    Look in the Unlock and Root guide..

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Can you use 7zip to extract..?

Look in the Unlock and Root guide..

Yes, that worked! I had tried winzip before and it didn't work for whatever reason. Thanks 2def!

"bootloader-grouper-4.18.img
    sending 'bootloader' (2096 KB)...
    FAILED (remote: Bootloader is locked.)
    "

how do I unlock bootloader? my nexus 7 won't boot past x logo.

Thanks!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #244  

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
    "bootloader-grouper-4.18.img
    sending 'bootloader' (2096 KB)...
    FAILED (remote: Bootloader is locked.)
    "

how do I unlock bootloader? my nexus 7 won't boot past x logo.

Thanks!
    If your bootloader is locked then why are you doing this procedure? This is to get your device back up and running after you already screwed something up while hacking away at it, lol

( sorry for my eng )
    After do all the steps - i can't login normal. My N7 stop in finding wifi and no more step to choose.
    How can i fix that ?
    I do 3 ways but nothing can sold this problem:
    1) After you finish the process in fastboot and the device begins to reboot... immediately unplug it from the computer and sit patiently. See if giving it at least 5-10 minutes makes a difference. Also check the md5 checksum of the image you downloaded and make sure it matches what is given for the file on Google's site
    2) After the full flash and still getting bootloops... I'd say try unzipping the main image zip (image-nakasi-jro03d.zip) and flashing JUST the system from the bootloader, i.e. only do:
    Code:
    fastboot flash system system.img
    3) Have you tried the following:
    (1) Ignoring all of the partition wipes featured in the guide. No reformatting, repartitioning. Try immediately locking and unlocking the device before you get to flashing.
    (2) Then flashing the stock images

I bought my N7 to a Tablet Service - they can fix that but when i Reset it to factory - the problem return. I don't want to loose money with Tablet Service again.

My Nexus 7 can run Ubuntu 12.10 Touch Preview very well - i have just tried. ( In recovery - install 2 zip files )

2.4 - i solve th problem - my wifi network has a problem
    Last edited by o9xx19xx29; 04-01-2013 at 11:40 PM.

I'm currently stuck in the android bootloader and cannot proceed. All the fastboot commands to erase data, recovery, system etc...work perfectly, however I cannot get it to "flash bootloader grouper 4.18.img". It says "unknown partition "bootloader-grouper 4.18.img" then directly under it "error:cannot determine image filename for bootloader-grouper 4.18.img".

I've tried both 4.1.2 and 4.2.2 links, extracted everything to platform tools. Everything should be good to go I just cannot get past this part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@mawilhoit: Show me your folder picture and error report picture.

GREAT - no words - absolutely great.

Thank you for this info. I erased my nexus 7 completely and was left with no os. It was pretty easy to get it baxk up and rumming

Quote Originally Posted by mawilhoit View Post
    I'm currently stuck in the android bootloader and cannot proceed. All the fastboot commands to erase data, recovery, system etc...work perfectly, however I cannot get it to "flash bootloader grouper 4.18.img". It says "unknown partition "bootloader-grouper 4.18.img" then directly under it "error:cannot determine image filename for bootloader-grouper 4.18.img".

I've tried both 4.1.2 and 4.2.2 links, extracted everything to platform tools. Everything should be good to go I just cannot get past this part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You're actually supposed to type it like this:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.18.img
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast