[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

soviet_ric

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Factory Image Restore for your Nexus 7

thanks for this tutorial,
but.. i have question for the step "active usb debugging" .. in my nexus 7 is bootloop never gone to android just can be access fastboot mode...i tried many tutorial for to get factory default but always be failed... maybe, is cause not active usb debugging...

How to active usb debugging in Fastboot mode?? <---- if i can active usb debg. i also can unlock bootloader and can to format and flash data to my nexus 7..
thank you for attention.. thank you :)

NaChotiQ

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think words can even describe how thankful I am for this post, I actually thought I had well and truely bricked my Tablet.

After A LOT of messing around and going through this step by step tutorial I finally got it to work, My Nexus7 (which is less than a fortnight old) is now unrooted & locked never to be messed with again, if it ain't broke I ain't going to try to be clever!

Thanks again!

jplinebaugh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Every time I try to download the link it is saving the file as a .tar not a .tgz. So all I end up with is a file that window doesn't even know what to open with.

birchii

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone help me?!?!

I want to reset my rooted nexus 7 to factory image. Right now I am trying to set up adb and fast boot but I cannot check if it is working ( I used this guide: How To Set Up Android ADB & Fastboot On Windows [Tutorial] | Redmond Pie). My issue is that I cannot enable usb debugging, I am running 4.2.1 and i tapped the build number 7 times to display developer options, but when i go to click in developer options it crashes with the notification "settings has stopped working", this also happens when I click on back-up and restore. After having set up adb and fast boot I opened the command prompt window to see if my computer could see my nexus 7 and it cannot - so I am going to go ahead and assume usb debugging is not enabled...is there any work around for this, I am completely stuck!

UPDATE: all good, watched the video tutorial and restored it, all is ok. I I had read the whole thread I would have realised you do not need usb debugging

Last edited:

Viking Chem

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Help! For some reason I can't get past step 8! Also it's very laggy and when I tried it the first three times on step 8 it said ERROR:Out of memory. Then the one time it did work it said something about failed. Here's the log for it.

C:\android-adb>fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jop40d.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
getvar:version-bootloader FAILED (command write failed (No such device or addres
s))
finished. total time: 0.078s

this happend the one time it did get past the archive does not contain system without saying ERROR: out of memory.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Help! For some reason I can't get past step 8! Also it's very laggy and when I tried it the first three times on step 8 it said ERROR:Out of memory. Then the one time it did work it said something about failed. Here's the log for it.

C:\android-adb>fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jop40d.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
getvar:version-bootloader FAILED (command write failed (No such device or addres
s))
finished. total time: 0.078s

this happend the one time it did get past the archive does not contain system without saying ERROR: out of memory.

Are you trying to flash the correct version, you don't have the 3g Nexus 7 and are trying to flash the wifi only factory image?

If that's not the case.. Try reinstalling the drivers and switching usb ports, try to use a rear one. What system are you using?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Viking Chem

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
EDIT2:Wow. I just kept doing the fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jop40d.zip step life 6 times after following wug toolbox iinstructions. and it worked! Horray! Thank you so much! And now I actually know what a ADB and FASTBOOT are. :p

Last edited:

n99hockey

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont know what is going on. I was using the Nexus7 Toolkit to try to flash back to stock Google Image (4.2.1) and that is when it all went wrong. Flashing from the toolkit failed, and now the device will not boot at all. I get the START button and says boot failed. So I tried to follow the steps here manually and I get the image below.

I can get to fastboot, I am in the bootloader screen on the device, I can not get to Recovery Mode though. I tried different USB cables, flashing files individually, flashing per the guide in this thread and nothing.

My device is completly non-functional right now.

Please help!!!

Attachments

• cmd1.jpg
    cmd1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 13

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I dont know what is going on. I was using the Nexus7 Toolkit to try to flash back to stock Google Image (4.2.1) and that is when it all went wrong. Flashing from the toolkit failed, and now the device will not boot at all. I get the START button and says boot failed. So I tried to follow the steps here manually and I get the image below.

I can get to fastboot, I am in the bootloader screen on the device, I can not get to Recovery Mode though. I tried different USB cables, flashing files individually, flashing per the guide in this thread and nothing.

My device is completly non-functional right now.

Please help!!!

Reinstall drivers, use a different usb port, switch cables, etc.

Also for what reason did you need to do the restore?

Peter Kruczek

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it normal that it's sending 'system' <477136 Kb>.... for more than half an hour?
Until now everything was smooth and easy, but somehow it stucked on this.

Doing it on -> Macbook Pro -> Mac OsX 10.8 -> Parallels Desktop 7 -> Windows 7 Ultimate

Thank You in advance. Good and kind people always appreciated.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is it normal that it's sending 'system' <477136 Kb>.... for more than half an hour?
Until now everything was smooth and easy, but somehow it stucked on this.

Doing it on -> Macbook Pro -> Mac OsX 10.8 -> Parallels Desktop 7 -> Windows 7 Ultimate

Thank You in advance. Good and kind people always appreciated.

No it should only take maybe a few minutes at most... How'd that work out?

fede01_8

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
i'm stuck in that part too for like an hour :(

aj35tqlhb

EDIT (FIXED!): After hours and hours, sweat and cursing and looking all over the internet and downloading 87 different toolkits (lol), i've found the solution. I just followed this guide wich basically has the same steps but updated to the latest firmware (the files names in your guide are outdated for the 4.2.2 version). And is easier to follow.
I hope you don't mind if i post the link. It could help other users with the same problem

[GUIDE] Flashing a Factory Image with fastboot / return to stock - xda-developers

Greetings from Argentina

Last edited:

bjkempston

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I followed the guide ok and everything seemed to go smoothly but then it reboots and get stuck on "Select W--Fi" and with no way of getting past here. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

Sorted now :)

Last edited:

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
This was an awesome tutorial - worked like a charm. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Windows 7 to see the Nexus in boot loader mode. I had to do this on my Mac and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34