Unlocking and rooting doesn't get any easier then this!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll say what at least some people are thinking.

Just be careful. These tool kits are great if you know how to do it all manually too.

I'm also not a fan of doing things with a command line if I don't need to. Don't get my wrong command line is great but GUI's got invented for a reason, because they are easier. Doing things the hard way seems silly to me.

I'm not knocking the toolkits at all. I've used WUGs and this one on several occasions before. More often than not I've had them both work fine but on more than one occasion they both failed for me and I had to fall back to doing things manually.

Easier isn't always better.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Toolkits are great if you're in a pinch or just starting out. However, I'm a big proponent of learning what goes on, why it's going on, and how to do that manually.

LukasPodolski

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I followed ragnarokx's video to unlock and root earlier today. Is that clockwork mod recovery the custom recovery you're talking about?

If so, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would need to flags stock recovery to gain access to an ota upgrade? Will flashing this stock recovery also unroot my device for warranty purposes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I followed ragnarokx's video to unlock and root earlier today. Is that clockwork mod recovery the custom recovery you're talking about?

If so, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would need to flags stock recovery to gain access to an ota upgrade? Will flashing this stock recovery also unroot my device for warranty purposes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Your phone won't install the stock OTA unless it has the stock recovery installed.

I don't think putting stock recovery back will unroot you but when you take the OTA update that will break root anyway so it doesn't matter.

If you want to preserve root just wait a bit after the OTA hits...someone always comes out with a stock, rooted version you can flash in a custom recovery.

my two cents

Reactions: 2defmouze

LukasPodolski

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
If you want to preserve root just wait a bit after the OTA hits...someone always comes out with a stock, rooted version you can flash in a custom recovery.

my two cents

Oh ok, but you're saying that I could flash the stock recovery and take the ota update to break root? If for instance I need to RMA my device for a factory defect? Is there an easier/more direct way to unroot?

Sent from my Nexus 7

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh ok, but you're saying that I could flash the stock recovery and take the ota update to break root? If for instance I need to RMA my device for a factory defect? Is there an easier/more direct way to unroot?

Sent from my Nexus 7

If you need to send it back id use the restore images. Those will take you completely back to stock. That's why Nexus devices are awesome. We have that option and it's pretty easy.

WUGs toolkit has all these options but there is value in doing it manually so you understand the process.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LukasPodolski

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok that pretty much answers it. Thanks so much! That's what I did when I rooted, and part of the reason I did it that way was to learn.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173