*** CONNECTING TO Adhoc WiFi WITH THE NEXUS 7 ***

rdelfin

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have one of those phones that have the ability to work as WiFi hotspot (adhoc), but as you all know, Android does not let us connect to any adhoc hotspot out of the box, you have to first root and unlock your tablet (which I've successfully done), and then do some tweaking.

Problem is that all the different 'wpa_supplicant' files that I have tried in my several attempts don't seem to do the trick with the Nexus 7 (since they were tweaked for devices prior to this new tablet) and I was wondering if any of you guys has managed to have the Nexus 7 be able to sniff and connect to an adhoc wifi hotspot (i.e. the nexus 7 accessing the Internet using the 3G connection of your phone). If you can direct me to any webpage that specifically describes the procedure for the Nexus 7, I would be extremely grateful.

In advance, MANY thanks for any insight you can provide.

Reactions: thenuma

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are only trying to tether your tablet to the phone. Doesn't require any hacks on the tablet, only setting up the phone hotspot, which does need hacking if you're trying to do it for free. Once that's done you just connect you're tablet to it like a wifi network.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

rdelfin

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you are only trying to tether your tablet to the phone. Doesn't require any hacks on the tablet, only setting up the phone hotspot, which does need hacking if you're trying to do it for free. Once that's done you just connect you're tablet to it like a wifi network.
Um.. No. I have an unlocked phone and I have a data plan, and the phone came with this hotspot function that allows me to connect my laptop to the internet and use my phone as the "modem" (a mobile hotspot device).

You said that I don't need to tweak anything in the Nexus 7 to be able to do just what I describe above... How are you certain? have you done it already? Have you seen this being done? You are aware that the Android OS does not support connecting to an adhoc wifi connection, right? (or correct me if I'm wrong and I beg of you to direct me to the page that describes this or let me know how you managed to connect your nexus 7 tablet to your phone and get to the net through it).

Many Thanks! ;)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Um.. No. I have an unlocked phone and I have a data plan, and the phone came with this hotspot function that allows me to connect my laptop to the internet and use my phone as the "modem" (a mobile hotspot device).

You said that I don't need to tweak anything in the Nexus 7 to be able to do just what I describe above... How are you certain? have you done it already? Have you seen this being done? You are aware that the Android OS does not support connecting to an adhoc wifi connection, right? (or correct me if I'm wrong and I beg of you to direct me to the page that describes this or let me know how you managed to connect your nexus 7 tablet to your phone and get to the net through it).

Many Thanks! ;)

Unless I am misunderstanding you..... You are trying to use your phone as a mobile wifi hotspot, as you have stated. You do not need any hacks on the tablet in order to use the hotspot feature from your phone. As you said, you use it to connect your laptop to the internet, its the same principal. The phone broadcasts a wifi network which you connect to with your laptop, or in this case, your tablet.

I used my phone (galaxy nexus) as a hotspot just today to activate my tablet when I received it, so yes, I have done this, lol. I activated hotspot function on my phone, it broadcasted a network (I believe called "androidap" by default), I set a passcode for the network, then on the Nexus 7 I selected that wifi network and entered the passcode. It was as simple as that.

Again, if I'm misunderstanding you then try and clarify and I'll try and help further.
:)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me that your nexus phone is broadcasting a regular wifi signal, whereas my Nokia N9 broadcasts Adhoc wifi signal, which does require Android devices to be modified in order to be able to grab such signals.

Please read carefully the explanation here and let me know if this finally explains to you what I've been failing to explain. Android Simplicity: How-To #35: Connecting To Adhoc Networks on Android Tablets/Phones

Yes it seems this is a more complicated situation. I just spent a few minutes skimming the link you provided and Googling some information on my own, and while it seems it should be possible, unfortunately it's beyond my expertise right now, and its late for me to start learning it tonight, lol. I did see a lot of information in my preliminary searching, so perhaps you will be able to find what you need for this specific request with some research if no one else on this forum is able to assist. Hope you are able to get it worked out.

EDIT: Even a quick search of the Play Store for "adhoc" brings up a number of apps that could be useful for configuring your tablet as you need it. While I can't recommend anything specifically, you might be able to find something by reading the info and the reviews and combining that with the research you do on the subject.

Miffo

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the issue I had while on holiday with a friend. I had a Nokia phone (5800) with a WiFi hot spot. He could use it from his iPhone or iPad but I couldn't use it from my Android Archos 5! Luckily it supported bluetooth tethering to the phone - poor old Nokia had a hard time. I don't seem to have the same issue now I'm using an Android phone running CM 7.1 - must be creating a different kind of WiFi network. Sounds like you got to the bottom of it anyway.

rdelfin

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Even a quick search of the Play Store for "adhoc" brings up a number of apps that could be useful for configuring your tablet as you need it. While I can't recommend anything specifically, you might be able to find something by reading the info and the reviews and combining that with the research you do on the subject.
Trust me, if I decided to post here, is because I have exhausted all the suggestions that you saw in your quick research with google (as I said, the several versions of the wpa_supplicant file out there don't work with this new specific tablet. Also, what you saw in the playstore are apps to make your tablet be the one that shares its connection (tablets with 3G/4G antennas), which is not the case of the nexus 7.

I hope one of the experts around these forums might come up with a tested procedure to do this... a Nexus 7 tablet that can only connect on coffeshops or places with traditional wifi hotspots feels like a handicapped tablet to me. :'(

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Trust me, if I decided to post here, is because I have exhausted all the suggestions that you saw in your quick research with google (as I said, the several versions of the wpa_supplicant file out there don't work with this new specific tablet. Also, what you saw in the playstore are apps to make your tablet be the one that shares its connection (tablets with 3G/4G antennas), which is not the case of the nexus 7.

I hope one of the experts around these forums might come up with a tested procedure to do this... a Nexus 7 tablet that can only connect on coffeshops or places with traditional wifi hotspots feels like a handicapped tablet to me. :'(

Have you tried a forum with Nokia folks? I had no idea there was even a difference until you described it.

Unfortunately, the sheer majority of the users here will have only the "traditional" setup, so for us, that's really the extent of our expertise. There might be one or two here with experience in this field (it's MeeGo, right?), but I would suggest focusing your search from that perspective.

Reactions: 2defmouze

mesmerize_99

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have to join in;
I think there are hundreds of us with this problem. Well, everyone with a Nokia phone. I just don't think people search or post questions using the word 'Ad hoc' and it was only by chance that I thought it best to search for that in google. As of such, I find your post that really does explain the same issue I am having.
"The Nexus 7 is limited to only connecting to non ad hoc wifi signals. "

We need an app, solution or hack that allows the wifi settings to search for wifi signals that are classed as ad hoc (a few people call them device wifi's, as effectively, they show up as devices on some computers).

As the majority of Nokia users, use Joikuspot, it might be a case of asking the team at Joikuspot.

Alternatively, I am not aware of a way to connect the Nokia via bluetooth tethering to the Nexus 7, either. Does anyone have any instructions for that slower, but temporary solution?

It's left me feeling lost and a little frustrated.
I promise, that if I find a solution, I will post it here. Can I ask that everyone else with this problem, does the same. Thanks.

thenuma

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I had to downgrade my phone to a gingerbread so the phone would tether with 'infrastructure' mode hotspot instead of adhoc only. The nexus 7 is infrastructure wifi only at this point. hopefully someone will find a wgasupplicant file that fixes it.

0LBaID

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Brand new 7 and first time android user. Liking it so far and enjoying tinkering with it. I thought i would add my experience. My Iphone 4 JB/Unlocked 4.3.2(just recently moved to straight talk) and PDAnet WiFi Hotspot work fine. It actually turns the 7 into a really nice GPS (got the holder someone mentioned here or XDA for the car). Not trying to waste anyones time as i am very familiar with Adhoc and networking in general and it might not help anyone limited to only Adhoc network creation via their mobile device, but it is an option on the Iphone and working for me. I think PDAnet has also reworked the network stack for its latest.

nexususer0101

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 7 and first time Android user and also need to get access to ad-hoc networks. I had no idea that Android can only connect to infrastructure WiFi networks. I have a Nokia/Symbian phone and it creates ad-hoc hotspots using the Joikuspot app; Nokia phones are incapable of making infrastructure hotspots, so I'm limited to using ad-hoc. I've heard about the wpa supplicant file, etc, but is there any solution out there that is known to work on Nexus 7, or Jellybean? Thanks in advance.

checkmatemcs

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a big misunderstanding here. This has nothing to do with the device that is being used for the internet connection - such as OP's Nokia, an iPhone, Nexus, whatever.

It is clear from the previous posts that the Nexus broadcasts its network connection as an Access Point/in Infrastructure Mode much like any router that you have at home. However, the type of network that we need it to connect to is an Ad-Hoc/Computer-to-Computer/Device-to-Device network. Therefore, the discussion has more to do with the capabilities of the N7 than it does with anything else...hence OP's post. Seemingly, you cannot use an N7 with stock settings to connect to an Ad-Hoc network. Can anyone speak to whether or not a workaround exists?

Why would we want to do this?
For those of us who are iPhone users (but N7 tablet users) who have not opted to jailbreak, the only option is to allow tethering is to install an app that circumvents the system - a la handy light or iProxy. These applications require that you create an Ad-Hoc network between the N7/Computer/Laptop and your iPhone so that you can tether. Then through editing connection settings in the browser, you can route the traffic from the N7 through your internet-connected device by using the device as a proxy.

Last edited:

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, can't seem to get a wifi tether from my HTC Rezound to my Nexus 7 to work. I've tried several programs for wifi tether to no avail.

I have been able to get file sharing from my Rezounds ext_sd to my Nexus 7. With both on my home wifi network, I can use X-Plore or another root file manager to get them to see each other.

But once away from wifi I need to have internet access.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Rezound, rooted, CleanROM 1.7, Amon Ra custom recovery, VZW network. Nexus 7, rooted, stock ROM and Recovery.

Edit: Found this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1540707&highlight=wifi+tether that allowed me to set up my Rezound with infrastructure. Probably this won't work for Nokia, just thought I'd put it out here (and couple of other places) for people to find.

Last edited:

rdelfin

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a forum with Nokia folks? ... There might be one or two here with experience in this field (it's MeeGo, right?), but I would suggest focusing your search from that perspective.
This is not an issue with the MeeGo platform, nor with the manufacturer Nokia. The issue is Android not allowing (by design) connections to adhoc WiFi out of the box (as usual, I suspect the phone companies have something to do with this). For a better explanation, I refer you to the post above shared by CheckMateMCS where he expresses exactly what I would just end up repeating.

My sister's Non-Nokia and Non-Meego iPad by Apple is able to connect seamlessly to my Nokia's adhoc hotspot. My brother's non-nokia and non-meego wifi device is able to connect seamlessly to my Nokia's adhoc hotspot. Me not being able to connect is not a bug, is by design on the Nexus 7 / Android side, and me posting in the Meego/Nokia forums would not yield the results that I think would be more effective in AndroidCentral.

Which brings me to ask once again if anyone has found a wpa_supplicant file, or a procedure that allows the Nexus 7 to connect to adhoc wifi??

:-!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This is not an issue with the MeeGo platform, nor with the manufacturer Nokia. The issue is Android not allowing (by design) connections to adhoc WiFi out of the box (as usual, I suspect the phone companies have something to do with this). For a better explanation, I refer you to the post above shared by CheckMateMCS where he expresses exactly what I would just end up repeating.

My sister's Non-Nokia and Non-Meego iPad by Apple is able to connect seamlessly to my Nokia's adhoc hotspot. My brother's non-nokia and non-meego wifi device is able to connect seamlessly to my Nokia's adhoc hotspot. Me not being able to connect is not a bug, is by design on the Nexus 7 / Android side, and me posting in the Meego/Nokia forums would not yield the results that I think would be more effective in AndroidCentral.

Which brings me to ask once again if anyone has found a wpa_supplicant file, or a procedure that allows the Nexus 7 to connect to adhoc wifi??

:-!

I didn't necessarily mean that it's a problem with those platforms, but rather that you might be better served in trying to find a solution by searching from that perspective, that's all.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Between the "moderators" and the "advisers" there is truly inaccurate info here. I have dealt with this issue many times on other devices and like you summized the key is to correctly modify the wpasupplicant file. Your best bet is to head over to XDA where there are some truly knowledgeable people that can help.

The info you seek will be here Nexus 7 - WiFi Ad-Hoc fix for wpa_supplicant? - xda-developers once these young lads figure things out

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Between the "moderators" and the "advisers" there is truly inaccurate info here. I have dealt with this issue many times on other devices and like you summized the key is to correctly modify the wgasupplicant file. Your best bet is to head over to XDA where there are some truly knowledgeable people that can help.

The info you seek will be here Nexus 7 - WiFi Ad-Hoc fix for wpa_supplicant? - xda-developers once these young lads figure things out

I did not mean to mislead, but to simply give the user other search options.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance