[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 that only boots in bootloader mode and from there won't do anything. Trying to boot gets the message "booting failed".
I tried installing the factory 4.3 but 'checking version-bootloader failed' version is 4.18 update requires 4.23. So I tried installing factory 4.18 which worked but the tablet still only boots in bootloader and nothing works there except the "booting failed" message.
This machine was on Rootbox 4.2 version one successfully but version 2 started system files crashing so I decided to go stock. Using Wug's toolkit although I appreciate the fastboot commands you have assembled.

Naman Vasal

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, need help. I am trying to restore the factory image of my N7 but the image write fails, I've tried to do the cmd thing but it doesn't seem to work. Is there any other way to flash the factory image????
The present condition is that my tablet boots into bootloader and then to recovery but there ain't no OS.
I read somewhere that a guy mounted a Usb via OTG through the recovery and then flashed the factory image. Should I try it? Will it work???
:'(

sharkxelectronics

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
it all started after I left my tablet on standby for a week and I finally returned try to turn it on but id didn't do crap so I went and charge it it didn't light up the icon of charging so I went and press the 3 buttons reset and so the icon so let it charge all night on the morning I try to turn it on and it got stock on google logo screen not even the X logo screen. so I try the recovery but it never got to recovery everything send me to the google logo... after many searches and reading I decided to unlocked the boot loader and then install the factory image... reason why I'm here, everything went smooth, till the part where is writing userdata it gets me the following FAILED (remote: (FileWriteFailed))

and thats it.... can anyone help me on this please?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

thanks!

Last edited:

GedBlake

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
it all started after I left my tablet on standby for a week and I finally returned try to turn it on but id didn't do crap so I went and charge it it didn't light up the icon of charging so I went and press the 3 buttons reset and so the icon so let it charge all night on the morning I try to turn it on and it got stock on google logo screen not even the X logo screen. so I try the recovery but it never got to recovery everything send me to the google logo... after many searches and reading I decided to unlocked the boot loader and then install the factory image... reason why I'm here, everything went smooth, till the part where is writing userdata it gets me the following FAILED (remote: (FileWriteFailed))

and thats it.... can anyone help me on this please?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

thanks!

Hi, sharkxelectronics...

Never heard of this problem occurring with userdata before... if it fails anywhere, it's usually with system.

Try disconnecting your Nexus 7 from your computer and reconnecting it to a different USB port... reboot the bootloader and try again.

Rgrds,
Ged.

sharkxelectronics

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, sharkxelectronics...

Never heard of this problem occurring with userdata before... if it fails anywhere, it's usually with system.

Try disconnecting your Nexus 7 from your computer and reconnecting it to a different USB port... reboot the bootloader and try again.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Thanks for the reply and I have try it with 2 diferent computers on diferent usb ports and still the same thing... any other input?

Ered_3

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
***solved***

Can someone point me in the right direction? I cant get my computer to recognize my nexus. When i enter the prompt to flash the bootloader it just says waiting for device and nothing happens. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

Last edited:

moates4

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Mac user here. Every time i try to update my bootloader, it says it updated successfully when i flash it but when i reboot my bootloader, It is still on version 4.13. so i am not able to restore a factory image. Is there anyone else that has had this issue? what am i missing? I would just restore an older factory image if possible but i am not able to find one that is compatible with the 4.13 bootloader.

edit: flashing an older factory image worked. weird. but i got where i wanted to go.

Last edited:

Br1t7s

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I am in desperate help to restore my N7. My device is stuck on the coloured x screen, I have tried on multiple computers but they wont pick up my device... I have a mac I can use but i cant download wug onto the mac.

Can anyone help me, I would be so appreciative!

lgreer84

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I got to the point of flashing the factory image but when I do, fastboot crashes and I get an error message. Can't seem to get fastboot to stay up during this step.

Chris4711

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey there!
I have the Nexus 7 (2012) WiFi and a big problem! After updating to KitKat, I got a bootloop. :-(
I followed this guide to make a complete reset. Everything went good! I also used the brand new image from today (image-nakasi-krt16s). I did everything exactly like described here but still have the bootloop. After step 10 (fastboot reboot), it rebooted, showed the white Google, the 4 circles came, after a few seconds, the N7 rebooted again and is booting now for a long time. What else can I try?
I hope, that someone can help me!

UPDATE: I made several more runs of this guide. Now it works again. What I did/changed: I used a different usb-cable and plugged it directly into my PC. Maybe that was the reason, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Konrad Aderer

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
After my Google Nexus 7 has stayed stuck on the "X" screen I've been trying to use Google nexus 7 toolkit 5.0.0 to install the factory image. Haven't succeeded yet. There's a question and an issue that I haven't found answers to that may or may not be part of the problem.

1. I haven't been able to find information that tells me just what the hell factory image I should be installing. I see the list available on the toolkit. I've seen this list. Seems it should be one of these: 4.1.2 (JZO54K) 4.2.2 (JDQ39) 4.3 (JWR66Y) 4.4 (KRT16S)
It's a refurbished wifi, on the box is what seems to be the model: TB-AS-NEXUS732S
in the bootloader there's this info: product name: grouper, variant: grouper, hw version: ER3, bootloader version: 4.23
I see warnings in various places that you can damage or brick your nexus if you install the wrong image, but no information on how to make sure this doesn't happen. If I'd have known a Nexus 7 could just spontaneously stop working, I would have made a note of the android build number before it happened, but I didn't.

2. I've gone to step 9 to flash the image about a dozen times, and EVERY time I get the message,

"checksum of the image you want to flash: [xxxxx...]
checksum of the image should be: [xyxyx....]
the checksum of the image does not match the checksum of the Toolkit database."
Could the image have gotten corrupted every time? Also, I've done a search on the google images page and not a single time has the "should be" checksum matched ANY of the checksums listed for the factory images. That doesn't seem to make any sense.

Also, I've tried just using the fastboot recovery mode to wipe/restore, and I'm still stuck on "X".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

iLeoable

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I just unbricked my tablet after rooting it and updating it to 4.4 lol!

Masticor

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi I updated my Nexus 7 2013 32gb LTE to 4.4.
I would like to flash it back to 4.3.

When I try to flash it with the Nexus Root Toolkit v.1.7.9 from WugFresh I get the following message.

flashmini.png

Apperently my Bootloader is Version 4.01 and to new!?

I read that I could try to set the tool to force the flash and ignore the warnings. I am unsure if that is a good Idea. Could somebody please help me? Either with a better method to get it back to 4.3 or with a way to flash it with the NRT.

Thanks in advance.

Konrad Aderer

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
so anyway, I didn't get an answer to my last post on trying to use Google nexus 7 toolkit 5.0.0 to fix my "stuck on X" problem. I tried several times for hours to flash a factory image, but that program and the scant information I could find on it left me at a dead end. Eventually I found this program: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.9. It has a user interface and clear instructions, highly recommend it. Had to uninstall the former program and clear out the drivers, which the Root Toolkit also had a great task window for. And I was amazed that all my programs were restored! Not sure why that happened, perhaps they were backed up through Google somehow. I did several factory wipes which didn't fix the problem, so I was sure I'd lost everything.

rXa

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
please help, i think i've softbricked my nexus 7 2012 when i tried to update from 4.3 to 4.4
and now i think my os is completely erased, but i still can enter fastboot mode
i tried to flash stock rom but it always stuck on "sending system" whether it is via fastboot command or Nexus Root Toolkit
changing usb port or another pc doesn't seem to help
is there something i'm missing here?
plese help..

(i'm sorry for bad english)

jaymcgill

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
These instructions saved my daughter's christmas. We bought 2 Nexus 7's, refurbished, and as soon as hers updated it bricked. I found these instructions and within 30 minutes she was back playing with her new tablet. Thank you!!!!!!

skampflens

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
my nexus 7 (2013) is completely bricked...

been following this guide, and it gets stuck on the fastboot erase part..when erasing , nothing happens, so i tried and skip that step and instead move forward with
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img --> FAILEd bootloader is locked
fastboot oem lock --> bootloader is alrdy locked
fastboot oem unlock --> Unlock bootloader? Yes. Device freezes and nothing happens. waited like 40min and nothing happend.

flash-all.bat just gives me error messages saying the bootloader is locked..

anyone who wanna try and help me step by step?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol