[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

davetv77

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7

Oh.. something is wrong then. Sounds like you just aren't extracting correctly. The .tgz image you downloaded should be unzipped, resulting in a folder containing all those files. What is the resultant file you are winding up with?

nakasi-jop40c-factory-6aabb391.tar Then when I unzip it I get nakasi-jop40c-factory-6aabb391 with no file extention

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

nakasi-jop40c-factory-6aabb391.tar Then when I unzip it I get nakasi-jop40c-factory-6aabb391 with no file extention

And you're sure this isn't a folder/directory you can open? What does the system tell you it is if you right-click it and select properties?

I'm going to upload all the extracted files to my dropbox for you to download, might take a few minutes.. will post back here when it's complete..

davetv77

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

And you're sure this isn't a folder/directory you can open? What does the system tell you it is if you right-click it and select properties?

I'm going to upload all the extracted files to my dropbox for you to download, might take a few minutes.. will post back here when it's complete..

I got it working. I just opened the file with WinRAR and extracted it there and it gave me the folders with all the files. Thank you again. I appreciate all your help.

r3nrut

Aug 10, 2009
r3nrut.com

Mine kept failing at erasing user data...

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: 4.13
Baseband Version.....: N/A
Serial Number........: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.040s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.023s]
sending 'boot' (4942 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.602s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 1.242s]
sending 'recovery' (5444 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.662s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.992s]
sending 'system' (477136 KB)...
OKAY [ 55.924s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 35.445s]
erasing 'userdata'...

I ctrl+c'd out and rebooted the system. Had the Nexus symbol come up and the device looped once before entering "safe mode" and allowing me to get into the setup. Weird.

Anyone have problems with Fastboot seeming to hang when performing any of the write or erase operations?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Mine kept failing at erasing user data...

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
Bootloader Version...: 4.13
Baseband Version.....: N/A
Serial Number........: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.040s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.023s]
sending 'boot' (4942 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.602s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 1.242s]
sending 'recovery' (5444 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.662s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.992s]
sending 'system' (477136 KB)...
OKAY [ 55.924s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 35.445s]
erasing 'userdata'...

I ctrl+c'd out and rebooted the system. Had the Nexus symbol come up and the device looped once before entering "safe mode" and allowing me to get into the setup. Weird.

Anyone have problems with Fastboot seeming to hang when performing any of the write or erase operations?

Should be fine tho. You can manually erase it with
fastboot erase userdata
And it shouldn't matter if that part of the factory image actually gets sent.. The OS builds it automatically when you boot up if it detects it is empty (or at least it should).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Pedro Montejo

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Bro! I love you man. I don't know how I messed up the recovery process but I basically got it stuck at the black screen with the Google logo. Almost pulled my hair trying to figure it out until I found this post. Thanks man. I can now return my phone.

darwinism14

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Greetings anyone, newbie here

sbtpnm.jpg

this is my problem, there is no way I can unlock bootloader, the start is horribly looped (yes, I installed the correct driver so my Win7 64bit recognize my Nexus 7)

I used Nexus Toolkit 1.5.5 and everything possible, for several hours, yet no result. Help please!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Greetings anyone, newbie here

http://i50.tinypic.com/sbtpnm.jpg

this is my problem, there is no way I can unlock bootloader, the start is horribly looped (yes, I installed the correct driver so my Win7 64bit recognize my Nexus 7)

I used Nexus Toolkit 1.5.5 and everything possible, for several hours, yet no result. Help please!

That's why we don't have toolkits, do it manually following Zeros unlock guide and the video :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
yes.... it says - USB DEBUGING FIRST!!!!

To unlock the bootloader you only need your fastboot drivers setup on your computer. You don't need to have booted the phone up at all, let alone enable usb debugging. Believe me I have 3 Nexus devices, lol.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? A factory image restore or just unlocking/rooting?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Nagen1

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
awesome bro.... it really worked for me.. a great appriciations from me. you solved my age old problem
I tried tools like , nexus tool kit, wug, nexus root kit nothing worked out and you solved my problem with simple 10 steps... kudos...

thanks a lot...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Regards
Nagen :D

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
And I am back in business. Same day unlocked, rooted, tried to install an Urdu (Arabic script based) font ant lost the GUI. Now back to factory image and restoring apps. Thanks a lot for the guide, it was a 15 minutes work actually :p.
Edit: though it didn't let me reboot the bootloader in last 2 3 steps to again lock it. Simple started the system, so I let it this way.

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's not working for me, it freezes up in the middle of commands. But I think that is my computer's fault, cause it's so slow. I'll hop by the town library and do the magic over there, but this is what I've been looking for for a week. Question. Is it possible to save custom images and bootloaders from a running tablet, and then use those when you (mainly me. :) ) screw it all up?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's not working for me, it freezes up in the middle of commands. But I think that is my computer's fault, cause it's so slow. I'll hop by the town library and do the magic over there, but this is what I've been looking for for a week. Question. Is it possible to save custom images and bootloaders from a running tablet, and then use those when you (mainly me. :) ) screw it all up?

Try using a different USB port, preferably one in the back of the machine if available. No to the 2nd question.

:)

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Try using a different USB port, preferably one in the back of the machine if available. :)
It only has the single usb port on the back... That's how old this laptop is...... hehe.. :) I'm headed to the library now. I'll post about what happens there. :) Oh, and thanks for all the help, 2def!