[GUIDE] Nexus 7 - Factory Image Restore

Julian Melling

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Help!!! Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie and am looking for some support on a Nexus 7 2012. I did the OTA for 4.4 and then started having the boot loop issues. I followed the online guide etc to re-flashing, and upgraded to 4.4.2 (using the dodgy 4.23 bootloader image from google, now used the better version). Everything was fine for a few weeks, I then started to have reboot problems again (it usually happened with the Independent Newspaper app).

I then tried to reflash using Rootkit, Android Toolkit, manually using SDK etc to no avail.

Currently the problems are (device boots and is unlocked):
- Cannot delete apps
- Cannot factory reset using any method
- Reflash, go through all the steps - makes no difference
- Cannot relock

It is as if a previous reflash was written to a partition, and the new flashes I'm doing are going to another partition that is not booted (at this point I don't know what I'm talking about).

I've tried using different USB etc.

Any ideas out there??

Thanks, Julian

Jona1969

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Please help.

I am stuck trying to install factory images back on my Nexus 7 (2013 wifi)

the message I am getting is:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E: failed to open last_install: Invalid argument
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:Cant open /tmp/update.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted

I'm trying to sideload using a Mac and the image's are :image-razorg-kot49h.zip

SysVR

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
hellow
help.

my nexus 7 erasing userdata partition stuck.

C:\afi>fastboot oem unlock
<bootloader>Erasing userdata.....
*stuck erase*

Last edited:

Chris Hom

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I see alot of people lately having issues with the nexus lineups not updating correctly. Many times it displays errors such as "cannot open boot.img" etc. Generally speaking I have found this to be problematic, but have found a solution and since while browsing these forums gave me the answer, I thought I would relay it for anyone that has the same issue.

It seems that in the new update packages android is giving out, the update is failing when trying to open the .zip that comes pre-packaged. In this zip you will find the following files generally: Userdata.img, boot.img, system.img, cache.img, recovery.img.

If your included "flash-all" script is failing at this point, fear not.

1) Run the flash-all and let it write the radio and bootloader (generally these are unproblematic).
2) Extract the files from the zip archive and just place them next to the rest of them.
3) Open a command prompt in that folder where you extracted your .img files to and manually input the flashing commands.
  • fastboot flash boot boot.img
  • fastboot flash cache cache.img
  • fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  • fastboot flash system system.img
  • fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

3* Or what you can do is open up your trusty notepad, and copy and paste this in:

ECHO OFF
timeout /t 15
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
exit

Save that as Flash.bat in your folder with all the unziped .imgs, and then double click on it and it should run and flash everything for you automatically as long as it is in the same folder as your .img files.

Note: Credit to 2defmouze for coming up with the simple solution back in 2012

Chris Hom

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
You have to unlock the bootloader. If you have the adb drivers installed system wide great. Just type in, in command prompt:
fastboot oem unlock

Now for this to work, you need to have the drivers installed on your computer for the device, have the necessary adb and fastboot commands either in the folder, or installed system wide, and you need to have debugging mode turned on. This process *last i checked* wiped all my data and apps so backup before.

Mateo Verax

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
THANKS SO MUCH!!! Great tutorial. In addition I used this "How to install ADB and Fastboot on Windows for use with Android [Guide]"
to get the fastboot files I needed instead of waiting for the large and slow download of the entire android studio . I also found that other url I posted to have a quick link to the image I needed for my specific device. But guess what I used the latest android version instead of my old one and it worked great. Your tutorial was a diamond in the rough, and like finding a needle in a haystack , but well worth it because it proved to be the oasis, my glass of water in the desert. I found that Although I followed your steps my tab decided to reboot on it's own after that final step of installing the new / factory image. Also as a side note I downloaded the usb drivers for my device directly from Asus website and if anyone wants to know which nexus 7 they have like I did, the 2013 has a camera on the back, all else is 2012. I am pleased to announce that my 2012 nexus 7 16gb is running the latest lollipop 5.0.2 beautifully. And also to anyone else out there that went through something with this tablet, I had to fix the graphical error on my own, physically. I had a graphic problem with the tablet detecting multiple touches everywhere when I wasn't even touching, also it went green instead of true color. It seemed to be something I could physically effect though by slightly bending or putting pressure on the back. I opened it up, removed the copper thin metal strip over what I assume is the video card or cpu. And the relief of that metal strip off the back seemed to fix the color issue, I put a strip off double sided sticky "spongy" tape on the unit that I believed to be the source of the graphics problems and put the copper flap back over that but not in it's original form, slightly bent. It seemed that metal flap will still effect the graphics if I move it around but with the tape in place and it slightly bent, then putting the cover back on everything works fine. I know that sounds crazy just opening it up and bending crap and applying tape but it worked. No more graphic problems. Well that's just my share if someone like me stumbles upon this. Thanks again for that great walk-through and saving me from throwing away this "soft brick". And to think I found this thing on a bus! lol I tried to return it to owner but they didn't want it. Probably because of the problems it had..well that was last year and now it's better than new

litesport

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok, stupid me appears to have bricked my 2012 Nexus 7 wifi.
When I turn on my machine I get a black screen with a green arrow top right pointing to the power button, when I press this i get tiny writing saying booting failed.
I was trying to downgrade from lollipop to JB using the tools from wugfresh.
Anyway, it didn't work, so I tried to follow another threads instructions which I now cannot find. It involved running flash-all.sh in terminal.
My nexus is unlocked and I can get to boot loader. i have access to both mac and pc.
What can I do, please help.

p.s. I know I screwed up, me bad. I'm was trying to learn and follow guides that I thought would work

khayfer1

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
So very lost, it is pathetic. I am using a Mac and I cannot get past step #6 instead this is what I get:
android khayfer$ ./fastboot-mac flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
-bash: ./fastboot-mac: No such file or directory
I have the files in the same folder where my fastboot and adb files are located.
Background:My nexus started doing the dancing circles and would never load, sent it a couple of times to Asus, it would work for a few weeks then again just restart and do the dancing circles. My warranty is now expired so I am trying to fix it before I give up on it. I never did connect it before to a computer, so I don't know if the debug was activated or not.
In Recovery mode I get No command.
Is there any way to fix this? should I just give up on it?
Thanks in advance!

imtiaz vohra

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi really useful instructions. I got as far as bootloader img stage on command prompt and it came up with an error FAILEd stuus read fialed too many links. I have attached a link
Welcome any suggestionserror nexus.png

pfossi

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
My nexus 7 will not go to the bootlog page when I hold the vol down and power buttons. Instead it goes to the google logo and then goes to the robot that is standing up with a globe rotating in his stomac. This means I can't do step 4. How do I get around this?

Zeleia

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I tried to downgrade my Lollipop 5.1.0 Nexus 7 to 4.4.4, however, I think I've downloaded and flashed the wrong factory image. I'm re-downloading the right one, however, is there anything I have to do, or should I just reflash the correct factory image?
The cmd only displayed that my tablet is [grouper] therefore it couldn't be done.

Thank you very much,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty