[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

mervin661

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
you saved me lot;s of money. my nexus 7 went out for a week and i followed these steps from 5am till noon and finally at noon it worked thanks to you.

carmelo199

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I got how to do it but I could not open or uncompress the file once downloaded, I have 7 zip but didn't really know what to do. My nexus 7 doesn't even go into bootloader any more it goes to the android with a red triangle on it, I hard reset no help. I have had my nexus 7 for maybe 3 months, I have rooted it and unlocked, used it as rom game emulator, but when I tried to change the system font with a google app it went into bootloader and never booted past google logo (X) screen, so I erased everything to factory reset and I think I unrooted it, but its unlocked and now when I go into bootloader it show the android on its back with a red triangle on it. It will now not boot past google screen. I tried to download factory image and everything but my nexus is stuck on waiting for device with toolkits. Please help im lost.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I got how to do it but I could not open or uncompress the file once downloaded, I have 7 zip but didn't really know what to do. My nexus 7 doesn't even go into bootloader any more it goes to the android with a red triangle on it, I hard reset no help. I have had my nexus 7 for maybe 3 months, I have rooted it and unlocked, used it as rom game emulator, but when I tried to change the system font with a google app it went into bootloader and never booted past google logo (X) screen, so I erased everything to factory reset and I think I unrooted it, but its unlocked and now when I go into bootloader it show the android on its back with a red triangle on it. It will now not boot past google screen. I tried to download factory image and everything but my nexus is stuck on waiting for device with toolkits. Please help im lost.

You're accessing bootloader wrong.. I forget if you need to hold volume down and power or both volumes and power, been a while since I've toyed with it, but whichever you are doing try the other combination.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sammyexperia

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone I need a help!

I originally tried to update my Nexus7 3G(unlocked) from 4.2.1-to 4.2.2 through nexus 7Toolkit but it's failed now I'm stuck in fastboot mode and doesn't boot. so I tried this method to recover I followed instruction but at radio-tilapia-1231_0.17.0_1025.img got error it doesn't flash in command prompt that I'm stuck there. anybody help me out ? Please!!!

cC:\android-sdk>cd platform-tools

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot erase boot
erasing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.017s]
finished. total time: 0.019s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot erase cache
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.083s]
finished. total time: 0.085s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot erase recovery
erasing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.018s]
finished. total time: 0.020s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot erase system
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 0.108s]
finished. total time: 0.111s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools> fastboot erase userdata
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [ 4.885s]
finished. total time: 4.888s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-tilapia-4.18.
img
sending 'bootloader' (2096 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.275s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [ 1.212s]
finished. total time: 1.491s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot reboot-bootloader
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.020s]
finished. total time: 0.022s

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash radio radio-tilapia-1231_0.17.0_102
5.img
error: cannot load 'radio-tilapia-1231_0.17.0_1025.img': No error

C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>

Last edited:

nestedrana

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi

i am new to android...i bought google nexus last night from a friend...everything was working fine...then i did factory reset to wipe down all the data and settings....
after when it reboots it comes to google screen and after selecting country stuck at SEARCHING WIFI...here i can see the wifi icon is disable...
i was looking for the solution and spent most of the night but could not find any....i can not turn the usb debuggin mode on as it can not complete the setup....i tried bootloader recovery thing...but the screen displays following information

Fastboot mode
product name grouper
bootloader version 3.34
baseband version n/a
signing not define yet
hw version er 3
locked state locked

volume key does not do anything nor the power button..it just stuck....ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME TO SORT THIS OUT...MUCH APPRICIATED
REGARDS

jplinebaugh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but am I in the wrong forum or did I ask the wrong question? I have tried multiple times to download the factory images with no luck. When I try from PC its a .tar tried from nex7 its a .tar. This is not critical, I am perfectly happy running aokp but I'd like to be able to go back to stock if I felt so inclined. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

TheRealSiOram77

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

First post on here, and I would like some advice. I received the 4.2.2 OTA update last week. 2 things are very annoying with it, battery life on my Nexus 7 wifi is now awful, can be at 100% first thing and by 3pm it is down to 33% just by having it on and checking email and web browsing occasionally. Also, and this is my major gripe, is that Sky Go is no longer compatible, and Sky have told me they don't know when they will start work on it! (I know this isn't Google/Androids fault, but I used Sky Go all the time.

My question is this, I can't find the factory image for 4.2.1, only the image for 4.1.2. Is there a 4.2.1 image or will 4.1.2 be ok to use for this tutorial?

I'm off work today, and hoping to get this done!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Simon

carmelo199

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
ok I made a mistake I got into bootloader but its recovery mode that was problematic

- - - Updated - - -

ok I made a mistake I got into bootloader but its recovery mode that was problematic

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

First post on here, and I would like some advice. I received the 4.2.2 OTA update last week. 2 things are very annoying with it, battery life on my Nexus 7 wifi is now awful, can be at 100% first thing and by 3pm it is down to 33% just by having it on and checking email and web browsing occasionally. Also, and this is my major gripe, is that Sky Go is no longer compatible, and Sky have told me they don't know when they will start work on it! (I know this isn't Google/Androids fault, but I used Sky Go all the time.

My question is this, I can't find the factory image for 4.2.1, only the image for 4.1.2. Is there a 4.2.1 image or will 4.1.2 be ok to use for this tutorial?

I'm off work today, and hoping to get this done!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Simon

It would work fine.

Sorry guys I see there are some other questions and posts I never got notified of here. Any lingering issues just explain clearly and I'll address sometime today.

simonoram

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It worked great, was very wary of doing it to begin with, but think I learnt a lot by doing so!

Is there anyway to stop the notification for the update? It pops up every hour or so now, and until the Sky Go app is compatible I don't want to upgrade.

Thanks

Simon

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It worked great, was very wary of doing it to begin with, but think I learnt a lot by doing so!

Is there anyway to stop the notification for the update? It pops up every hour or so now, and until the Sky Go app is compatible I don't want to upgrade.

Thanks

Simon

I believe there is a way but I don't know it.. If you are able to find it out please come back and share :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I can't get my device to do literally ANYTHING, it won't show the Google logo and won't let me get into recovery. Any help?

You'll need to elaborate.. Are you using the correct button combinations? Power off completely then boot into the bootloader and go from there.

What caused the original problem that required you to do a factory image restore?

same here! u found a fix yet ?

As I only own a wifi N7 I can only speculate... I would keep trying, maybe reinstall the drivers and switch USB ports and cords...

Branflake

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks god I found this thread! After a custom ROM install went wrong, I tried to get it back to stock by following this thread. However it kept stalling at copying system.img on my Mac, even when copying the files one by one.

Tried it on an old Win XP machine and same problem, also when using the Wug tool. Finally after 3 hours of sweating I got it working copying over the 4 .img files individually on the XP machine.

Thanks for a great thread and forum. And I may even try installing the custom ROM again in the future once I do more research (I did actually have it working, just somehow it couldn't access the SD card).

jamsh

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Spent an evening trying to resurrect my 3g tablet using this guide and went to bed (late) with it still bricked. This morning I remembered the tip on this thread, to try a different USB socket, and decided to go one further and borrowed my girlfriends laptop - worked perfectly first time!! Just thought I would throw this in as It might help a fellow sufferer!
BIG, BIG THANKS.

jplinebaugh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I go to the google website to download the factory image. I click on the link and when I do so it saves the file as nakasi-jzo54k-factory-973f190e.tar, not nakasi-jzo54k-factory-973f190e.tgz. I've tried it on my pc, my nexus 7, and my HTC. Everyone of them saves it the same way. My computer doesn't even know what to do with a .tar file. If you need more info just let me know and I'll answer if I can. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez