[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7

Tried again skipping Step 6, but same result (hung at X). Before this most recent attempt, I would erase everything, including the system. I am sure that I am typing the commands right and it looks like everything is actually working until it tries to boot. Here is what I get after I flash the image (I am not including the time in brackets):

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: 3.34
Baseband Version....: N/A
Serial Number...........:xxxxxxxxxx (it actually has my number)
--------------------------------------------------------
checking product...OKAY
checking version-bootloader...OKAY
sending 'boot'...OKAY
writing 'boot'...OKAY
sending 'recovery' (5234 KB)...OKAY
writing 'recovery'...OKAY
sending 'system' (438656 KB)...OKAY
writing 'system'...OKAY
erasing 'userdata'...OKAY
erasing 'cache'...OKAY
rebooting...
finished. total time: 82.310s.

When this didn't work I tried using Wug's Toolkit again. I have to tell it that that the tablet won't turn on, otherwise it tries to use ADB, which is impossible given that I can't turn on USB debugging. It goes all of the way through the process and then says "Booting up your freshly flashed stock device..." It says to wait 5-10 minutes, etc. However, the X has now been up for the past 30 minutes again!

Have you tried the following:

(1) Ignoring all of the partition wipes featured in the guide. No reformatting, repartitioning. Try immediately locking and unlocking the device before you get to flashing.

(2) Then flashing the stock images.

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

2defmouze: Yep, I on Windows 7. I tried again to unplug it right away after flashing the stock image (got it unplugged after point of reboot) but it still hung at the X.

dmmarck: I just tried your suggestions but it hung on the X again. I didn't do any erasing/formatting since last attempt, then locked the bootloader, then unlocked it, then flashed the bootloader, then flashed the .zip. Everything goes totally smoothly until it tries to boot up. Last night I even tried discharging the battery completely and then leaving it overnight to recharge. Didn't do anything though.

Thanks again for all of your help and hopefully we can figure this one out. I just can't think of where the problem is. The next step might involve a cold Harpoon IPA and a hammer :)

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if it means anything, but I just rebooted the bootloader and then tried to get into recovery to see what would happen. Previously, I would get the android with the red triangle, but this time it is stuck on the google screen and not doing anything.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if it means anything, but I just rebooted the bootloader and then tried to get into recovery to see what would happen. Previously, I would get the android with the red triangle, but this time it is stuck on the google screen and not doing anything.

That happens if you try to boot to recovery from the bootloader without it being plugged into the computer.. its a bug with the bootloader.

After the full flash and still getting bootloops... I'd say try unzipping the main image zip (image-nakasi-jro03d.zip) and flashing JUST the system from the bootloader, i.e. only do:
Code:
fastboot flash system system.img

Earlier I had someone do a similar thing to get success, find that post too and maybe try flashing the individual pieces instead of the entire image.zip

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Just tried flashing only the system.img file but it did the same thing. I have tried flashing each individual file previously but it didn't make a difference...it still got stuck on the X. Same as previous tries, it seems like it should be working but it just never finishes booting up. I am not sure if something is messing up with the boot.img file or where the problem is it looks like it is sending and writing to the tablet just fine. Should I try a different ROM maybe?

Thanks again!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Just tried flashing only the system.img file but it did the same thing. I have tried flashing each individual file previously but it didn't make a difference...it still got stuck on the X. Same as previous tries, it seems like it should be working but it just never finishes booting up. I am not sure if something is messing up with the boot.img file or where the problem is it looks like it is sending and writing to the tablet just fine. Should I try a different ROM maybe?

Thanks again!

Yes. I would do that. Fresh download too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

bunanson

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

THANK YOU OP, you just saved my butt, OMG. Played with build.prop and the whole nexus7, only 1 hr in my possession boot into a blank screen. By following your guide, it is now working again..... THANK YOU! I will post more details later - dangerous to play with build.prop!

In using the program, winXP and 4.1.1, 1) see the error, archive does not contain... sig. 2) hung at writing system, wont go anywhere. Repeat the whole procedure, and this time include step 6, it went thru in less than 3 minutes! and now I am back to business. Thank you, 2defmouze.

bun

Last edited:

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Actually, I am not sure how to flash a different ROM through fastboot. Every time I try to flash a zip (e.g., paranoidandroid) I get an error saying that the archive does not contain android-info.txt and android-product.txt. Is it possible that it is a hardware issue?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Actually, I am not sure how to flash a different ROM through fastboot. Every time I try to flash a zip (e.g., paranoidandroid) I get an error saying that the archive does not contain android-info.txt and android-product.txt. Is it possible that it is a hardware issue?

No. Flash a recovery then flash the rom with that.

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

I guess I am not quite sure how to flash a rom with recovery when I can't push any files to the tablet. I did try to go through and flash the stock image and then install cwm to make a nandroid backup. However, when I was making the backup I got some errors regarding the sd memory, such as "no sd-ext found." Then, when I was restoring the backup, there were other errors regarding the SD partition. I am wondering if somehow the memory is shot. Seems strange, but at least then I would have a reason for continual failure :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I guess I am not quite sure how to flash a rom with recovery when I can't push any files to the tablet. I did try to go through and flash the stock image and then install cwm to make a nandroid backup. However, when I was making the backup I got some errors regarding the sd memory, such as "no sd-ext found." Then, when I was restoring the backup, there were other errors regarding the SD partition. I am wondering if somehow the memory is shot. Seems strange, but at least then I would have a reason for continual failure :)

Well.. this could be because you've already wiped out the sd partition when you were clearing in fastboot. When you did the command:
Code:
fastboot erase userdata

It erases the entire data partition, sd included, but this partition does not get rebuilt until the OS boots up and recognizes that its been erased. This is why booting up after a fastboot restore takes longer than normal.. in contrast, when you wipe data in recovery, not only is the sd partition not touched, but the wiped data partition gets rebuilt automatically, albeit with little more than meaningless 1's and 0's. That's all more info than you needed, but its useful to know :)

Anyway.. if from fastboot you can boot into CWM or TWRP recovery.. once in recovery try to adb push the ROM and gapps files to your phone using basic adb commands:
Code:
adb push nameoffile.zip /sdcard/

It may not work as the sd partition has been wiped and not rebuilt yet, as I said before, but its worth a shot. If it doesn't work the first time try maybe mounting the sd within your recovery, it might help.

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the information regarding the memory! I tried using cwm to mount the sd but it doesn't do anything (literally, when I press the button it doesn't do anything!). I tried pushing files to the /sdcard/ before but I don't think it is possible using ADB because I can't enable usb debugging due to not being able to boot. Would making my own partitions on the sd do anything? I am not even sure what that would do. It definitely recognizes the memory because it says how much free space there is available.

I also tried going through all of the steps again to return to stock and then booted into the bootloader after it hung on the X. I then tried flashing a ROM .zip file to see if it would do anything. It looked like it started to send and write information but it got hung up when sending the boot.img file so it never finished.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the information regarding the memory! I tried using cwm to mount the sd but it doesn't do anything (literally, when I press the button it doesn't do anything!). I tried pushing files to the /sdcard/ before but I don't think it is possible using ADB because I can't enable usb debugging due to not being able to boot. Would making my own partitions on the sd do anything? I am not even sure what that would do. It definitely recognizes the memory because it says how much free space there is available.

I also tried going through all of the steps again to return to stock and then booted into the bootloader after it hung on the X. I then tried flashing a ROM .zip file to see if it would do anything. It looked like it started to send and write information but it got hung up when sending the boot.img file so it never finished.

I don't believe you need USB debugging enabled to use adb via recovery. And no, you wouldn't be able to flash a ROM zip via fastboot, has to be done in recovery.

Hate to say it, but I'm thinking you might just have a case of hardware failure here.. given all you've tried and apparently been successful flashing the factory images, just seems like that's the only explanation. It wouldn't have happened because you unlocked/rooted, just an unhappy coincidence :(

By the way what originally happened to the device that made you need to restore the factory images? Not sure if you mentioned it before...

Anyways at this juncture I would consider just flashing everything stock again, locking the bootloader, and trying to get an exchange / warranty replacement. I'm pretty confident you should be able to do so without them giving you a hard time.

fenderjelly

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Yep, I am starting to think it is the hardware. The reason I was trying to restore it to the factory image in the first place is that when I turned it on the other day it started to boot loop. It worked perfectly well before that and I had it unlocked since the first day I got it (over a month ago). I just decided to turn it off one night before bed and then when I turned it back on my Nexus life was turned upside down :(

The only other explanations could be: (a) my wife got jealous and had her ipad attack my Nexus during the night while my Nexus was turned off and powerless, or (b) the tablet burned out due to my smoking words with friends skills :)

Yeah, I just wish that I got some type of error when flashing the stock image so at least I had a starting point to troubleshoot. It just seems like taking shots in the dark at this point. I really appreciate all of your help though and your guide is awesome.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Yep, I am starting to think it is the hardware. The reason I was trying to restore it to the factory image in the first place is that when I turned it on the other day it started to boot loop. It worked perfectly well before that and I had it unlocked since the first day I got it (over a month ago). I just decided to turn it off one night before bed and then when I turned it back on my Nexus life was turned upside down :(

The only other explanations could be: (a) my wife got jealous and had her ipad attack my Nexus during the night while my Nexus was turned off and powerless, or (b) the tablet burned out due to my smoking words with friends skills :)

Yeah, I just wish that I got some type of error when flashing the stock image so at least I had a starting point to troubleshoot. It just seems like taking shots in the dark at this point. I really appreciate all of your help though and your guide is awesome.

I hear ya.. The way it happened lends credit to it being a hardware issue too tho.. If it was running fine, you didn't tinker with anything, then all of a sudden it just won't turn on. Sucks but you tried all you could.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bunanson

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

Since I restored the Nexus7, it has been running superb. I wonder whether that has something to do with like 'flushing', or 'cleansing', recommend all new Nexus7 owner to go thru this process to optimize their nexus7 tablet. You know I am joking! I just cannot express to 2defmouze how desperate I was and how relax and happy I am. Got you a beer whenever you are in North Dakota, anytime, anyday! THANK YOU!

bun

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Since I restored the Nexus7, it has been running superb. I wonder whether that has something to do with like 'flushing', or 'cleansing', recommend all new Nexus7 owner to go thru this process to optimize their nexus7 tablet. You know I am joking! I just cannot express to 2defmouze how desperate I was and how relax and happy I am. Got you a beer whenever you are in North Dakota, anytime, anyday! THANK YOU!

bun

Lol good to hear and thanks man!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

bun

I suggest locking the bootloader/doing a full complete wipe every now and then because it eliminates any possible chance for remnant ghosts/demons/etc.

bunanson

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

I suggest locking the bootloader/doing a full complete wipe every now and then because it eliminates any possible chance for remnant ghosts/demons/etc.

I do this on a regular basis with micro$oft windoz. I intentionally partition the windoz into a C:\ and D:\, keep OS in C:\ and keep all else in D:\. and every now and then, I would format C:\ and reinstall windoz. I have been doing this for years. I know the last windoz XP update was 118. I just did it 4 days ago. I guess same logic to the bootloader, uh?
I just cannot stop praising 2defmouze for the restoration. I cant believe I broke a nexus7 in less than 60 min. My mom should be very proud of me :- o The other big booboo I made many years ago was "accidentally" formatted a HD full of stuff. See, if you dont pay attention, $hit happens. TIA,

bun

squaredude798

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

This just saved my ass.Had to flash back to stock and lock the bootloader as I have to return the device due to the speakers crapping out.

airb0rne

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Hi guys,
trying to flash the factory image
Code:
c:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img
sending 'bootloader' <2072KB> ...
FAILED <comand write failed <Unknown error>>
and started to have this message on tablet 'Neither USP nor CAC partitions found'

please help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz