Have you Rooted,if not Why?

eduuu87

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm a new android users so I have couple questions.
I've got my Nexus 7 for like about 4 months now, very happy with it, either gaming browsing chatting or reading.
When I got the Nexus for the first time I've rooted it, but then I found that the Google Play Store has way less apps than before I rooted my devices. So I decided to unroot and locked it back to as it used to be.
Work around the OTG cable by using Nexus Media Importer although it can only read USB flash drive and can't write.
Well anyway, sorry a bit out of topic, my question is, is it rooted N7 makes most of the apps in Google Play Store unavailable or I did something wrong when I root my N7?
If what happen to me is normal, then is there a way to make the Google Play Store shows apps the same as unrooted N7?

Thanks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm a new android users so I have couple questions.
I've got my Nexus 7 for like about 4 months now, very happy with it, either gaming browsing chatting or reading.
When I got the Nexus for the first time I've rooted it, but then I found that the Google Play Store has way less apps than before I rooted my devices. So I decided to unroot and locked it back to as it used to be.
Work around the OTG cable by using Nexus Media Importer although it can only read USB flash drive and can't write.
Well anyway, sorry a bit out of topic, my question is, is it rooted N7 makes most of the apps in Google Play Store unavailable or I did something wrong when I root my N7?
If what happen to me is normal, then is there a way to make the Google Play Store shows apps the same as unrooted N7?

Thanks.

You did something weird, lol.. Rooting shouldn't lose you access to apps, except maybe a very few. If you changed your screen density or something that would result in incompatibilities. Not sure what else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

eduuu87

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
You did something weird, lol.. Rooting shouldn't lose you access to apps, except maybe a very few. If you changed your screen density or something that would result in incompatibilities. Not sure what else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, that's what I thought too, there's must be something wrong.
I didn't change the lcd density, rooted as it shows in the forum. Like the firefox, bit torrent beta, and some other apps become incompatible to my nexus7.
Think I'll give it another shot later see if the google play store still weird or normal.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I thought too, there's must be something wrong.
I didn't change the lcd density, rooted as it shows in the forum. Like the firefox, bit torrent beta, and some other apps become incompatible to my nexus7.
Think I'll give it another shot later see if the google play store still weird or normal.

Market issues are commonly fixed by clearing play stores app cache and fixing permissions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Ordered my 32 GB N7 from playstore on 10/30. Received on 11/1. Unlocked and Rooted on 11/2. Getting the feel of it on 11/3. Liking the Stock 4.1.2 so well I may not do a custom rom until something like Sourcery comes out. Might try different kernels, though. Right now I am agonizing and second guessing over what case to get. My question: Why not root? Everything to gain, nothing to lose--and it's so damned easy on the nexus. Especially with such great support and help from devs, mods, advisers like 2defmouze and many others. Man it's the Golden Age of Android Nexus!

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
How can I fix the permissions?
Quit messing with stuff like CWM Recovery, Rom Manager and such. Get WugFresh NRTK and the TWRP recovery. All this stuff is done at the push of a button and simple pop-up instructions. So easy an AFLAC duck could do it!
As a former Cave Man, I ought to know.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Quit messing with stuff like CWM Recovery, Rom Manager and such. Get WugFresh NRTK and the TWRP recovery. All this stuff is done at the push of a button and simple pop-up instructions. So easy an AFLAC duck could do it!
As a former Cave Man, I ought to know.

lol, people on another certain forum board would be all over you if you said that, BUT I do have to agree, if you are not familiar with the process and wary of doing it on your own, those toolkits do it with the push of a button. You just need to be able to read and comprehend what you are doing. It gets the job done, and fast.

Not going to lie, I did a minor boo boo while trying to return to stock and let's just say everything went from bad to worse. I used Wug's toolkit and it saved the day. I just needed to download the image file from Google directly and have the MD5 Checksum number to do it.

CWM is still great if you just want to flash new roms. It's easy enough that you don't need a toolkit for that portion.

As for rooting, when I got home with my 32, I connected straight to my PC and proceeded to root and flash my rom of choice.

Eltedro

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea where to learn how to root i have a samsung galaxy s2 that i bought thats rooted to juggarnut and it sucks because ii get constant update notifications so where do i began

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Root = warranty cancellation
That's why i did not root.
Also, why to root if the device works good?

Sent from my GT-I9100

Warranty cancelation if proven which if your remotely intelligent you would just unroot if there is an issue. That or full on brick and blame it on an update.

If the device works WELL for you by all means fine. But when people complain about updates and about functionality I don't feel bad as I am a supporter of open source and the if you don't like it, fix it mentality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my GT-I9100

If you enjoy stock, then by all means, go ahead, many people do.

However I like to have full control as well as tinkering with the device, installing custom ROMs and kernels, which can make the device even better than it is from the factory. Not to mention if you do get any devices full of bloatware (N7 doesn't have this problem), you can easily take care of it.

Root = warranty cancellation. If something goes wrong, they NEED to prove it was rooting that caused device failure to reject warranty. Most sensible people will return the device to stock before sending it in and obviously not mention anything about it. Also there are many complaints about Asus warranty repair, I'm not even sure if I would even want to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I have had the Samsung Galaxy (S1) phone for almost 2 years now. It was rooted from week 2 and I have loaded countless custom ROMs.... Why not? I can get it back to stock and re-ROMed in 15 minutes. But I feel I am constantly chasing a dream even now with 4.1.2 on it. With my new 32GB Nexus 7, I am liking running with the stock (although is does not seem to be as fluid as my S1) and the only thing I wanted was USB storage access. thanks to you I found a way without rooting!

Now the only other thing I may want is to be able to hook an HDMI cable to it.... anyone??

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my GT-I9100
Because when you unlock and root you gain complete control of your device. Then you can do with it as you please and flashing a ROM in my mind is something to behold because when you flash a ROM your saying this is what I want on my device..and their are so many different options see attached screenshots below..yes if you enjoy stock that's fine but the option's available to you once rooted are sweet..:D ultimately it's your decision weigh your options,make your choice but first make sure you know the pros and cons to both stock and rooted..rooted wins out in my book but hey..its up to you:D
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352254426868.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352254426868.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352254445342.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352254445342.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Jeez guys. If you want to hear people's comments about why people don't root, let them have their opinions. Immediately jumping on people's comments and telling them why you think they are wrong just results in the next guy passing this thread by and not bothering to talk about it.

Anyway, I haven't rooted yet because I haven't bothered to hook it up to the computer yet. I got it a couple days ago, promptly installed "The Bard's Tale" and have just been spending my time with it playing that. Maybe this weekend I'll get around to loading a more pleasing home screen background. If I'm feeling ambitious.

-Suntan

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep this civil. It's a great topic, as old as Moses, but a topic that produces great debate nonetheless. :)

Also, re: warranty cancellation, I disagree.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Jeez guys. If you want to hear people's comments about why people don't root, let them have their opinions. Immediately jumping on people's comments and telling them why you think they are wrong just results in the next guy passing this thread by and not bothering to talk about it.

Anyway, I haven't rooted yet because I haven't bothered to hook it up to the computer yet. I got it a couple days ago, promptly installed "The Bard's Tale" and have just been spending my time with it playing that. Maybe this weekend I'll get around to loading a more pleasing home screen background. If I'm feeling ambitious.

-Suntan

Let's keep this civil. It's a great topic, as old as Moses, but a topic that produces great debate nonetheless. :)

Also, re: warranty cancellation, I disagree.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

@suntan I didn't feel like I was immediately jumping on anyone nor do I feel I am jumping on your comment, if that's how the post sounded , I apologize he posed a question and I answered, nothing more I have no problem with people who enjoy stock...however when people ask a question about whether or not they should root or the benefits of rooting I think it deserves a thorough answer...it can be a confusing part of the android world and people may not have the necessary information in order from them to make the jump confidentially into the world of root, that's really what I want this thread to be...at the very least people can get the information about what rooting is and once they have that information ... and they decide to root or not to root, that's fine by me I am just happy that more android users are at least learning about the rooting lifestyle like dmmarck said let's keep it civil:D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem with answering questions or clearing up noob confusion. I'm just pointing out that you won't get a lot of replies from people that are unaware if you quickly jump on each person's comments. You just tend to shut them down before they even bother posting.

learning about the rooting lifestyle

While we're on the topic, I would hazard to throw out that comments like this aren't helping you convince noobs about the real benefits of rooting. Some people don't look to have their "lifestyle" wrapped around a consumer electronics gadget.

This may seem pedantic, but anyone that starts investigating what rooting may be about, be it here or (God forbid) XDA-Dev, quickly gets it thrown in their face about how ?it?s a Life Style? or the other one you used up above about how, ??You gain complete control of your device.?

What?s that even mean?

To a person that is just wondering about the real world advantages that rooting their email and web surfing gadget can do for them? This kind of talk just turns them off.

Anyway, I would respond to that question by giving them some real world examples. Such as:

1) Rooting will void your warranty. However, this is a morality issue more than a technical issue as it is 99% likely that if a problem occurs, you will be able to return it to stock such that the person approving your warranty will not be able to know. As for the merits of the morality, that comes down to you. If all you do is root the device to run a couple of apps with SU permission and the speaker goes out after a month, most people would say there?s no issue with unrooting and submitting for warranty. However, if you root and install a new kernel/rom that jacks up the processor clock, then want to warranty it because the CPU gets borked, that is a different issue.

2) Rooting is pretty easy. It will literally take you longer to find the right thread in the forum to find the download link than it will take you to root the device.

3) Rooting allows you to install programs that wouldn?t be allowed without root. These are basically the same as installing apps normally, but they need special permissions so they need root. You?re not really changing anything to the system, you?re just installing apps. Think of it as installing a program that needs ?administrator access? in windows. A few examples that may or may not be interesting to you:

- Sixaxis controller ? with root you can use your PS3 controller wirelessly to play games. You can buy other Bluetooth controllers on the market that will work without root, but If you have a DSIII controller already, root can get it working wirelessly for about a buck and a half.

- Ti Backup ? you can backup the files and data from your programs automatically. If you ever need to re-install a program *and* the data you had with it, this can be useful. Most likely though, if you don?t dink around with changing programs a lot, you probably don?t need to be too bothered about this.

- Adfree Android ? You can install an app that will block a lot of the common ads that populate webpages. This makes web browsing quicker and more pleasant. It?s probably one of the most valued results of rooting for ?average? gadget users.

- Flash ? With root you can get your N7 to support flash in a more elegant way than you can without root. You can still get flash working without rooting, but most people seem to agree that the options available once you root are better for this.

- USB host support ? you will be able to support plugging flash drives into the USB port. Like flash, you can do this without root, but most people are of the opinion that having root access allows for more elegant options when accessing USB connections.

There are other apps that need root, and can do other things that aren?t possible without root. I?m sure a search on the play store with the term ?root? will turn up further info.

4) Finally, if you want to spend time with rooting as a hobby in itself, you can go hog wild and ?you can gain complete control of your device.?

Namely, you can install complete new ROMs that will change the basic layout of the system. The gadget will still do all the same things the old one did, it will just move stuff around, change up the menus, etc.

You can also make changes to ?backroom? stuff like change the speed the gadget runs at, permanently disable some functions that you don?t care about, etc. Most likely for someone just looking to actually *use* the device as the consumer electronics gadget it was marketed as, these are irrelevant and can safely be ignored (as much as that comment might likely infuriate the ?lifestyle? rooters.)

-Suntan

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have any desire to root mine until recently. I was getting tired of the notification bar on the top the the home/back/recent apps at the bottom. Wasted space having two bars IMO. Other than that, I was pleased with how it ran. I was a little nervous getting into the system to unlock and root. It's been a long time since I've used the CMD terminal.

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am coming to a similar, but opposite conclusion on this topic - Rooting is for those who prefer to maximize their use of their device (Nexus 7) and is NOT for those who are content to operate within the set up parameters already packed onto it.

I have always been interested in understanding and utilizing my computer to the max of my needs. And since my needs don't seem to be those of the mainstream, it becomes my challenge to find and use my computer in ways that others don't. I know plenty of emailing grannys who are happy with the likes of Kodak's photo albums and playing solitare etc. I prefer to use my computer for the power of its ability to assist me in data tracking and reference which meant adding programs and making those work.

I have read here (big thanks!) and even found a few go-around apps and its tempting to simply not do rooting 'until I need it', but doing that seems like a set up for a more time consuming and painful 'reset' later on down the line. I resent that the Nexus 7 has been set up to be more a sheeple device, but I'm also happy that I can slap it alongside the running lights and waken it back up to a useful too instead of toy. If I have to root to do that - better sooner than later seems prudent. But that's just me take on this topic which I admittedly am not as knowledgeable about as I would like, but tain't ready to move up to geek status either :p
Ad hominem much?

The assumption you're making is that those that don't root are either "sheeple" or "emailing Grannies"?

Wow. Really? Sheeple?