Where are my ROM Manager Backups in Android 4.2?

Dsat1908

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have a rooted Nexus 7 running 4.2.1 (JOP40D). Prior to 4.2 I had Cyanogenmod 10 installed. I've been using ROM Manager (updated today to v5.0.2.5) and Titanium Backup. Everything worked fine and after running ROM Man and Titanium B, I would connect the Nexus 7 to my Dell XPS 8300 PC & copy the ROM Man backup to my desktop and then copy the entire TB folder to my PC. No problem, did it many times.

Since updating to 4.2 (i know it has multi-user capabilities and some sort of SD/0 card issue....) I can run ROM Man & TB with no problem on my Nexus 7. When I connect the Nexus 7 to my PC via USB and open Windows Explorer when I go to the CWM/Backups folder or the TB folder the only files visible to my PC are from 11/17 which is BEFORE I updated to 4.2.

Question: How do I access my current ROM Manager & TB folders to copy the latest backups to my PC?

I have File Expert & Root Explorer (paid version) installed on my Nexus 7. If I can access the ROM Manager & TB folder from them and copy/paste someplace where my PC can see them, that would be good enough.

Thanks in advance

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
They will be in a new storage folder called either 0 or storage 0. It has to do with the multi user feature of 4.2. You will have to move files from there to the normal storage in appropriate folders so your recovery can find them, or to move to the PC

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I am also puzzled about the new file arrangements in 4.2.

I don't have folders /0 or /storage0. However, there are multiple copies of my /sdcard contents under various folders. They are mostly symlinks, I'm sure.

My new backups are located in /data/media/clockworkmod. However, they are also copied elsewhere. My concern is if I format everything except the "sdcard" (for example to install a brand new ROM, will I lose the backups now. Which is the "real" file and which are the symlinks?

Is there a good guide to the new file structure online?

Thanks.

Dsat1908

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have found CWM/Backups under:

/sdcard/Clockworkmod/Backups

/storage/legacy/emulated/Clockworkmod/Backups

And
/storage/sdcard0/Clockworkmod/Backups

None show anything but the single backup from 11/17 when I was still on 4.1

Dsat1908

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on 4.2. I returned my Nexus 7 back to stock Google image, unlocked bootloader, rooted, downloaded a clean copy of CWM-10 (wiped everything) and I'll stay on 4.1.2 for now. All I have to do is restore my apps & screens which I will do tomorrow. Thanks anyway

Anky Me

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Following are the steps to get your backup on your desktop,
1. install File Explorer (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ore/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx&token=CT5Ww_lc), and after installation add root explorer module from tools.
2. From Fx navigate to path /mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod/backup/ , Select backup folder and archive it.
3. Install AirDroid, and access your mobile file system from computer, navigate to backup file path
4. Download it.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have found CWM/Backups under:

/sdcard/Clockworkmod/Backups

/storage/legacy/emulated/Clockworkmod/Backups

And
/storage/sdcard0/Clockworkmod/Backups

None show anything but the single backup from 11/17 when I was still on 4.1

All u had to do was copy your cmw backup from sdcard 0 to sdcard and u would have been fine

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

boehmtho

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Following are the steps to get your backup on your desktop,
1. install File Explorer (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ore/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx&token=2HmP3Pgj), and after installation add root explorer module from tools.
2. From Fx navigate to path /mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod/backup/ , Select backup folder and archive it.
3. Install AirDroid, and access your mobile file system from computer, navigate to backup file path
4. Download it.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Thank you Anky Me. File Explorer with root explorer module was able to show and copy the files!
I use Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with
CM10.1 (Android 4.2.2 with User Profiles enabled)

Goattee

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have a rooted Nexus 7 running 4.2.1 (JOP40D). Prior to 4.2...
Since updating to 4.2... the only files visible to my PC are from 11/17 which is BEFORE I updated to 4.2.
Question: How do I access my current ROM Manager & TB folders to copy the latest backups to my PC?

The answers people provided don't really address the fundamentals. You want CWM recovery to save to a location you can easily examine with file explorers and also backup via various Android <=> external computer methods.

And I know because I just had to solve the same problem. The issue is that ClockworkMod Recovery does not "know" about the new storage folder hierarchy in 4.2.

The ideal solution is to do a symbolic link as detailed at this web page:
cyanogenmod - Clockwork Mod Can't find backups - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

If you don't already have a Terminal Emulator app on your tablet, download it from the Play Market to perform this brief procedure.

IMPORTANT BEFORE STARTING:
If you have backups you want to keep, be sure to move them all to /data/media/0/clockworkmod/backup before deleting the /data/media/clockworkmod folder!

You can fix it by symlink.

1) remove clockwork dir "rm -rf /data/media/clockworkmod"

2) switch to directory "cd /data/media"

3) create a symbolic link "ln -s /data/media/0/clockworkmod clockworkmod"

that should do it