[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

simplyky

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7

Looks like you're making progress... Try unzipping the main image file, and taking the parts which aren't flashing (boot and recovery are going in your second screenshot, but system and whatever comes after are not) and doing them manually, using:
Code:
fastboot flash system system.img
etc...

Sometimes just doing them one by one will get it going.

I've tried it and it only fails when flashing system and userdata. 3.jpg4.jpg

roy_nor

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

In my experience when the flashing of a .img file fails, it helps to:
-change USB port (try using a USB 2.0 port and not a USB 3.0 (blue color))
-plug the USB cable out/in again for each and every .img you're flashing to prevent your computer for putting the USB port to "sleep" (just check that it's properly connected by using the "fastboot devices" command after every time you plug it back in.
- try another computer (start all over again!) :p

nmbr1dolfan

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

the file is called "nakasi-jro03d-factory-e102ba72" and it cant be opened. I'll be back in an hour, any help would reatly be appreciated. i dont understand why im not getting a folder after extracting the TAR file.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

the file is called "nakasi-jro03d-factory-e102ba72" and it cant be opened. I'll be back in an hour, any help would reatly be appreciated. i dont understand why im not getting a folder after extracting the TAR file.

Is it a file or a folder? It should be a folder, and the contents are explained in the first few steps... Re-read them carefully if you haven't, and maybe try downloading the file again and starting over. Also please specify your OS and what you're using to extract.. details are important :)

nmbr1dolfan

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

Its just a file. Ive redownloaded it a few times and ive tried extracting it with bitzipper and 7-zip. Im using windows 7

nmbr1dolfan

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

i think ive got it. i had to extract it twice. Im having a little trouble trying to figure out what i have to do next. do i need to download a SKD?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

i think ive got it. i had to extract it twice. Im having a little trouble trying to figure out what i have to do next. do i need to download a SKD?

The files you need are available in the unlocking threads, as I noted. You should already have them if you unlocked it previously, unless you used something like Wugs Nexus toolkit.. In which case you can use that program to do the restore for you.

What exactly happened with your device that you need to do a factory image restore for?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nmbr1dolfan

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

I tried using a rom but it gets stuck at the start up screen. I used the nexus 7 root toolkit v1.5.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I tried using a rom but it gets stuck at the start up screen. I used the nexus 7 root toolkit v1.5.

I believe the toolkit can do the restore for you.. Just make sure you have the latest version of it (there is a thread maintained in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting sub forum).

If you made a backup before trying to flash the ROM (always make a backup) you can also just restore that by booting into recovery from fastboot mode.

Also I should ask what ROM you tried to flash, did you do a full data wipe before flashing, and are you sure you waited long enough to be certain it was stuck at the boot animation? A fresh flash can take 5 or even 10 minutes to boot, and if you didn't wipe data then that would be a problem as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nmbr1dolfan

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

the toolkit wont do it because the pc isnt reconizing the tablet since it wont start up. No back up. I cant actually get into recovery mode anymore, it stopped working. And i cant say what rom exactly because i dont have the rom manager up on my tablet. It was made by cyanogen i believe.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

the toolkit wont do it because the pc isnt reconizing the tablet since it wont start up. No back up. I cant actually get into recovery mode anymore, it stopped working. And i cant say what rom exactly because i dont have the rom manager up on my tablet. It was made by cyanogen i believe.

With the power off you only need to hold volume down plus power to boot into the bootloader (fastboot mode). From there, plug it into the computer and allow the toolkit to do its thing.

meihobo

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for a great tutorial.
I have not been successful using this sequence with my bricked Nexus 7.
All went well up to "formatting 'userdata' partition..."
I have included a screenshot herewith.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Andr-sdk fastboot method1.jpg

In case the attached screenshot didn't come through,
I have manually typed the cmd mode lines starting before the error occurred:

cmd issued: fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jro03d.zip
sending 'system' <438656 KB>...
OKAY [ 51.312s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 35.875s]
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 2.641s]
formatting 'userdata' partition...
Need size of filesystem
sending 'userdata' <0 KB>...
writing 'userdata'...
FAILED <remote: <BadParameter>>
finished. total time: 94.312s

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Links and instructions updated with the 4.1.2 (JZO54K) image :)

Happy fastbooting!

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for doing this guide. Sold my N7 on craigslist yesterday to get some $ to go towards a N10 in a few days, and this was a great, quick reminder for me and had all the links I needed. Saved me a lot of time, thanks 2def!

jackxl

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Thanks a lot for this guide 2defmouze,

I had Ubuntu installed. and wanted to go back to Android. and used your guide.

Then i got the error with sending system. after a quick google search i ended up back in the first page of this guide to read about a similar problem.

There i read the tip about switching USB ports.. (this reminded me of my notebooks USB3 port that always has issues.

so switching to a usb2 port fixed it for me..

Thanks for the guide!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks a lot for this guide 2defmouze,

I had Ubuntu installed. and wanted to go back to Android. and used your guide.

Then i got the error with sending system. after a quick google search i ended up back in the first page of this guide to read about a similar problem.

There i read the tip about switching USB ports.. (this reminded me of my notebooks USB3 port that always has issues.

so switching to a usb2 port fixed it for me..

Thanks for the guide!

Awesome.. I'll have to remember that as well, I know the problem has come up a few times for various people. Glad you got it all set! :)

kevinC1124

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site

Having a bit of an issue here. This morning I decided restore factory image on my nexus 7. It got to the stage of relocking the bootloader then it said it failed and went back to fastboot mode. I selected "start" and the tablet went to the google splash screen but the "start" button next to the power button is there. I sleected it but it keeps coming back. Basically I am stuck on the google splash screen and the root toolkit is telling me i have to enable debugging but i cant do that because i cant boot into android. A little help would be amazingly appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if im in the wrong forum...ive never had this kind of probelm before so i dont do this often...thanks again!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary