[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7

So, good news is it's fixed. Bad news is I didn't think to switch to a rear USB port before wasting so much time. I should know the simplest solution is usually the right one. Oh well, thanks for the help 2defmouze.

Luckily I was still able to get to CWM to make a backup before I started this whole process (but after SystemUI.apk got borked), so now I'm in the process of restoring that and I'm going to grab the apk from the system dump posted on xda (what I should've done in the first place).

Oh no kidding.. did switching to a rear USB port really make the difference? That is awesome.. glad you got it settled :)

markboston

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

i try to run step six and i get an error message saying: failed (command write failed unknown error) for each command i type. any ideas?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
i try to run step six and i get an error message saying: failed (command write failed unknown error) for each command i type. any ideas?

Try it out skipping step 6, it's not a crucial command, only needed for your worst cases, lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

betaflash

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

Evberything went smoothly, but when I flashed the stock image I did get this:

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'

The image did successfully install, but I'm wondering if the above messages mean anything I should be aware of?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Evberything went smoothly, but when I flashed the stock image I did get this:

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'

The image did successfully install, but I'm wondering if the above messages mean anything I should be aware of?

Should not make a difference, everything work out regardless?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm good until this...

writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: (BadParameter))

Hmm.. Try this. Unzip that update zip file so you have just the underlying files separated out (system.img, boot.img, etc). Move them into the main folder you are using. Make sure you followed step 6 to erase everything manually. Now flash each file separately as in:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Enter
fastboot flash system system.img
Enter
And so forth..

See if it will let you proceed that way, let me know..

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

In case anyone is doing this lately.... I am aware that we are now on 4.1.1 (JRO03D) so technically I ought to revise the first link in the instructions and the command parts to reflect the proper filename.... which I will do later, lol... just a bit busy now and I only just noticed it.. just wanted to point that out. Should be pretty self-explanatory tho :)

jpa11

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

does this actually lock the device (bootloader?)
i have actually unlocked it using fastboot but because of the problem of implementing the program called clockwork.img.
looking for any help.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

does this actually lock the device (bootloader?)
i have actually unlocked it using fastboot but because of the problem of implementing the program called clockwork.img.
looking for any help.

are you trying to lock it back up?

if so, these directions will put you back to stock ... starting with erasing what you have on there currenctly, putting the stock factory image on the device, and then finally the the command towards the end "fastboot oem lock" is the one that locks the bootloader again.

feelinfroggy23

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Does this only give you the factory image and not re-lock your bootloader?? Pointless without re-locking bootloader right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Does this only give you the factory image and not re-lock your bootloader?? Pointless without re-locking bootloader right?

It restores you to factory condition, only step 9 relocks the bootloader - which is optional. Useful if you screw something up hacking/flashing/etc :)

Reactions: feelinfroggy23

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Updated direct link to the appropriate (4.1.1) factory image. Also gonna try to do some editing later.. Want to be less wordy and try and make this even easier to follow, lol... OCD is bugging out :)

feelinfroggy23

May 4, 2012
Visit site
What is this sdk stuff? I've never seen it before. Do i really need it? Your video confused the crap outta me but its not bad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress