Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Problems with Microsoft Exchange email on Nexus 7

Hi there,

Trying to set up my Exchange email account through the native nexus 7 email app.

The details I've entered (domain/user; password; server; SSL settings and port) all match my Outlook Exchange settings.

Despite this, the application raises an error message stating "Couldn't finish: Couldn't open connection to server."

My internet connection is on and I'm able to browse the web as usual through Chrome.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to solve?

Thank you!

Tom

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Maverick

Default Re: Problems with Microsoft Exchange email on Nexus 7

I have my work's Exchange account set up and did so the same way you described and it's worked flawlessly. Does it work for you on any other devices?

I didn't have any trouble getting my N7 to connect either.

I can get it to work in the email app as well as going to webmail, etc. SORRY

Quote Originally Posted by tomhowells View Post
    Hi there,

Trying to set up my Exchange email account through the native nexus 7 email app.

The details I've entered (domain/user; password; server; SSL settings and port) all match my Outlook Exchange settings.

Despite this, the application raises an error message stating "Couldn't finish: Couldn't open connection to server."

My internet connection is on and I'm able to browse the web as usual through Chrome.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to solve?

Thank you!

Tom
    I am having the exact same problem. No issues with my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or my Samsung Galaxy S3. The Nexus 7 works with Enhanced Email but not with native client. I'm getting the same error "Couldn't finish: Couldn't open connection to server." Any ideas?

I'm having erratic sync problems with my corporate e-mail account using the native Nexus 7 e-mail app connected to an Exchange server. I had no problems at all with this same corporate e-mail account when using Android 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 for several months, but have had problems since I upgraded to Android 4.2 about a week ago. The symptoms are as follows:
    1) The Nexus 7 promptly RECEIVES all e-mail sent to the exchange server. Check frequency under Sync options is set to Automatic (Push).
    2) All e-mail SENT from Nexus 7 promptly syncs to the exchange server and other devices connected to it (my Windows 7 laptop running Outlook 2010, Galaxy S3 phone running Android 4.0.4).
    3) Any items DELETED or MOVED to folders on other devices connected to the exchange server promptly sync and show up on the Nexus 7.
    4) Items DELETED or MOVED to folders on the Nexus 7 DO NOT promptly show up on Exchange Server and other devices connected to it. Ive done a bunch of tests over the past two hours and none of changes initiated on the Nexus 7 have yet shown up on the Exchange server. I handled a lot of e-mail on my Nexus 7 while waiting in a line on Black Friday between 6am and 7am and those changes had NOT shown up by Friday evening at 9pm (14 hours later). However, they did update sometime on Friday night or during the day on Saturday. Not sure whether tests I did several hours ago will every sync or not.
    4) Periodically get a message "couldn't open connection to server" on Nexus 7. Often shows up in notifications tray, but will go away fairly soon and connection to server works.
    6) No problems with syncing in both directions for Exchange server calendar and contacts. Tests making additions, changes and deletions using the Nexus 7 apps default apps for Calendar and People promptly go through to server and changes on other devices sync to Nexus 7.
    7) No problems syncing e-mail, people, and calendar from Nexus 7 to Gmail account in either direction.
    In summary, the only sync problems are for corporate Exchange e-mail when deleting e-mail and moving e-mail from the in-box to folders on the Nexus 7. The problems started shortly after I upgraded from Android 4.1.2 to Android 4.2. Very frustrating and a huge waste of my time.

I am having similar issues. I was setting up my work Nexus and spent almost an hour on the phone with our IT people and nothing worked. Literally 30 minutes later, for NO apparent reason, all of my emails synced. I had NO problem for a month. Then over this past weekend, I had a Jellybean update. My email still worked fine. I was in a meeting all morning yesterday, was sending and receiving emails and my battery died. I plugged it back in, and when it turned on, I got the whole security error (forgot the exact quote but it wouldn't log in). I tried restarting again since it had JUST been working 20 min before, and nothing. So I deleted the account and re-did it all, same info and everything, and now it's stuck at "Waiting for sync." Why?? WHY?!? I can log into my webaccess on the Nexus tablet's Chrome without a problem....
    Thanked by:

Everything working fine today. I didn't make any changes to the e-mail account, so stuff that wasn't syncing two days ago is now doing it within a minute. After I verified things were working OK, I decided to update to Android 4.2.1 and then deleted or filed about ten e-mail messages on the Nexus 7. Everything synced correctly in less than a minute. Also, verified that changes made on other devices connected to the Exchange server promptly synced to the Nexus 7. Glad it's working but still frustrated about spending over three hours on this issue over the past week. Making me question my decision to go with Nexus 7 tablet and Galaxy S3 phone vs. iPad and iPhone 5.

Hi Billy,
    Please let me know what you have done differently.
    From the time I bought my Nexus 7, almost a week a go until today I tried to set it up but no luck so far. I have received message like Couldn't finish: Couldn't open connection to server."

I set up my Hotmail on the program it works fine. I set up my exchange with my IPhone and IPad without any problem too.

I set up my exchange email with touchdown trial version and it works fine. But would like to have my email on the android email system as it looks much simple.

Please help. Thank you.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,433 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomhowells View Post

I don't know if this is a typo, but the proper syntax is domain\user (must be a backslash, not a forward slash).

I am also Nexus7 user and having difficult to access my Exchange. Finally I found way. This may be not right way but at lease you can check your mailbox on exchange with Nexus7.

Exchange Server setting (mine is version 2003)
    1. I turned off "Enable Forms Based Authentication". (Administrative Groups -> First Administrative -> Servers -> ServerXX -> Protocol -> HTTP -> Exchange Virtual Server)
    Go to Properties of "Exchange" site at IIS (mine is IIS6) and go to Directory Security tab
    Authentication Methods
    - used Integrated Windows authentication
    - Basic authentication (Default domain: \ ) "\" in box
    Secure Communications
    - unchecked Require secure channel (SSL)

Nexus7 Email Setting
    Incoming Setting at Mobile (Android Jellybean 4.1.2)
    Domain\username: MyDomain\name (e.g. Contoso\Bob)
    Password: ***
    Server: server01.yourdomain.com
    Checked: Use secure connection (SSL)
    Checked: Accept all SSL Certificates
    Client certificate : None
    Port: 443

============ That's all ============ Good Luck for Nexus7 users, but you need Exchange Server Administrator's help.
    Last edited by wplay12; 01-17-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Hi

i was having this problem too, waiting for email to sync on exchange and to appear.

My solution to the problem was to make sure that activesync on the nexus was on(which in my case it wasnt) this is under settings/data usage and then top right under the time the 3 dots, touch that and you get a sub menu which shows Auto-sync data, once this is ticked you may get a message asking for permission for exchange to control some aspects of the nexus. Then success all my exchange mail is now on my nexus.

Hope that this is help to those who are still stuck with " mail should be available soon"

regards
    Thanked by 5:
    jswMN and rpg71 like this.

Thumbs up Re: Problems with Microsoft Exchange email on Nexus 7

After stumbling around for a day and a half on this same issue - I found this forum and TOPHIES solution did the trick for me.
    THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by jswMN; 02-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Great help...thanks so much! I would have never found that....cheers!

Thanks a ton..
    This worked for me!!
    Searched in so many other forums - without any use..
    So glad that you came with this solution.
    Thanks again
    CvK

Thank you so much! ! I was looking for the solution for several weeks. Cheers Christopher

You Rock, nearly frisbeed my nexus out the window trying to reconnect to exchange. Your fix worked perfectly. Why on earth isn't this bit of wisdom on general release?
    Our IT wizz was totally stumped!

Thanks, TOPHIES!!! After trying to figure this thing out for hours and reading several blogs, your simple solution worked. You just made my day!

I'm still having problem with nexus 4
    TOPHIES, trick didn't work
    Still getting "Couldn't open connection to server" when account setting.
    I know setting is not wrong because I can use the same setting on 4.1.2 or older no problem.
    Also, co-worker using same 4.2.2 has no problem setting up and getting emails on his Samsung Note 1.
    so it's just Nexus 4?.....
    Last edited by importpsycho; 05-03-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Sorry to hear your having problems, not having a nexus 4 I not sure if there are small differences between the settings on the 7 and the 4. I found a link with some screenshots that might help you out. Hope that helps you

Setting Up Your Android With Microsoft Exchange 2010 | Knowledge Center | Rackspace Hosting

Nope, still doesn't work for me. I enter everything correctly but still get "couldn't open connection to server." I had no issues setting up any other of my devices (be they IOS or Android), but the Nexus 7 will not connect. Does my IT dept need to do something with the Mobile Device ID itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Mugs View Post
    Nope, still doesn't work for me. I enter everything correctly but still get "couldn't open connection to server." I had no issues setting up any other of my devices (be they IOS or Android), but the Nexus 7 will not connect. Does my IT dept need to do something with the Mobile Device ID itself?
    Are you trying to connect through an SSL port (443)? If you also don't connect with SSL then in the setup of the email you should change the port to 80and uncheck the accept all SSL certificates. Hope that helps

one other thing it might be worth doing the following as well just to clear cache

go to settings,apps. mail app. force stop,clear cache,clear data,imput

hopefully e-mail and passwords will all work fine after this is done

Angry Re: Problems with Microsoft Exchange email on Nexus 7

yes, it's auto set to 443. I've tried pretty much any and every other iteration/combination possible all to no avail.
    Have cleared the cache.
    Have rebooted.
    Have tried adding the account via both "corporate" and "email" (manual).
    Have done what 'Tophies' suggested.
    Have tried with/without backslashes, dots/no dots, caps/no caps, checking/unchecking secure connection, etc.
    Have even had our IT guy check it, but still nada.

It CAN'T be this hard if my other devices had no problem. Sigh.

holy crap. I'M IN! Here's what I did (wasn't about to give up!):

Checked box 443 AND accept ALL certificates. IT guy said "only check box 443."

Changed ONE letter to caps in my company's name. IT guy said "caps not necessary."

Typed entire string: Companyname\firstlast (with caps, no dots--again IT said not necessary!) and voila - ACCESS GRANTED.

Will have to have a chat with said IT guy Monday. Thanks for letting me rant...happy camper now...all systems go.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Mugs View Post
    holy crap. I'M IN!
    Great glad to hear your all sorted

Unhappy Re: Problems with Microsoft Exchange email on Nexus 7

Recently i Purchased the Google Nexus-4 i am facing same problem
    "couldn't open connection to server" while Configuring my Exchange Email Account I tried a lot and frustrate
    kindly help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast