Give rooted N7 to parents?

mensaphone

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So I'm debating on whether not it's a good idea to give a n7 to my dad already rooted. I'm mostly concerned about future ota updates. 1) having him to to install stock recovery 2) he lives in another country, and so future aid is problematic 3) he has limited bandwidth.

Any thoughts?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If there is no reason he needs/wants it rooted, just flash the stock images and lock it :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

donaldjl

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked at OTA Rootkeeper? Supposed to keep a rooted device rooted in spite of OTA updates. I'm running it on mine, but there hasn't been an upgrade yet that I know of since I rooted mine, so I can't be sure how effective it is. Something to think about, though.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes you need stock recovery to receive OTAs. It is easy to simply flash the stock recovery after you're done rooting. Then you may use the rootkeeper app suggested before to hang on to root when an OTA comes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's the debate... Of whether I want to subject him to all that

You can take care of it yourself so he doesn't need to. The OTA rootkeeper app you can install. Stock recovery you flash via fastboot. You can find it in the factory images (check my Factory restore guide), and its just a simple fastboot command to flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery nameofstockrecoveryfile.img

That simple :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy