1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unresponsive screen. NEED to wipe info!

I dropped my Nexus 7 and cracked the screen. It still works fine EXCEPT touch function. Anyone that has tried to do an ASUS button actuated reset sequence knows that it doesn't work. I still have USB access. I have ZERO rooting experience but I have downloaded Wugfresh root tool kit. It requires enabling USB debugging. I can't do that as I obviously can't navigate to that area. All I want to do is wipe my info. Is there any other way to root the device or wipe it before selling it. I have it on ebay right now and would like to get it clear before shipping. Again, the factory wipe procedure does NOT work. I did a lot of searching and it seems nobody out there has gotten it to work. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Joe

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Unresponsive screen. NEED to wipe info!

Download the fastboot files from Zero Neck's unlocking thread (probably available in ragarok's as well).

Reboot into the bootloader (power down, power up holding volume down). Plug in and open a command prompt in the folder with the fastboot files. Simply unlock and relock the device. You don't need usb debugging enabled nor the touch screen to work. This will completely wipe it.

Depending on your system the unlocking command will vary slightly, but check those unlocking threads I mentioned to figure out exactly what you need to do. It will have the form:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Though might be fastboot-windows or fastboot-mac or ./fastboot-mac, again, depending on your system...
    Again, afterwards just lock it with the same command going
    fastboot oem lock

EDIT: You might even be able to simply do
    Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    From the bootloader menu, although I'm not sure if you need to be unlocked already for that to work. But you can try that first and see.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It worked! Wiped it clean and it's now ready to sell. Thank you!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
    I dropped my Nexus 7 and cracked the screen. It still works fine EXCEPT touch function. Anyone that has tried to do an ASUS button actuated reset sequence knows that it doesn't work. I still have USB access. I have ZERO rooting experience but I have downloaded Wugfresh root tool kit. It requires enabling USB debugging. I can't do that as I obviously can't navigate to that area. All I want to do is wipe my info. Is there any other way to root the device or wipe it before selling it. I have it on ebay right now and would like to get it clear before shipping. Again, the factory wipe procedure does NOT work. I did a lot of searching and it seems nobody out there has gotten it to work. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Joe
    Are you not able to return the device to get a new one? If you bought it the manufacturer's warranty should cover you getting a new one. I would at least call them to verify. Sell me the new one on the cheap LOL.

How do I download the files and open a command prompt on my computer?