External storage

wvcadle

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone come up with a solution to get external storage to work with the N7... other than a wireless external HD?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming they sell USB drives that will plug into the port on the N7?

They who? you can get usb flash drives, sd drives and even 500GB-1TB portable usb drives from all over. Get usb OTG adapter if needed and plug one in.

Lots of threads on this.

uxaar

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I bought a female to female USB adapter and I used a stock cable to connect a USB stick to my n7 but my file explorer doesn't see the USB stick.
I am rooted and unlocked and have the stick mount app installed.

I don't even know if this solution actually works as a replacement for an actual otg cable.
Can someone explain if this works or not ?
Thank you.

swieder

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I bought a female to female USB adapter and I used a stock cable to connect a USB stick to my n7 but my file explorer doesn't see the USB stick.
I am rooted and unlocked and have the stick mount app installed.

I don't even know if this solution actually works as a replacement for an actual otg cable.
Can someone explain if this works or not ?
Thank you.

Did you install the application Stick Mount? This is required.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ianamac56

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Apparently you need to modify the standard male/female USB adaptor if you don't have a proper "OTG Cable". There are quite a few sites that show you how to do this - This one seems like a good place to start [GUIDE]How to make otg cable with external power connector - xda-developers or this one How to: Make your own USB OTG cable for an Android smartphone - Tech2.in.com
Note that as the above article says "Phones don’t need to be rooted as the stock ROM usually supports OTG in compatible handsets. Those who have installed third-party developer ROMs should check with the developers if the OTG feature is enabled in the kernel".
I'm going to try this in the next few days and will come back and let you know how I get on.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have an OTG cable with USB/Micro SD card. Looking to see if anyone has created a straight micro usb drive. Can't seem to find any though Google search. Possibly using the wrong terms. Micro usb flash drive just brings up what I have. A full USB + converter.

I don't use stickmount. I just plug it into my N7 and it will say a preparing USB storage device and show up under system/usbdisk and I gave it full permissions. Copy and pasted a file from my N7 onto the usb disk and worked fine. Opens the file fine too.

I haven't tried running any games off the drive yet. It's a bit more complicated and haven't read up on it all yet.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have an OTG cable with USB/Micro SD card. Looking to see if anyone has created a straight micro usb drive. Can't seem to find any though Google search. Possibly using the wrong terms. Micro usb flash drive just brings up what I have. A full USB + converter.

On my. International Galaxy S3, I use my OTG cable (a few $$ from amazon) with several USB thumb drives. All the time. I store music, photos, wallpaper, icons, etc,. As well as online Chinese classes (mostly pdfs and podcasts). And documents for viewing, editing, and creating from scratch in Chinese, French, Hebrew, and Russian. (I. E. Lots of different character sets, dictionaries, etc) I also store my library of fonts on a USB drive and move onto my phone any font I need to use. I've never tried to run a program from a USB thumb drive because I don't expect it to work because I'm using Jellybean.

Since I don't understand what your question means, I don't know whether any of this answers your question.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci