[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7

Having a bit of an issue here. This morning I decided restore factory image on my nexus 7. It got to the stage of relocking the bootloader then it said it failed and went back to fastboot mode. I selected "start" and the tablet went to the google splash screen but the "start" button next to the power button is there. I sleected it but it keeps coming back. Basically I am stuck on the google splash screen and the root toolkit is telling me i have to enable debugging but i cant do that because i cant boot into android. A little help would be amazingly appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if im in the wrong forum...ive never had this kind of probelm before so i dont do this often...thanks again!

Start again in fastboot / bootloader from the beginning.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LightFantstic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Huge, huge thanks for this thread, and links to zero neck's bootloader unlock thread. My Nexus 7 just wouldn't do an OTA to 4.1.2, would fail about 20% before Android falling on back with red triangle. Clearing Google Frameworks did nothing so this seemed the next/only resort. Never rooted an Android or messed about with bootloaders, but am PC/computer savvy and have flashed non-Adndroid phones in the past so your step-by-step instructions made it very easy. Each step completed successfully and I now have a successfully installed 4.1.2.

THANK YOU!!! :)

LightFantstic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to check something....

Whilst my factory image restore all worked just fine as my above post, I did see during the process a few messages that others have reported i.e.

archive does not contain boot.sig
archive does not contain recovery.sig
archive does not contain system.sig.

Is that something to note, or just a non-issue?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to check something....

Whilst my factory image restore all worked just fine as my above post, I did see during the process a few messages that others have reported i.e.

archive does not contain boot.sig
archive does not contain recovery.sig
archive does not contain system.sig.

Is that something to note, or just a non-issue?

Non issue :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Links and instructions updated with the 4.2 Factory Image. I've also included a direct link to the image for the GSM/HSPA+ Nexus 7, as it does not use the same one as the Wifi only Nexus 7.

davetv77

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Links and instructions updated with the 4.2 Factory Image. I've also included a direct link to the image for the GSM/HSPA+ Nexus 7, as it does not use the same one as the Wifi only Nexus 7.

When I try to open the file to extract the images it tells me error reading header after processing 0 entries. What do I do here? Thank you for your help.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

When I try to open the file to extract the images it tells me error reading header after processing 0 entries. What do I do here? Thank you for your help.

What program are you using to extract? On what operating system?

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

First time Android user. Got my Nexus 7 about a week ago and unlocked it and rooted it. It did start having some issues and I wanted to update so..."Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7" took me a while to figure out but it worked great and I was on 4.2 with a like factory new tablet except it is unlocked as you recommended for the final step. Thanks so much!!!!!!! If I see a place to donate I will.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

First time Android user. Got my Nexus 7 about a week ago and unlocked it and rooted it. It did start having some issues and I wanted to update so..."Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7" took me a while to figure out but it worked great and I was on 4.2 with a like factory new tablet except it is unlocked as you recommended for the final step. Thanks so much!!!!!!! If I see a place to donate I will.

Haha just glad you got what you needed :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I am using WinZip and I am on Windows 8. Is the file format a tar file?

Yeah.. Redownload it to make sure you didn't just get a bad download. Then try using winrar to extract it rather than winzip. 7zip is another recommended program.

davetv77

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Yeah.. Redownload it to make sure you didn't just get a bad download. Then try using winrar to extract it rather than winzip. 7zip is another recommended program.

Thant worked . Thank you. You are the best. Love all your work and support.

davetv77

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

When I extracted my image file all I got was nakasi-jop40c-factory-6aabb391 I didn't get the other files bootloader-grouper-4.13.img
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
flash-all.bat
image-nakasi-jop40c.zip
What did I do wrong. I downloaded them like 4 times and checked the MD5 checksum.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

When I extracted my image file all I got was nakasi-jop40c-factory-6aabb391 I didn't get the other files bootloader-grouper-4.13.img
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
flash-all.bat
image-nakasi-jop40c.zip
What did I do wrong. I downloaded them like 4 times and checked the MD5 checksum.

That is really odd.. No idea why you aren't seeing the bootloader.img. I just double-checked mine and re-extracted to make sure it's in there and it definitely is. Anyway I stuck it in my dropbox so you can grab it here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/bootloader-grouper-4.13.img

Just drop it in with the other files and follow along with the guide from there I suppose.

davetv77

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

That is really odd.. No idea why you aren't seeing the bootloader.img. I just double-checked mine and re-extracted to make sure it's in there and it definitely is. Anyway I stuck it in my dropbox so you can grab it here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/bootloader-grouper-4.13.img

Just drop it in with the other files and follow along with the guide from there I suppose.

Do I need the other files that are there
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
flash-all.bat
image-nakasi-jop40c.zip
or is the bootloader enough. Thank you for your help.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Do I need the other files that are there
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
flash-all.bat
image-nakasi-jop40c.zip
or is the bootloader enough. Thank you for your help.

Yes, keep them all together, just follow the instructions in the guide, all the files need to be located with your fastboot file when you begin the process :)

davetv77

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Yes, keep them all together, just follow the instructions in the guide, all the files need to be located with your fastboot file when you begin the process :)

When I unzipped the file I never got those files. All I got was nakasi-jop40c-factory-6aabb391. It wasn't a folder with these files in it

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

When I unzipped the file I never got those files. All I got was nakasi-jop40c-factory-6aabb391. It wasn't a folder with these files in it

Oh.. something is wrong then. Sounds like you just aren't extracting correctly. The .tgz image you downloaded should be unzipped, resulting in a folder containing all those files. What is the resultant file you are winding up with?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc