Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

Hi I updated my Nexus 7 2013 32gb LTE to 4.4.
    I would like to flash it back to 4.3.

When I try to flash it with the Nexus Root Toolkit v.1.7.9 from WugFresh I get the following message.

[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore-flashmini.png

Apperently my Bootloader is Version 4.01 and to new!?

I read that I could try to set the tool to force the flash and ignore the warnings. I am unsure if that is a good Idea. Could somebody please help me? Either with a better method to get it back to 4.3 or with a way to flash it with the NRT.

Thanks in advance.

I had to do this after 4.4 update that caused a boot loop .... the Nexus Root Toolkit can handle this without any effort and pretty much handles it all ...
    See also this post.

so anyway, I didn't get an answer to my last post on trying to use Google nexus 7 toolkit 5.0.0 to fix my "stuck on X" problem. I tried several times for hours to flash a factory image, but that program and the scant information I could find on it left me at a dead end. Eventually I found this program: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.9. It has a user interface and clear instructions, highly recommend it. Had to uninstall the former program and clear out the drivers, which the Root Toolkit also had a great task window for. And I was amazed that all my programs were restored! Not sure why that happened, perhaps they were backed up through Google somehow. I did several factory wipes which didn't fix the problem, so I was sure I'd lost everything.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    rXa

please help, i think i've softbricked my nexus 7 2012 when i tried to update from 4.3 to 4.4
    and now i think my os is completely erased, but i still can enter fastboot mode
    i tried to flash stock rom but it always stuck on "sending system" whether it is via fastboot command or Nexus Root Toolkit
    changing usb port or another pc doesn't seem to help
    is there something i'm missing here?
    plese help..

(i'm sorry for bad english)

Thumbs up Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

These instructions saved my daughter's christmas. We bought 2 Nexus 7's, refurbished, and as soon as hers updated it bricked. I found these instructions and within 30 minutes she was back playing with her new tablet. Thank you!!!!!!

my nexus 7 (2013) is completely bricked...

been following this guide, and it gets stuck on the fastboot erase part..when erasing , nothing happens, so i tried and skip that step and instead move forward with
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img --> FAILEd bootloader is locked
    fastboot oem lock --> bootloader is alrdy locked
    fastboot oem unlock --> Unlock bootloader? Yes. Device freezes and nothing happens. waited like 40min and nothing happend.

flash-all.bat just gives me error messages saying the bootloader is locked..

anyone who wanna try and help me step by step?

Thank you so much for this easy tutorial. I was at my wits end trying to get my nexus 7 to update to 4.4. this worked like a charm.

HELP please!! Attempted factory image restore to 4.3 following instructions given here. Entered the CMD

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img and received the following

writing bootloader..
    FAILED <remote:<invalid state>

also got "Signature Mismatch" in red in the upper left corner of Nexus 7 screen

What to do now??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ziebell View Post
    HELP please!! Attempted factory image restore to 4.3 following instructions given here. Entered the CMD

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img and received the following

writing bootloader..
    FAILED <remote:<invalid state>

also got "Signature Mismatch" in red in the upper left corner of Nexus 7 screen

What to do now??

Thanks
    Hi, Grant Ziebell...

Yes. There are known problems fastboot flashing **some** versions of the v4.23 bootloader... and that result in the error message you quote.

This came to light some months ago, in this XDA thread, here...

[Q] JWR66Y nakasi factory image bootloader problem - xda-developers

Also, in this thread, somebody has uploaded the v4.23 bootloader from build JWR66V which has the correct MD5 checksum and is identical to the version I use (and have successfully fastboot flashed).

Here are the links....

v4.23 bootloader from build JWR66V - for WiFi only Nexus 7.
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] JWR66Y nakasi factory image bootloader problem

v4.23 bootloader from build JWR66V - for WiFi & 3G (mobile) Nexus 7.
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] JWR66Y nakasi factory image bootloader problem.

Both of these appear to be identical and both have the correct MD5 signature for a v4.23 bootloader.

*** A valid 4.23 bootloader ".img" file has an MD5 signature of df53028033c9eccf4fe5ba7bc198ce24 ***

Finally... and before you do anything... you should read the following...

[WARNING][URGENT] N7 grouper (2012 WiFi) bootloader .img files from Google

Flashing a corrupt or incorrect bootloader has the potential for hardbricking the device, so it's absolutely critical you are flashing the correct bootloader for the specfic kind of Nexus 7 you have, and ensure it has the correct MD5 checksum as detailed above.

Hope this helps... and good luck.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    Nexus 7 'grouper': KitKat 4.4.2, with franco r77 kernel.

Hi there,
    I'm having some real trouble here but your guide is great!
    When I try to flash the .zip image, the process fails on writing system. So I tried what you suggested earlier about flashing each of the .img files separately. Now recovery and boot both flash successfully. But when I try to system.img or userdata.img, my tablet immediately become completely unresponsive.
    On the first attempt, I get error 'FileWriteFailed' and if I try it again I get 'InvalidArgument'. I can turn the tablet off and boot into fastboot but the same thing happens again.
    A few more details:
    I am trying this because the tablet would only get as far as the Google logo when switching on.
    In the week before this happened, the tablet would randomly turn off. This didn't happen in Safe Mode but I couldn't locate the source of the issue.

I know you're busy helping so I'd be very thankful for any ideas you might have! Thanks!

Hi there fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img, Failed, (Remote: (InvaildState).Finished..... Please can you tell me why and how to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ayres View Post
    Hi there fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img, Failed, (Remote: (InvaildState).Finished..... Please can you tell me why and how to fix this?
    Hi, Ben Ayres...

A couple of posts back in this thread, and in answer to a similar question to yours, I have explained in some detail the likely cause of the <Remote: <InvaildState> error message.

It appears that the v4.23 bootloader that ships with some factory images of Android is either corrupt or in some other way incorrect. This issue has been discussed at length over on XDA, and copies of the v4.23 bootloader that are known to fastboot flash without error have been uploaded and made available... for which, see the links in my previous post.

Hope this helps.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    Nexus 7 'grouper': KitKat 4.4.2, with franco r77 kernel.

Hello Ged.
    I think I understand everything you are saying but I have a few questions before I continue.

I have a Nexus 7 2012 HSPA. I was running 4.2.2 and was attempting to flash stock + unroot with WUG to 4.4.2 It failed to flash bootloader 4.23 and failed with the error that my bootloader is 4.18. I am stuck on the bootloader now and it does still show that I have Tilapia with bootloader version 4.18.

I have downloaded the file from the link you shared for 4.23 from JWR66V for WiFi and 3G. So now, should I just copy and paste it to C:\Program Files\WugFresh Development\data\Factory_Images\nakasig-kot49h-factory-83d93b5f and then attempt to flash stock + unroot again?

Also, I am unsure how to verify MD5 Signature. But, if I downloaded it from the xda link you provided, it should be good, right?

Thank you,
    Louis

UPDATE: So, I decided to play the lottery since I'll need to be going to bed soon to wake up on time for work tomorrow. THANK YOU Ged.!!!! I used the 3G version of the bootloader by simply replacing the img file that I got in KOT49H from Google. WUG's NRT worked like a champ and everything worked perfectly with the Flash + Unroot. Now I have KiKat.

If anyone wants to update to 4.2.2 and has the bootloader fail and remain on 4.18....Just swap the files like I did in my post and Flash Recovery +Unroot with WUGs and it will upgrade your bootloader to 4.23 and work perfectly. ^_^

Restoring my backups now.
    Thanked by:

The instructions dont say to do this, but you need to run fastbootloader oem unlock. At the end of the instructions it tells you to run fastbootloader oem lock to lock it back. Just FYI, havent read all of the post so someone may have already mentioned this. I have used this to un-brick both of my kids' tablets and it works great.

Hi friend,
    Your instructions are very good for someone that has a rough idea about fastboot files etc....however I don't....would you be able to post me something a little more ***** friendly so I can get my nexus 7 out of oblivion?
    I appreciate any help I can get as right now my nexus is royally f***ked.

thanks man

Banz

when i did a fastboot -w update image-razor-kot49h.zip in the command prompt it showed fastboot.exe has stop working.
    what should i do
    Zee

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts

Have a friend's Nexus 7 (2012 wifi) that I can't get into bootloader. When I connect to Windows and try volume down+power I get nothing. The tablet shows up in windows device manager as "APX". I've read in other forums that this means it's hard bricked and I'm SOL. I've previously flashed Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 using fastboot so I know the steps, but I can't get this tablet into fastboot mode. Is it beyond repair?
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

Looks like my device died Can it be recovered at all now?
    Following commands were run:

Code:
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot devices
    015d188469500803	fastboot
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase boot
    erasing 'boot'...
    OKAY [  0.284s]
    finished. total time: 0.284s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase cache
    erasing 'cache'...
    OKAY [  0.770s]
    finished. total time: 0.770s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase recovery
    erasing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [  0.597s]
    finished. total time: 0.597s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase system
    erasing 'system'...
    OKAY [  0.952s]
    finished. total time: 0.952s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase userdata
    erasing 'userdata'...
    OKAY [  6.998s]
    finished. total time: 6.998s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
    sending 'bootloader' (2100 KB)...
    OKAY [  0.278s]
    writing 'bootloader'...
    FAILED (remote: (Unknown error code))
    finished. total time: 34.974s
    ????????????	fastboot
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $
    Zee

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vash1984 View Post
    Looks like my device died Can it be recovered at all now?
    Following commands were run:

Code:
    015d188469500803	fastboot
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase boot
    erasing 'boot'...
    OKAY [  0.284s]
    finished. total time: 0.284s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase cache
    erasing 'cache'...
    OKAY [  0.770s]
    finished. total time: 0.770s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase recovery
    erasing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [  0.597s]
    finished. total time: 0.597s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase system
    erasing 'system'...
    OKAY [  0.952s]
    finished. total time: 0.952s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot erase userdata
    erasing 'userdata'...
    OKAY [  6.998s]
    finished. total time: 6.998s
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $ fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
    sending 'bootloader' (2100 KB)...
    OKAY [  0.278s]
    writing 'bootloader'...
    FAILED (remote: (Unknown error code))
    finished. total time: 34.974s
    ????????????	fastboot
    MacBook-Pro-:Android $
    You had an error while flashing the bootloader, same thing happened to me. Apparently there was a bug in the bootloader, there's another one out there that is fixed and won't cause the problem. Anyway, since you now have a corrupt bootloader you're done. The tablet is now in "APX" mode and can't be placed into fastboot. Only option is to send back to Google/Asus, unless some genius out there knows how to do a low-level flash with APX tools.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

I have a Nexus 7 Mobile 2nd Gen. I tried to install dual boot. What I ended up with was a boot loop with the four colored spheres. When apt-get, and ADB wouldn't work I found this articule, I followed the article, till error sig images not found. I then manually installed the boot, system, and recovery images. Now I get to the Google screen and it hangs. The error msg I get at the end of the fastboot update, Device product is 'deb',
    Update requires 'grouper'. I don't know how the deb got there.

Larry

larry@larry-HP-2000:~/Nexus/ROM/Mobile$ fastboot -w update image-nakasi-kot49h.zip
    archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
    archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
    archive does not contain 'system.sig'
    --------------------------------------------
    Bootloader Version...: FLO-04.02
    Baseband Version.....: DEB-
    Serial Number........: 0a08afd7
    --------------------------------------------
    checking product...
    FAILED

Device product is 'deb'.
    Update requires 'grouper'.

finished. total time: 0.017s

Found the problem wrong files. The files were for the WIFI, grouper, not for Mobile deb.
    Paul627g likes this.

I'm having trouble unlocking the bootloader now. When I do the "fastboot oem unlock," command, the screen pops up, but when I press yes, it says unlocking now, stays at that screen, and on the cmd window, it says:
    <bootloader> unlocking...
    FAILED <remote: <unknown error code>>

With the bootloader locked, I can't do anything. Any solutions?

This is in the bottom left corner:
    FASTBOOT MODE
    PRODUCT NAME - grouper
    VARIANT- grouper
    MW VERSION - ER3
    BOOTLOADER VERSION - 4.23
    BASEBAND VERSION - N/A
    SERIAL NUMBER - 015d25689a50001d
    SIGNING - not defined yet
    LOCK STATE - LOCKED

FANTASTIC .. I tried many images, steps and processes... until I saw this post, I was ultimately stuck. Thank you !! Worked like a charm for 4.23 !!!
    Thanked by:
    GedBlake likes this.

tnx... I'm back from the dead... its a pretty good instruction.... easy to follow...
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 LastLast