Adding vibration to the nexus?

dark_samus

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if it would be possible to add vibration to my nexus could it be possible through usb? I mean I won't ever need a keyboard so I could use the dock couldn't I? And with a hub I could add a back camera too there's a nice space inside that looks like it was made for it also if I did manage to get it through usb would I need a custom kernel (I'm guessing I would)

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Android Central Forums

NuclearFenix

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
You would have to create another body to be able to hold all of the modifications, unless you worked on the physical dev team for Google or you're experienced with heavy physical modification, I would not recommend it. It is possible, but you also have to buy the parts that make the tablet vibrate; but in this case it would have to be bigger to easily feel the tablet vibrate, but I am unaware of any tablet that has this feature.

As for the back camera, it's the same deal.
If you were to go through with all of this, you'd be spending alot more money then it's worth.
PLUS! you would have to go through with the coding to get the added features to work as you want.
Hope that helps.

dark_samus

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Well the back camera has a space and an unused solder pad area for a connector for the camera they originally planned for one but never implemented it so it's entirely possible to re add it right just need a new kernel and a camera.apk for it

Sent from my Nexus 7 with CM10 using Android Central Forums

dark_samus

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Well in class today someone had their phone on the table and I had my nexus against the table and when the phone vibrated I felt my tablet vibrate like it had vibration built in anyways it's either a Camera or vibration I'm leaning towards vibration anyways it was an IPhone that did it so probly gonna see if I can find a vibrator from it online and see how hard it'd be too hook up via usb

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm all for modding up stuff just cuz you can so more power to you wanna try.

I think it's going to be much harder than you think it is though. Firstly the hardware is missing so best case you find something that will physically work, either internally or externally and actually get it wired up. But then you have the problem that this device software isn't built to vibrate. Hopefully all the bits are there and you can just find some flag to enable it but more likely the kernel won't support it because it was never coded to handle it. I'm a developer, not Android, and I know when I build something I don't include code that I don't need. Infact I will remove code I don't need if I'm pulling it from elsewhere. No sense in having stuff in there cluttering up and confusing things when you have no use for it.

So you are going to probably be mashing up kernel source from another device to try to get it working. Expect to soft brick (hopefully not hard brick, although that's not easy to do) the device a few times during that process.

The bigger deterrent for me would be that if you do manage to get this working, you're now on you own to maintain it all from a software perspective. Meaning when a new version of Android is released and you want to upgrade you are on your own to merge in your own changes that enable vibration into the kernel and OS before you can upgrade.

Good luck, and post back if you do manage to get it wired up but I think it's going to be a big project. Personally, I hate all notifications on my tablets, including my Transformer Prime which has vibration. I just let my phone handle all that for me so I'm not dismissing them in 3 different locations.

dark_samus

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the kernel will be annoying along with the vibration, pretty much all of it will be lol

Bob Wiggins

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My nexus manual describes the vibration option and how to switch it on for google now notifications. However I've never felt the vibrations and the droiddia app I loaded (very good app btw) needs vibration for some of its operations and does not seem to work as intended. So do I gave vibration or is my unit faulty? (Bob Wiggins - curacon@o2.co uk)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
My nexus manual describes the vibration option and how to switch it on for google now notifications. However I've never felt the vibrations and the droiddia app I loaded (very good app btw) needs vibration for some of its operations and does not seem to work as intended. So do I gave vibration or is my unit faulty? (Bob Wiggins - curacon@o2.co uk)

The Nexus 7 doesn't have vibration...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Molepox

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The N7 has a built-in speaker. Surely there must be an app to use that as a haptic vibration maker. I'd love to know if such an app exists!

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Sad to see this thread die off. I would also be interested in an app that converts haptic feedback calls into useful noise or even vibrates the speaker.

Also interested in a device that attaches via USB or specialty 4-pin connector to add vibration. They have similar devices for the iphone that amplify the sound and small form factor.

I plan to mod my nexus 7 by moving one of the speakers to the top so there's stereo in landscape mode.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7