ROM installed fine...Kernel did not

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to anrdoid. The Nexus 7 is my first such device. I've successfully unlocked, rooted, and installed clockwork mod recovery without any issues (thanks to the wonderful guides on this forum). I then installed Paranoid Android, and all was well. Booted and ran great. So then I installed the Motley kernel, now it goes to the Paranoid Android boot screen and goes no further. What did I do wrong, and what should I do from here?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to anrdoid. The Nexus 7 is my first such device. I've successfully unlocked, rooted, and installed clockwork mod recovery without any issues (thanks to the wonderful guides on this forum). I then installed Paranoid Android, and all was well. Booted and ran great. So then I installed the Motley kernel, now it goes to the Paranoid Android boot screen and goes no further. What did I do wrong, and what should I do from here?

Not sure.. haven't tried that kernel and not sure how you went about flashing it. You can dirty flash the ROM over itself again for now (don't wipe anything, or wipe cache and dalvik only), and it will reload the included kernel for you. Be sure to flash the gapps again as well right after.

Also try and do all this from recovery, as in try and break the habit of using ROM Manager :)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I reflashed the ROM and it's working fine for now. When I flashed the kernel I did it from within clockwork mod recovery after running the new ROM for a few a minutes. I never used ROM Manager. Maybe I'll try a different kernel and see how that acts.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Kernel might not like PA. I never used that one, I roll with Franco.

I would read any user feedback about that kernel and make sure it's stable or compatible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Kernel might not like PA. I never used that one, I roll with Franco.

I would read any user feedback about that kernel and make sure it's stable or compatible.

This is true.. PA is CM10-based, and CM has a long history of not cooperating very well with kernel developers. Some kernels won't work with CM at all and some not well. Fwiw I also used franco's when I was running CM10 and didn't have any issues either, but I believe he even said he wasn't making any changes necessary to work properly with CM so you were on your own if it didn't function right, lol.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI, Franco said that he is not providing OC for the N7. There was no reason but he said not to ask why.

I think he said because the thing is so fast that it's silly to overclock it, lol. I mean we do have a combined 16 cores and I have never experienced lag or anything to make me want to overclock. I will say some kernels might hiccup or stutter more than others, which shouldn't be confused with lag, and fwiw I've always found franco's to be the smoothest on both my Gnex and Nexus 7 :)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense. I'll try Franco's kernel out and see how I like it. It's not really bad at all with the PA setup I have now, but you know, it's always fun to tinker a bit more. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie