Basic root questions

Fred615

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi. Basically my first post here. I rooted my N7 fairly early on so that I could use titanium back up and also usb on the go.

1. When I received the latest 4.1.2 update, I would've lost root. Correct?
2. Does rooting leave a history of it on the device? I'm considering sending it off for repair for the screen lift issue and wonder how they'll check if its rooted. Would Google/Asus check for root before attempting a repair? I've tried tightening the screws myself but still have the issue.
3. It was basically pointless rooting for backup as I've now lost root and didn't back up recently. I'm correct in thinking there's no other way of backing up? e.g. game data.
4. I believe there are now applications that allow you to use memory sticks and view/use external memory?

It's partly a test of how Google handle the repair and warranty, and if it goes well then I'll happily be buying myself a Nexus 4 to go with my Nexus 7.
Thanks
Fred

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi. Basically my first post here. I rooted my N7 fairly early on so that I could use titanium back up and also usb on the go.

1. When I received the latest 4.1.2 update, I would've lost root. Correct?
2. Does rooting leave a history of it on the device? I'm considering sending it off for repair for the screen lift issue and wonder how they'll check if its rooted. Would Google/Asus check for root before attempting a repair? I've tried tightening the screws myself but still have the issue.
3. It was basically pointless rooting for backup as I've now lost root and didn't back up recently. I'm correct in thinking there's no other way of backing up? e.g. game data.
4. I believe there are now applications that allow you to use memory sticks and view/use external memory?

It's partly a test of how Google handle the repair and warranty, and if it goes well then I'll happily be buying myself a Nexus 4 to go with my Nexus 7.
Thanks
Fred

1. Yes, you would have lost root when you took the OTA.
2. They won't care if it was rooted but if you are still rooted you'll probably wanna restore it.
3. You can reroot and do a backup.
4. There are root apps that let you attach a usb via an otg cable but it won't work for everything you wanna save there.. App data stays on the main memory

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Fred615

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Just a couple of more things to confirm.
3. Rerooting won't wipe the tablet? It's unlocking the bootloader that does that? So I can reroot, back up everything, unroot and then send off for repair/replacement?
4. I'm only wanting to watch films and listen to music from my memory stick. But you still need root for that? I thought I saw somewhere that it's available without root now.
Thanks

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just a couple of more things to confirm.
3. Rerooting won't wipe the tablet? It's unlocking the bootloader that does that? So I can reroot, back up everything, unroot and then send off for repair/replacement?
4. I'm only wanting to watch films and listen to music from my memory stick. But you still need root for that? I thought I saw somewhere that it's available without root now.
Thanks

Look for the app nexus media importer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX